Last April, PGG contributor Jessie, shared 10 skills or traits that a Pinoy Guy should have. This time he adds 10 more to the list so read on…
11. Tell if someone is lying.
- Everyone has his technique in catching a liar. Not all of them work. My favorites: Liars change the subject almost instantaneously. Liars look up and to their right when they speak. Liars will sometimes stare dead straight into your eyes and employ a dead face. Pick one, test it.
12. Not monopolize the conversation.
- Leave the excessive talking to women. Less talk, less trouble.
- Doggy paddle won’t cut it. Learn two more strokes man, geesh.
14. Throw a punch.
- We here at PGG are advocates of peace in our own right. But knowing how to throw a good punch when the situation calls for it wouldn’t blemish your reputation. Rule of thumb: Swing with your shoulders, not your arm. Forget about a roundhouse punch or a haymaker – you’re not Manny Pacquiao. If you can strike hard using the heel of your palm, go with it. It serves the same purpose.
15. Play chess with an old guy.
- Old men are designed to crush you. They’ll bore you in meaningless chit-chats, tell stories about how life was when he was a kid and how he survived the Japanese colonization etcetera. Just keep focused and beat him to earn his respect. Don’t worry, they can handle it.
16. Drive a car.
- Learn how to drive (safely, with no drama). You don’t want to end up being driven to a restaurant by your date and letting the whole world see how much she owns you. It’s a skill that can save you a lot of headaches in the future. So go out and borrow your uncle’s ride and practice.
17. Talk to a kid.
- See the child as a person of his own. Don’t even start the conversation by pretending to know a lot about Power Rangers or Ben 10 Alien Force. Use his first name and never use baby talk.
18. Cradle a baby.
- Newborns should always be held tightly against the chest. Wrap them up tightly (they like tight spaces, read: womb) and rythmic movements. Sway your hips in a 2-way/left and right motion. Rinse and repeat.
19. Know how to make a lay-up in basketball (even if its not really your sport).
- The ugliest image in the world is a guy who has an ugly form when taking a lay-up. It doesnt matter if you make it or not – what’s important is how you execute it. Don’t be a clown. You live in a country where basketball reigns supreme. Learn it, live with it.
20. Iron a shirt.
- My personal technique: Start rough, end gently.
Jessie is a full-time employee in Makati as a Technical and Billing Support Supervisor and also works as a Freelance Event Organizer. He has a strong passion in sports and urban lifestyle. In his spare time, he reads books and magazines, surfs the Internet and plays video games.