must have

Started by denude, September 04, 2009, 03:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi guys! Ano ba dapat basic na dapat meron sa wardrobe natin? Kasama na rin accessories?

1. perfectly fit black suit
2. dress shirts and neck tie
3. casual shirts - for pinas weather ayos ang plaid and gingham pattern terno pa sa knit tie.
4. comfy cotton T-shirt
5. selvedge jeans
6. chino/khaki for summer
7. club / cargo shorts
8. shoes
9. athletic clothes
10. boxers

3 things for me are:
watch, pen and shoes

before I leave home, I always count 1-2-3 things in my pocket.

1- cellphone
2- wallet
3- hanky

I never leave home without these.

i need to check first in my bag if i got these:

-wallet
-perfume
-cellphones
-lotion
-mouth wash
-alcohol
-facial tissue
-ids

naisip ko lang meron dapat for any occasion.
formal / office / corporate attire
casual / light
beach / summer wear / swimming
jacket /cold weather
sports / jogging

accessories, ok na ang watch. dapat yung mga classic at wag yung fashionable. good investment naman talaga mga branded watches.

.....cellphone, wristwatch at wallet

Quote from: fox69 on February 07, 2010, 02:14:44 AM
watch, cellphone, wallet and alcohol ( just in case hehehe )

....so may bag kang dala for your alcohol? di ako sanay ng may bag unless magtennis ako or magbasketball.....

Quote from: fox69 on February 20, 2010, 03:43:19 PM
Quote from: pinoybrusko on February 20, 2010, 02:47:05 PM
Quote from: fox69 on February 07, 2010, 02:14:44 AM
watch, cellphone, wallet and alcohol ( just in case hehehe )

....so may bag kang dala for your alcohol? di ako sanay ng may bag unless magtennis ako or magbasketball.....

palagi akong may bag..i feel naked without a bag..at saka, in case ( knock on wood ) may holdaper, mahihirapan syang hanapin yung cellphone at wallet ko kasi palaging maraming laman ang bag ko,,baka dumating na mga pulis di pa nya mahanap yung gusto nya

....hahaha ok yan ah.....mejo magkaiba tau, ayoko ng maraming abubot sa wallet or sa bag like mga tickets, receipts or IDs na hinde kailangan tinatanggal ko.....every week nililinis ko laman ng wallet ko at sa sasakyan ko....I see to it kung ano lang ang kailangan ko un lang ang nakalagay dun....

hmmm... tim gunn wrote about what he perceived to be the "10 Fashion Essentials For Women"... found the article online, and i modified it a bit. i didn't come up with 10 (honestly, men don't need a lot to look good), but here's what i think every man should have:

Basic Black Suit
Every guy should have a nicely tailored black suit to fit any formal occasion. And please... you never rent stuff like this... rented stuff always turns out to be a nightmare... you have this stuff tailor-fit to your body. 'Nuff said.

Dress Pants and/or Chinos
A guy can't be in formal wear all the time. Since smart casual is the new corporate chic, having nice pants that fit you properly (meaning they shouldn't be brushing the floor like mops, or look like they're going to fall off of you if someone accidentally snags your pants). It's always good to have either dress pants or chinos in either black, gray or beige / tan (i personally prefer gray, brown, and beige for everyday wear --- black is good for formal meetings, but it just seems too stiff).

Classic Shirts and Polos
Now Pinoys aren't usually on the same page on what a "shirt" is. Most guys tend to think that a shirt is a "t-shirt", which it isn't (and this usually gets a lot of guys into trouble when they start working for American-based call-centers / BPOs). A shirt would normally refer to your button-downs with collars (whether long-sleeved or short-sleeved). A "polo" (or, depending on the material, a golf shirt) refers to a t-shirt with a collar, that can be buttoned-down to your chest. A "tee" / t-shirt is either a round neck or a v-neck pull-over (if it has a button-down to your chest, it's then called a "henley").

The white shirt is a definite classic must-have, but having a couple of formal dress-shirts (plain, long-sleeved shirts that are meant to be worn with a tie) in different colors are also nice. Throwing in polo shirts are a good thing so that you can loosen up in the office, even on a regular day. It's always great to have either shirts or polo's in differing designs (i.e. stripes, two or three toned, etc.), but they have to be appropriate for both the office and for fun.

Graphic and Plain Tees
As for t-shirts, i categorize them into two --- the ATTITUDE tees, and the PLAINS. Attitudes or Graphic Tees are there to make a statement, and can stand alone, or can be accentuated with a nice open blazer or jacket. Plains are there as a cool filler when you're wearing a cardigan or a coat.

You can have as many graphic tees as you want --- they're supposed to express who you are. But, you need to have some essential tees that you can use to balance out your wardrobe --- plain white or colored round or v-neck shirts (depending on what you're wearing; classic colors - white and gray), round or v-neck striped shirts (thin stripes with contrasting colors; black vs. white, blue vs. gray, red vs. white... up to you).

Jeans
Everyone has a pair of jeans, but does everyone have a pair of jeans that make them look great? I grew up in the 90's, and low-waisted jeans was everyone's thing. After a few years, you tend to discover that that was a fluke, and it looks utterly inane to come to work in bad fitting jeans (and you realize that this goes the same when you go on gimmicks). Whether you prefer to have traditional cuts or low-rise jeans, straight-cuts or boot-cuts, as long as the jeans that you wear fit the line of your leg, and as long as they are CUT and HEMMED properly, they will always look great!

In terms of the kind of denim, i prefer jeans that don't follow the "destruction" trend (they're popular nowadays, but I don't want to waste my time on something I can't wear both to the office and to a night-out).

You should have at least 3 pairs of jeans in different shades / colors. Sanded-vintage washes are really cool, but I also like deep-dark indigo shades too. It's also nice to also have a pair of gray and/or white jeans to break the monotony of your collection (yes... white... i know... hard to maintain, but uber cool with a dark polo, a nice cap, and leather sandals ^^).

Essential Outerwear
Here are some key items to spruce up your wardrobe to create new looks ALL THE TIME:
> a jacket (i personally prefer barracuda / italian-inspired pieces... the most classic jacket types would either be a harrington jacket, or a light short peacoat)
> a light blazer / sport coat (denim or canvas blazers are a good smart casual alternative; it would be good to have two --- one in dark blue, black, or gun-metal gray, and one in light brown or beige)
> a cardigan (i personally love grandpa-type cardigans in dark colors like navy blue, gray and brown; zip up cardigans are also nice too... i have two of these)
> a hoodie (a more recent trend that has become an instant classic)

Shoes
I wrote something about shoes in another thread, but I guess it's appropriate to transfer it here since good shoes are always an essential to a good wardrobe. i subscribe to the philosophy that a person's shoes pretty much tells you a lot about them. invest in good pairs of classic shoes that, apart from lasting you a long time, will always be fashionable.

the basics:
> one dress shoe (usually black in natural leather)
> two smart casual shoes (one in black and another in either dark tan or leathery brown; up to you if you prefer slip-ons or oxfords)
> at least one good pair of sneakers (and i always prefer getting something in white combined with another color... it's always a classic; addidas, nike and gola are my faves)
> one pair of driving or walking shoes (for casual nights with friends; a nice pair of sanuks or tretorn canvas shoes would be great; leather moccasins are the best of course)
> a good pair of beach sandals (depends if you prefer leather sandals like those from birkenstock, or rubber thong slippers from havs, ipanema or crocs)

style wise — i go for plainer looking shoes that have leather work (cuts and engraving) or mixed tones (leather and suede mixes) as opposed to those clunky looking metal things attached to them. for one thing, it makes the shoe look tacky. second, you don't want those things rusting and damaging your shoe in the long run. men are supposed to have plainer looking shoes. they're cool, and have a greater masculine appeal. i guess since men wear pants most of the time, we don't get to show off most of the shoe... we just need to make sure what's shown stands out, right?

I guess that should be about it... essentials lang naman eh ^^,  I was thinking of writing something about hats, but then again, i've known guys who look good even without hats ^^p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still need to finish this article... will get back to it right away... hehehe!!!

......this can be included as an article in the front page!!! don't you want to contribute to the site hyprmanic? this is a good deal....I learned a lot from your post....now, I need to organize my wardrobe....thanks for this....

Quote from: pinoybrusko on March 31, 2010, 01:29:53 PM
......this can be included as an article in the front page!!! don't you want to contribute to the site hyprmanic? this is a good deal....I learned a lot from your post....now, I need to organize my wardrobe....thanks for this....

you're welcome ^^,

since the article is here anyway, chris can always take it and repost it on his page. as long as people find it useful, i'm all for it.

i'm researching a bit more on plus-size stuff. like i mentioned in chris' page, it's an under-serviced segment in the market for men's wear, and not a lot of big filipino men have fashionable alternatives. will post more on that soon ^^,

Quote from: hyprmanic on March 31, 2010, 02:32:51 PM
Quote from: pinoybrusko on March 31, 2010, 01:29:53 PM

you're welcome ^^,

since the article is here anyway, chris can always take it and repost it on his page. as long as people find it useful, i'm all for it.

i'm researching a bit more on plus-size stuff. like i mentioned in chris' page, it's an under-serviced segment in the market for men's wear, and not a lot of big filipino men have fashionable alternatives. will post more on that soon ^^,

....that's great I would benefit from that also, since I'm a big person too.....kudos for you hyprmanic....

Quote from: hyprmanic on March 31, 2010, 05:07:12 AM
I guess that should be about it... essentials lang naman eh ^^,  I was thinking of writing something about hats, but then again, i've known guys who look good even without hats ^^p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still need to finish this article... will get back to it right away... hehehe!!!

.....yes, share about the hats....I'll wait for that.....ako, I look good when I wear a baseball cap (any plain color like white, black, khaki, navy blue, etc. with small logo in front like check mark for Nike, NY for New York, etc.).....yan lang nasusuot ko na hats and never tried the others......ayoko ng mga loud designs and bright colored na baseball caps.....