Filipinos as fashion trendsetter?

Started by angelo, November 10, 2008, 11:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
taken from wherelese: PGG article.

read it here: http://www.pinoyguyguide.com/2008/11/why-cant-philippines-be-a-fashion-trendsetter.html

your thoughts? this is worthy of a discussion i believe.

yay, i have read the post pero as usual NOSEBLEED ako.. intepreter please! ahehhehe

nakita nyo ba ung pics? ASTIG ung mga clothes nung models.. pwede sa pop-culture ng pinas... sariling atin kumbaga.. di naman weird tingnan.. u wanna see weird? harajuku fashion sa japan.. weird but COOL..

Quote from: angelo on November 10, 2008, 11:06:25 PM
taken from wherelese: PGG article.

read it here: http://www.pinoyguyguide.com/2008/11/why-cant-philippines-be-a-fashion-trendsetter.html

your thoughts? this is worthy of a discussion i believe.

di ko rin masagot to. haha. pero sa tingin ko dahil na rin sa ni-idolize natin ang Western culture masyado bilang colony ng US dati. sana mabago yung mindset na ganon.

Quote from: Prince Pao on November 10, 2008, 11:16:42 PM
nakita nyo ba ung pics? ASTIG ung mga clothes nung models.. pwede sa pop-culture ng pinas... sariling atin kumbaga.. di naman weird tingnan.. u wanna see weird? harajuku fashion sa japan.. weird but COOL..

haha @Prince Pao astig ng clothes no? pwedeng pamporma! haha.

ung sa lalaki parang semi-formal.. pero ung sa girl papasa un as pamporma.. sana magkaroon talaga ng ganun dito sa pinas..

what if gawin ko un? hehe.. pwede parisan ung upper nung lalaki ng jeans/shorts or with sneakers.. basta, the possibilities are endless. bigla tuloy ako nagkainteres.. sana may clothing line talaga na ganun.. UBERCOOL

Quote from: Prince Pao on November 10, 2008, 11:16:42 PM

malamig kc sknila eh kaya ok lng mag harajuku or goth lolitas.... tska pag d2 pag nkasuot kna nun pran nnkawin lng sau mga pulubi sa daan ung super palamuti mu ahiihih.

ano bang nasa pop culture ng pinas ang masasabi mong sariling atin? parang halos lahat ata naimpluwensyahan ng banyaga eh..

we lost our identity ever since.... mga filipinos kc mhilig sa form rather than substance.

we really cant blame our culture. it has been influenced (whether badly or not I cant justify) by so many cultures including asian.

There will also always be an aspirational value into fashion since we are a 3rd world country sabi nga nila (pero hindi ako naniniwala), we cannot dictate such trends. everything is an in-flow from what we see.

well yung jeans na may butas sa tuhod dati at sa hita, sa tingin ko naman pinoy yun ah. dala ng kahirapan? hehe!

@ angelo

the tattered jeans has become more of a socio-economic indicator... hehe...;D if that's the case, wala nang magsusuot nyan...

in my opinion, i think it is because of the fact that we Filipinos tend to become xenocentric of ourselves or has this belief that other country's culture, ideas and style are far better than ours... that I say can also be the reason why most of us go for what we call "stateside" or "imported" products... our being xenocentric takes its effect on us on why we fail to be trendsetters on our own and usually end up following/copying other trends abroad...:(

but we can't directly blame ourselves here...  this is because we were once under colonial rule... early Filipinos were so brainwashed by our colonizers that they are far more superior in all other aspects... so what we see now is the result...:(

today, i really appreciate the pinoys who want to make a difference and has the initiative for change to this social dilemma even if it is just in the fashion industry... take for example team manila, C2's My Pilipinas line, happy days and others... this can be a good start already... ;D there are also other designers venturing to use native fabrics like abaca and piña even banig on their clothes.... giving them a modern twist... like the ones in the article... i think part of the problem is the government's fault... they don't give much importance when it comes to this... they do have programs but still not enough to achieve its purpose...

sometimes...

gaya gaya lng ang mga fashionista sa ibang bansa...

;)

Quote from: life is EC on November 12, 2008, 02:44:28 PM
@ angelo

the tattered jeans has become more of a socio-economic indicator... hehe...;D if that's the case, wala nang magsusuot nyan...

in my opinion, i think it is because of the fact that we Filipinos tend to become xenocentric of ourselves or has this belief that other country's culture, ideas and style are far better than ours... that I say can also be the reason why most of us go for what we call "stateside" or "imported" products... our being xenocentric takes its effect on us on why we fail to be trendsetters on our own and usually end up following/copying other trends abroad...:(

but we can't directly blame ourselves here...  this is because we were once under colonial rule... early Filipinos were so brainwashed by our colonizers that they are far more superior in all other aspects... so what we see now is the result...:(

today, i really appreciate the pinoys who want to make a difference and has the initiative for change to this social dilemma even if it is just in the fashion industry... take for example team manila, C2's My Pilipinas line, happy days and others... this can be a good start already... ;D there are also other designers venturing to use native fabrics like abaca and piña even banig on their clothes.... giving them a modern twist... like the ones in the article... i think part of the problem is the government's fault... they don't give much importance when it comes to this... they do have programs but still not enough to achieve its purpose...

for real? that is why i asked. but it all depends on how it has been done. i have a pair which has patched-up designs and furrows but it was done in good taste. i dont think it can say much about income brackets, much less your social status.

exactly how i want to put it. being influenced and as you said brainwashed by colonizers, we cannot take away that fact even it were years ago. it would have residual effects, and the fact that most people seek jobs outside of the country reveals a lot. however, fusion of different cultures may give birth to a unique one we can call our own. hey, we never know, the world might too small to differentiate. :D

YES! i do appreciate and actually SUPPORT most of them in whatever endeavor these groups have, especially in promoting the FILIPINO culture. Thanks to PES, one of the posters here, i have come to learn about www.yabangpinoy.com.

Angelo, your welcome.

Yabang Pinoy is indeed an awesome site for all of us Filipinos.

From clothing, lifestyle to our culture and traditions, etc.

YabangPinoy site is a must visit to know how being boastful can also sometimes be a good trait -- wag lang papasobra ha?

I'm Boastful of being a Filipino!

Word Peace *haha*

NOTE:

My blog http://patricioelsuplado.blogspot.com is a follower of Yabang Pinoy and a virtual advocate of them. that's why I placed their banner on my blog. If you have a blog, embed their banners in your blog, too!

.......this will take time pero ako I'm hoping also that someday foreigners would say, that's a filipino fashion

......naisip ko lang ung pinasikat na dress ni Imelda Marcos para sa babae at ung mga Igorot clothes pde un maging mark as originally pinoy.....