What's your religious affiliation?

Started by Mr.Yos0, July 11, 2010, 11:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
if i have to reiterate that theres no way we can convince anybody to believe in God through this forum... i will ... believing in God is a personal thing... di mababawasan ang Diyos if you dont believe Him and at the same time di naman tayo better than the rest if were just saying we believe in God... Only God can judge all our motives here... if you have love in your heart ... di mo man sabihin na kristyano ka ...in the sight of the Lord ... anak ka nya... if you dont believe God so be it... when Christ died on the cross 2000 yrs ago... He died once and for all... blessed are those who believe even if they dont see... thats faith.. you know and you know that ... there is God...no human explanation can really understand it... its beyond what our natural minds can fathom...peace be with you all

Quote from: joshgroban on July 26, 2010, 04:03:19 PM
if i have to reiterate that theres no way we can convince anybody to believe in God through this forum... i will ... believing in God is a personal thing

Agreed, there's no way, that's why you need faith. You believe in your religion and that is good.

There is no point in arguing, no point for a believer to try to convince an otherwise happy atheist living a morally good life, and vice-versa.

Peace.

.. and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.  :)

di naman tayo nag-argue dito pinaguusapan lang ang issue.

Andun pa din yung respect sa kanya kanyang opinyon. Mas professional naman ang usapin dito kesa sa Pex na ROT thread  ::)

Quote from: pinoybrusko on July 26, 2010, 08:39:06 PM

Andun pa din yung respect sa kanya kanyang opinyon. Mas professional naman ang usapin dito kesa sa Pex na ROT thread  ::)

i agree with brusko.. we don't argue here..nilalatag natin ang mga kuro-kuro, pananaw... if you think nag-aaway na tayo dito 'wag na tayong mag-forum diba????? sino ba namimilit na paniwalaan ang isang bagay? wala naman diba?

Just some anecdotes from renowned scientists:

1. Stephen Hawking, a British astrophysicist said: "Then we shall... be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God."

2. Johannes Kepler, the one who formulated the Laws of Planetary Motion said: "I had the intention of becoming a theologian...but now I see how God is, by my endeavors, also glorified in astronomy, for 'the heavens declare the glory of God.'"

3. Isaac Newton, formulator of the 3 Laws of Motion said: " This thing [a scale model of our solar system] is but a puny imitation of a much grander system whose laws you know, and I am not able to convince you that this mere toy is without a designer and maker; yet you, as an atheist, profess to believe that the great original from which the design is taken has come into being without either designer or maker! Now tell me by what sort of reasoning do you reach such an incongruous conclusion?"

4. Michael Faraday also said: "Speculations? I have none. I am resting on certainties. 'I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day.'"

5. James Prescott Joule who described the First Law of Thermodynamics said: "It is evident that an acquaintance with natural laws means no less than an acquaintance with the mind of God therein expressed."

6. Louis Pasteur said: "The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator."

And yes,

7. Albert Einstein, who did not believe in a personal God said: "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." He also said, "I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangements of the books, but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God."

I cannot blame atheists and agnostics to be such. I believe they are who they are because of experiences. Let not science be the reason for science synergizes the divine. :-)

Quote from: judE_Law on July 27, 2010, 11:35:52 AM
Quote from: pinoybrusko on July 26, 2010, 08:39:06 PM

i agree with brusko.. we don't argue here..nilalatag natin ang mga kuro-kuro, pananaw... if you think nag-aaway na tayo dito 'wag na tayong mag-forum diba????? sino ba namimilit na paniwalaan ang isang bagay? wala naman diba?

I was referring to the general case, not specific to this forum.

@ctan: Hehe, you should not be selective of the scientists' quotes and take them out of context.

Hi carpediem! Of course I am selective. :-) anyway, I'm only trying to raise the point that science shouldn't be the reason for man's disbelief of the divine as even some of the world's greatest scientists and advocates of the scientific method are strong proponents of the existence of a supernatural being that we all commonly know as God. :-)

Quote from: ctan on July 28, 2010, 11:49:30 AM
Hi carpediem! Of course I am selective. :-) anyway, I'm only trying to raise the point that science shouldn't be the reason for man's disbelief of the divine as even some of the world's greatest scientists and advocates of the scientific method are strong proponents of the existence of a supernatural being that we all commonly know as God. :-)

take it from the doc, carpediem..
hi doc ctan.. buti ka pa! si Solomon walang balak magpaliwanag kay carpediem..

hahaha natatakot mapahiya siguro  ;D kasi expected natin na marami siyang alam about Religion and to defend it kasi magpapari siya

Quote from: ctan on July 28, 2010, 11:49:30 AM

Of all the people Doc, you shouldn't be selective. :) I hope that is not the case when you are doing medical reviews and the like.  ;D

To balance a bit:

Stephen Hawking also said "There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, (and) science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works."

Albert Einstein also said "I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings."

and "If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism."

As a side note, many atheists do not have problem with Buddhism, because it is nontheistic/agnostic.

Anyway, point taken.

Medically wise, we are also to be selective in the information that we receive from patients. Selective in a way that we are able to filter out what features are salient or pertinent to the case. :-) And even in research. For example in doing a metananalysis on a certain topic, we take into consideration everything that's within the scope of the general thesis. However, we put limits to the topic and select which ones are essential and not. That's why we think in order to be properly selective. :-)

Anyway, back to topic. :-) Yes, Stephen Hawking said that during an interview at ABC World News. However, when we continue with the interview, he also said, "what could define God [is thinking of God] as the embodiment of the laws of nature. However, this is not what most people would think of that God. They made a human-like being with whom one can have a personal relationship. When you look at the vast size of the universe and how insignificant an accidental human life is in it, that seems most impossible."

About Einstein. It was clear in the anecdote I quoted. It makes him angry if people quote him that he supports the view of an atheist. I have read that Einstein was more attracted to Buddhism, and I wouldn't be surprised at all, because even if he doesn't want to call himself pantheist, he's more so inclined to it. He does not believe in a personal God because he thinks that a personal God is a reflection of human frailty -- a character that is not apt for the God who revealed Himself through the cosmos.