Euthanasia

Started by Mr.Yos0, July 12, 2010, 06:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
is it a sin?

a person who suffers from an incurable disease chooses to end his life through some medical processes or other ways. the poor patient finds it very hard to continue living and yet death escapes them.
can it be considered suicide? even though the cause is to end physical suffering?

it depends on perspective.

-looking in a church perspective, it is still a sin. We don't have the right to stop one's life even to the last minute of his life.

-looking in a state's perspective, kung alam mo na wala ng pag-asa pa siyang mabuhay at nabubuhay na lang siya sa pamamagitan ng mga equipments like breathing apparatus and others it is not a sin. Pinagaan mo lang ang buhay niya kasi alam mong nahihirapan na siya at pinagaan mo din ang financial obligations mo kesa magkanda-utang utang ka afterwards. this is an example of a hopeless case  :)

^ Grabe naman mga cases na yan.

For case 3, the woman could choose. But if I were her or her family members, death is the better choice.

For case 2, let the boy choose if he could. If not then it is the decision of his parents. But I would say letting him die by starving him for 5 days is just too cruel. Some other methods would make him die more peacefully.

For case 1, again it is the decision of his family members. If they could afford it, they can keep him alive. I don't know medicine, but I think there is no hope for brain dead. So my opinion is to let him go. Him being brain dead won't suffer anymore if you take away the respirator.

this is non-doctor point of view kasi alam ko may mga solutions ang doctors dito

Case1 : A 40 year old guy who is brain dead due to an accident that involved the lower part of the brain but is being kept alive with a respirator that costs P20,000/day with an ICU room that costs P50,000 day. The respirator is required to maintain daily living.
Would you take away the respirator?

- No, interview the background of the patient and his family and if they can't afford it inform them the situation para hinde ka responsible sa gagawin mo. Compute all the expenses and show it to the family plus a waiver letter.

Case2: An 18 year old teenage boy who completely in a coma, paralyzed and unable to chew, open his mouth and swallow food. Food is entirely dependent on another person giving liquified food through a tube directly inserted to a stomach. It would take 5 days without food to kill the boy. The body can live for a long time with this kind of life.
Would you withdraw the food?

- No, as long as the family could pay for his needs and expenses a doctor has no right to do that.

Case 3: A 65 year old woman who has end stage cancer who is in extreme pain. Prognosis is a slow death within a week. You have given him the maximum dose of morphine (to kill the pain), and cannot give him more without the risk of death by aphyxiation.
Would you end his suffering by injecting  more morphine or watch to die in agony for a whole week?

- No, inform the family the situation that this lady will only live for a week. They should decide on this matter and if they agree let them sign the waiver.

pag neremove na yung machine at matitigil na rin ang paghinga nya dead na rin yun di ba... if God decides to have a miracle...di na nya yuun patatagalin...what do you think

When you are in the hospital setting na, these cases will really be very real. Sa experience ko, andami na talaga cases na ganito and sometimes, when you can't do anything and you have developed good relationship with the patient already, it is really heart-breaking.

Now, lemme answer the cases. This is just my point of view and this does not have any bearing on what my hospital actually would stand for. Anyway.

In all these cases, I will wait for the patient's relatives to sign the DNAR (Do not attempt resuscitation) is ever the patient would undergo cardiac arrest. However, if they still can't decide or if the patient does not undergo cardiac arrest, optimal care is given to the patient. I would still continue giving the right treatment until the patient's last breath. My rationale for agreeing with DNAR is that the quality of life of the patient would not be the life we really want for them to live. If they cannot function anymore, with respiration that is assisted, I would rather concede to a DNAR.

sometimes, tinitingnan ko na lang in terms of practicality. in the end, mamatay din naman lahat. oo mahirap kasi parang walang moral ascendancy, pero ito ang buhay - we also have to move on with our own journey.