Free will vs. Destiny

Started by Mr.Yos0, July 12, 2010, 07:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I have a college friend who believes in this multiuniverse system. We used to argue way back in college about that. I don't believe in a multiuniverse system kasi. :-) hehe. But I'm open to persuasions carpediem. Hehehe!

No I'm not saying that I believe in multiple universes. It's just one of the many hypotheses.

In the multiverse, there are possibly infinitely many versions of our universe. You and I exist in some of them, but not on most, since we may have died early, or may not have been born in those in the first place.

Free will in this context would be our chosen actions in each universe in the set of all universes.

is this the same as the parallel universe?

Yes. Usually kasi when people think of parallel universe, parang dalawa lang, our own and a parallel one.

There are actually many hypotheses. For example in one version, universes don't have the same physical constants (gravity, speed of light, etc.). Parang based on probabilities lahat.

Wala ba tayong theoretical physicists dito or someone who is knowledgeable on quantum theory? hehehe

Yeah, it would be better if someone expert in that field can explain what parallel universe means. :-)

and about the image, hmmm.... hindi ba lahat ng bagay spring out from probabilities? :-) before we do something, it is already a probability that we will do it. another of the probabilities is that we would do otherwise. :-)

free will exists hinde dahil sa atoms and particles which comprises the physical body of the human being. Remember, we believe that human is comprised of body and soul  :)

Quote from: ctan on January 16, 2011, 11:41:46 AM
Quote from: Yon9 on January 16, 2011, 11:36:23 AM
Your destiny is the product of your free will.

Naniniwala ako na tayu gumagawa ng sarili nating kapalaran :)

this is an oxymoron. :-)

how can something predestined (which is destiny) be something determined by current actions (freewill)? in other words, a thesis and an anti-thesis being in synergism just doesn't make sense at all. it's always a clash and there must be a resolution. :-) destiny and free will are both opposite terms. unless one can give me a sound explanation of their synergism, this perspective about destiny and freewill remains an oxymoron to me. :-)

not unless you think that your destiny is your goal, then this oxymoron will no longer be called as such.

I believe there is no freewill in the absolute sense. But we have a certain power to exercise our own will given a circumstance.

^ oo nga naman. it can be an illusion as you travel in your destiny.

it may be limited, but there will always be a choice.

Quote from: angelo on May 03, 2011, 10:35:31 PM
it can be an illusion as you travel in your destiny.

i'll buy this idea. :-)