lets examine John Mayer's lyrics in No Such Thing

Started by solomon, July 15, 2010, 11:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
it says in the lyrics

"...I just found out there's no such thing as the real world, just a lie you've got to rise above"

nung una hindi ko to naintindihan. pero napagtanto ko, may halong katotohanan to. pwedeng totoo ang nakikita mo pero sa ibang aspect hindi. it hides lang ng lie kung ano ang lumalabas na totoo

what's your take on this?

we might just be living in a cosmic simulation

Quote from: fox69 on July 17, 2010, 05:53:08 AM
^^^ first of all, the song NO SUCH THING is John Mayer's own thoughts of going back to his high school days and realizing that he was taught some fallacies, one of his realizations being "there's no such thing as a real world" ...when interviewed by MTV  in the whirlwind promotion of the album ROOM FOR SQUARES ( from which this song is taken ) in October, 2001, Mayer said that the song is his way of coping with the stress brought about by too much "high school insights" ( these are my own words since i cannot remember his exact words)..im sharing this information so that we have a starting point in our analysis of the lyrics of the song ;D

let's apply this line to real life and not based on John Mayer's thoughts..

Quote from: fox69 on July 17, 2010, 05:53:08 AM
^^^ first of all, the song NO SUCH THING is John Mayer's own thoughts of going back to his high school days and realizing that he was taught some fallacies, one of his realizations being "there's no such thing as a real world" ...when interviewed by MTV  in the whirlwind promotion of the album ROOM FOR SQUARES ( from which this song is taken ) in October, 2001, Mayer said that the song is his way of coping with the stress brought about by too much "high school insights" ( these are my own words since i cannot remember his exact words)..im sharing this information so that we have a starting point in our analysis of the lyrics of the song ;D

i agree.

talks about the real world from the high school boy's POV.

as if we are living in a "fake" world? you really have to be your best, as in survival of the fittest. school is there to somehow "prepare" you later in life. most of what we do in life are not exactly taught in school. so it is considered "the real world" once you graduate from school.

Somehow, the lyrics of the song, "No Such Thing" by John Mayer guides people to make special thoughts about real life. That no matter how your parents guide you through life, man has his ways of living it according to what he wants. And through this he is able to discover what real life is all about, it could be good or it could be bad.