Are you racist?

Started by carpediem, August 07, 2010, 01:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
For me it is just over-generalization. She just stated that "a Cebuano can hardly speak English and of course Tagalog" whether it is true or not. It is just like saying Filipinos can hardly speak English, and so Filipinos may just as well speak in Filipino and have a translator translate it to English. If on the other hand she said "a Cebuano can hardly speak English or Tagalog and may just as well stop trying" then that is discriminatory.

I get your point carpediem, pero it's different when she said it. Apart from her direct discriminatory statement, she preceded it with "when you think about a Cebuano...". It seems as if she has thought about it thoroughly, and thought that it is brilliant when she made a generalization that indeed "a Cebuano CAN HARDLY speak English and of course Tagalog". It isn't just or fair which makes it discriminatory for me. I'm not Cebuano, but I'm a Bisaya. And it frustrates me when someone looks down on what we Bisaya are able to do.

its just wrong wordplay. but the intent is there.
the point is just to use whatever native language you learned to make it more comfortable to you to answer and avoid any major major problem that could have cost you the crown.

Quote from: angelo on September 06, 2010, 10:38:20 PM
the point is just to use whatever native language you learned to make it more comfortable to you to answer and avoid any major major problem that could have cost you the crown.

then i think it should be Gloria Diaz who should have used Tagalog when she made that statement! hehehe!

back to topic na hehehe sayang lang oras natin kay Gloria  ;D

Quote from: ctan on September 06, 2010, 12:05:26 AM
Quote from: judE_Law on September 05, 2010, 10:15:06 PM
Quote from: ctan on September 05, 2010, 06:16:18 PM
I really think that Gloria Diaz's statement regarding Cebuanos could probably be misubderstood, but the essence of her statement is really discriminatory, not to mention downgrading and a form of mockery.

nabasa ko sa isang article..
"hindi tungkol sa kung nakakasalita sila ng ingles kundi kung naiintindihan ba nila yung ingles, base sa pagkakasabi ni diaz hindi nga nila siya naiintindihan."

i think mali lang siguro sila ng pagkakaintindi kay gloria diaz.
alam niyo naman tayong mga Pinoy masyadong balat-sibuyas.. -ayan ha.. referring ako sa ating lahat ng Pinoy.

pero jude, really, i watched the video kanina and she said: "(in verbatim) kasi when you think about a Cebuano can hardly speak English and of course Tagalog so maybe she should answer in in in Bisaya"

very stereotypical answer. and of course, discriminatory.

okay.. himayin natin ang sinabi niya...
"kasi when you thin about a Cebuano can hardly pseak english and of course tagalog" - Cebuano ang sinabi niya not cebuanos.. referring to a single person.. lahat ba ng cebuano eh fluent in english? hindi naman siguro diba? what she is trying to say ay kung may cebuano na hirap magsalita ng english or tagalog.. pwede siyang magsalita in her native language at kumuha tayo ng interpreter.

Quote from: ctan on September 07, 2010, 01:03:52 AM
Quote from: angelo on September 06, 2010, 10:38:20 PM

then i think it should be Gloria Diaz who should have used Tagalog when she made that statement! hehehe!

nah. at the end of the day, you can't blame it on her. she has proved herself already.

Quote from: judE_Law on September 08, 2010, 02:22:15 PM
Quote from: ctan on September 06, 2010, 12:05:26 AM
Quote from: judE_Law on September 05, 2010, 10:15:06 PM
Quote from: ctan on September 05, 2010, 06:16:18 PM
I really think that Gloria Diaz's statement regarding Cebuanos could probably be misubderstood, but the essence of her statement is really discriminatory, not to mention downgrading and a form of mockery.

nabasa ko sa isang article..
"hindi tungkol sa kung nakakasalita sila ng ingles kundi kung naiintindihan ba nila yung ingles, base sa pagkakasabi ni diaz hindi nga nila siya naiintindihan."

i think mali lang siguro sila ng pagkakaintindi kay gloria diaz.
alam niyo naman tayong mga Pinoy masyadong balat-sibuyas.. -ayan ha.. referring ako sa ating lahat ng Pinoy.

pero jude, really, i watched the video kanina and she said: "(in verbatim) kasi when you think about a Cebuano can hardly speak English and of course Tagalog so maybe she should answer in in in Bisaya"

very stereotypical answer. and of course, discriminatory.

okay.. himayin natin ang sinabi niya...
"kasi when you thin about a Cebuano can hardly pseak english and of course tagalog" - Cebuano ang sinabi niya not cebuanos.. referring to a single person.. lahat ba ng cebuano eh fluent in english? hindi naman siguro diba? what she is trying to say ay kung may cebuano na hirap magsalita ng english or tagalog.. pwede siyang magsalita in her native language at kumuha tayo ng interpreter.

i dont agree with your analysis jude. :-) if i say, "think about this: a FILIPINO can't speak English fluently". How would it differ with this statement: "Filipinos can't speak English fluently"? They both convey the same thing. However, they differ in their manner of concluding. the first statement is INDUCTIVE, while the second one is DEDUCTIVE. so there's really no point when she used CEBUANO (singular) as compared to using CEBUANOS (plural), as both points convey that Cebuano/s can hardly speak English and of course Tagalog.

by the way, how would you feel when someone says this: "kasi when you think about a Kapampangan can hardly speak English and of course Tagalog so maybe she should answer in in in Kapampangan". :-) i'd be irated for you if that is so. :-)

@angelo, she hasn't proven herself innocent  yet. hehehe. yes, she has the good intention. but his discriminatory language is some sort of a freudian slip. hahaha.

proven innocent? where are you coming from? im just saying she has proven her herself - being a winner.

well. cant do anything anymore. its more of understanding on your part. im sorry.

true, id be offended had she talked about her roots being a fellow bicolano myself, and how she bungled the chance. but im proud of her, nevertheless. she could have also been insulted for being a bicolana who cannot speak correct English. but you just have to swallow and understand. typical Filipino. *sigh*

again, it was the wordplay. unfortunately, cebuano was the example used. which i do not blame her as i believe it is the widest used dialect next to tagalog.

Regarding the proving thing, I didn't get your point prior to my posting. :-) kasi kapag sinabi mong proved, parang it denotes something active or just completed? i dont know. pero if proven ang ginamit mo, it's more of a description of what she is -- a winner. :-) ah basta, can't explain. nevertheless, both are acceptable naman. i misunderstood. sowee!

wow haba ng balitaktakan dito about Gloria hehe