Our Daily Bread

Started by judE_Law, October 23, 2010, 01:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 23, 2010 by Bill Crowder

First Impressions

A while back, Our Daily Bread published an article I wrote about a young woman who wore a T-shirt that said, "Love Is for Losers." In it, I commented on what a sad message that was, and I wrote about the hurt this motto represented.

To my surprise, one of our readers gave that message a completely different slant. She sent a note informing me that her daughter and her daughter's friends—all tennis players—wear shirts with that slogan. In tennis, a "love" score is zero. If your score in a game is "love," you lose—so in tennis, love really is for losers. That mom's note gave me a new perspective on that saying.

This incident reminded me how easy it is to make wrong first judgments. Based on incomplete or inaccurate information, we can jump to wrong conclusions and make poor value judgments about people and situations. And that can cause great hurt to others.

Speaking to people who had misjudged Him, Jesus warned, "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment" (John 7:24). We need to be careful that our judgments are backed up by the right information (the truth) and the right attitude (the compassion of Christ). Try this motto: "Righteous judgment is for winners."

Don't judge too quickly what you see;
Treat lightly first impression;
Misunderstandings multiply
Without right information. —Sper

A snap judgment has a way of becoming unfastened.

October 24, 2010 — by Joe Stowell

Getting Along

I can still remember what it was like to take our family on vacation, only to have the kids in the backseat mar the joy of it all by their bickering and complaining. Who doesn't remember the disruptive effects of "Dad, she touched me!" or "Mom, he won't give me a turn!"

If you've had that kind of experience, you can imagine how God feels when His children quarrel and complain. Getting along is important to God. Jesus prayed that we would "be one" so that the world would believe He came from the Father (John 17:20-21). And to disciples who were prone to quarreling, He commanded that they love and serve one another (13:34-35; Matt. 20:20-28). It should also be noted that among the seven things God hates, He includes "one who sows discord among brethren" (Prov. 6:19).

So I'm not surprised that the psalmist tells us that when brothers dwell in unity, it's like "the precious oil upon the head, running down on . . . the beard of Aaron, running down on the edge of his garments" (Ps. 133:1-2). In ancient times, the oil of anointing was full of fragrant spices that graced the environment wherever the anointed one went. May the unity that comes from our love and service to one another fragrantly grace our families, churches, and friendships!

When love and kindness rule our lives,
And we are seen as one,
The fragrance of our unity
Has no comparison. —Sper

Christians who get along with each other
spread the sweet aroma of Jesus.

nice Jude. ito muna tinitingnan ko daily for spiritual growth

Ito ba yung nasa libro with the same title?

October 25, 2010 — by Julie Ackerman Link

Toxic Look-Alikes

Our yard makes poison ivy happy. I learned this the hard way. Even though I was being careful, I came in contact with the plant and ended up with a nasty, itchy rash.

Poison ivy looks like many harmless plants, and it keeps company with some beautiful ones. One gardener couldn't figure out why she got poison ivy whenever she pruned her roses. She later discovered that a poison ivy vine was taking advantage of the tender loving care she gave to her rosebush.

Some people are like toxic plants. They look harmless, and they blend in with people who, like roses, are fragrant and beautiful.

Simon the sorcerer fit this description. He followed Philip and was baptized, but then he asked to buy the ability to lay hands on people so they could receive the Holy Spirit. Peter was appalled at his request and urged him to repent (Acts 8:22).

Sometimes people use the favorable environment of a healthy church as a network for selfish purposes. Like poison ivy among roses, they cause much misery. Like Simon, anyone who does this needs to repent, and everyone else needs to avoid contact with such a person. Spiritual look-alikes appear good but their "fruit" is toxic.

A Prayer:
Help me, Lord, to be discerning and not let others
lead me astray with their falsehood. May the fruit
of my life be an example of a follower of Christ. Amen.

A false life belies a true faith.

October 26, 2010 — by Philip Yancey

Declaration Of Dependence

Adults celebrate when children learn to do something on their own: get dressed, brush their teeth, tie shoelaces, ride a bike, walk to school.

As adults, we like to pay our own way, live in our own houses, make our own decisions, rely on no outside help. Faced with an unexpected challenge, we seek out "self-help" books. All the while we are systematically sealing off the heart attitude most desirable to God and most descriptive of our true state in the universe. It's what Jesus told His disciples: "Without Me you can do nothing" (John 15:5).

The truth is that we live in a web of dependence, at the center of which is God, in whom all things hold together. Norwegian theologian Ole Hallesby settled on the single word helplessness as the best summary of the heart attitude that God accepts as prayer. He said, "Only he who is helpless can truly pray."

Most parents feel a pang when the child outgrows dependence, even while knowing the growth to be healthy and normal. With God, the rules change. We never outgrow dependence, and to the extent we think we do, we delude ourselves. Prayer is our declaration of dependence upon the Lord.

Give Him each perplexing problem,
All your needs to Him make known;
Bring to Him your daily burdens—
Never carry them alone! —Adams

Pray as if your life depended upon it. It does!

Quote from: Mr.Yos0 on October 25, 2010, 08:01:51 PM

yeap... am a catholic. pero i do read books na magpapatibay pa ng faith ko kay God.

Quote from: judE_Law on October 26, 2010, 12:48:04 PM

yeap... am a catholic. pero i do read books na magpapatibay pa ng faith ko kay God.
pwede din ba magpost dito ng personal reading and reflections?

Quote from: noyskie on October 26, 2010, 01:11:12 PM
Quote from: judE_Law on October 26, 2010, 12:48:04 PM

pwede din ba magpost dito ng personal reading and reflections?

sure! go ahead noy! :D

as long as you dont degrade somebody no prob noysk... post ng post

Quote from: joshgroban on October 26, 2010, 09:57:01 PM
as long as you dont degrade somebody no prob noysk... post ng post
Teka lang, di na ko nakakatala sa journal ko. Inaalala ko pa ang reflection ko kanina.

Binalikan ko ulit ang PDL book ko. Nasa Day 9 na ko.

It says, We should please God in all we do.

What are the things that please God?

Like a mother cooking for his children, and delighted when they enjoy the food. God is delighted when we enjoy the blessings that He gave to us. Seeing us happy and pleased with everything, we make God smile. Making God smile is an act of worship.

God enjoys watching every detail of our life, whether we are working, playing, resting, or eating. He doesn't miss a single move we make. Every human activity, except sin, can be done for God's pleasure if we do it with the attitude of praise.

October 27, 2010 — by Dennis Fisher

A Lock Of Hair

After his return from the moon, Neil Armstrong was often plagued by the media. Seeking greater privacy, he moved his family into a small town. But notoriety was a nuisance even there. Armstrong's barber found out that people would pay good money to get a lock of his hair. So after giving the space hero several haircuts, he sold the clippings to a buyer for $3,000! Armstrong was shocked at the barber's opportunism.

The Scriptures tell of another story of disloyalty and a haircut. As a symbol of God's calling of Samson as a Nazirite, he was never to cut his hair (Judg. 13:5). When the Spirit of God came upon him, he was given super-human strength over his enemies (15:14). Wanting to overpower him, the Philistines hired Delilah, a woman who had a relationship with him, to find out the secret of that strength. He foolishly told her that his power would be gone if his hair were cut. She lulled him to sleep and had him shorn (16:5,19).

Greed can drive us to be disloyal to others and to God, causing us to make sinful choices. Our desire should be to exhibit a heart that is fully committed to love the Lord and others. He shows "Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him" (2 Chron. 16:9).

O Lord, may my heart be loyal to You
In all that I say and all that I do;
When a trusted person is not a true friend,
I know that on You I can always depend. —Hess

Loyalty is the test of true love.

October 28, 2010 — by David C. McCasland

Emergency Kit

For a dozen years, I took an auto emergency kit on every long driving trip but never had to use it. It became such a familiar item that on the night we really needed it, I forgot it was there. But fortunately my wife remembered.

After hitting a deer on a dark rural highway, our van was completely disabled. While I fumbled with a small flashlight to assess the damage and call a tow truck, my wife opened the emergency kit, set out a reflective warning marker, then turned on the bright flashlight, much to my surprise. Later we talked about how a crisis can cause us to forget the resources we have, just when we need them most.

Paul urged the Ephesians to "put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil" (Eph. 6:11). This protective covering includes truth, righteousness, readiness, faith, salvation, and prayer (vv.14-18). Although these spiritual resources guard us each day, we need to remember them when disaster strikes and the enemy tries to undermine our confidence in God's love and care.

Use the kit. "Take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand" (v.13).

When Satan launches his attack,
We must take heart and pray;
If we submit ourselves to God,
He'll be our strength and stay. —Sper

God provides the armor, but we must put it on.