Our Daily Bread

Started by judE_Law, October 23, 2010, 01:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 29, 2010 — by Anne Cetas

Truth Or Error?

Steve often witnesses to his co- workers. But when he mentions something directly from the Bible, someone frequently responds: "Wait! That was written by men, and it's full of errors just like any other book."

The following letter to the editor in our local newspaper expresses a similar thought: "Believers cite that the Word of God is infallible, but I see no apparent reason to believe that the words written in the Bible by man are any more infallible than the words written in a science journal by man."

How do we respond when the Scriptures are so readily dismissed as being just man's words with errors? Most of us aren't biblical scholars and may not have an answer. But if we do some reading (2 Tim. 2:15), we'll find the evidence that it's God-inspired (3:16) and therefore trustworthy.

For example, consider this: Over a period of 1,600 years, 40 different authors wrote the 66 books of the Bible. There were 400 silent years between the 39 books of the Old Testament and the 27 of the New Testament. Yet, Genesis to Revelation tell one unified story.

While we accept the Bible by faith, there's plenty of evidence that it's true. Let's be diligent to study and share what we learn with others.

For Further Study
To understand more about why we can trust the Bible, read Can I Really Trust The Bible?
at www.discoveryseries.org/q0402

In a skeptical world you can trust God's reliable Word.

AMEN brother Jude!

I also want to share my reflection yesterday: Why can't we wait for God's answer?

This is just one of the reason; because we don't see or understand how He works.

When we ask our Parents for something;

Child: Bilhan niyo ko ng bagong sapatos, damit at bag! please... ;D

Parent: Sige anak, just wait.

*Tapos makikita mo ang parents mo na todo magtrabaho, nag oOT, nag-eextra kung saan saan at kung ano ano pang paraan.

When we ask God for something;

Child: God, i want a job that is pleasing, high salary and a nice boss.

God: Wait.

Unlike sa parents natin na nakikita nating pinaghihirapan nila at pinagtatrabahuan para maibigay ang gusto natin; Hindi natin physically nakikita at naiintindihan ang paraan ni God kaya naging impatient tayo. At minsan nawawalan ng pag-asa kung ibibigay pa ba o hindi na ang hinihiling natin.

Kaya we need to trust the Lord fully and have faith in Him that He will give our hearts desire according to His will.

October 30, 2010 — by Dave Branon

Lingering Damage

A young teen who was constantly getting into trouble always apologized when his parents confronted him. No matter how much he hurt his parents with his previous wrong-doing, he would soon turn around and do something else wrong—knowing he would be forgiven.

Finally, his dad took him out to the garage for a talk. Dad picked up a hammer and pounded a nail into the garage wall. Then he gave his son the hammer and told him to pull out the nail.

The boy shrugged, grabbed the hammer, and yanked out the nail.

"That's like forgiveness, Son. When you do something wrong, it's like pounding in a nail. Forgiveness is when you pull the nail out."

"Okay, I get it," said the boy.

"Now take the hammer and pull out the nail hole," his dad replied.

"That's impossible!" the boy said. "I can't pull it out."

As this story illustrates and King David's life proves, sin carries consequences. Even though David was forgiven, his adultery and murder left scars and led to family problems (2 Sam. 12:10). This sobering truth can serve as a warning for our lives. The best way to avoid the lingering damage of sin is to live a life of obedience to God.

A Prayer: Thank You for being slow to anger and filled with compassion. May I not presume upon Your mercy by assuming there will be no consequences for my sin. Help me to confess and then to sin no more. Amen.

Our sins can be forgiven and washed away, but their consequences are ours to pay.

November 9, 2010 — by Dennis Fisher

A Special Virtue

In her book Food in Medieval Times, author Melitta Adamson writes of European culinary delights in the Middle Ages. Wild game, pastries, puddings, and other exotic foods illustrate the creative joy taken in food preparation. But with all these wonderful entrées there was a problem—overeating. This tendency was compounded by the Christian calendar, which abounded with fasts and feasts. Abstaining from meals was often followed by gluttony.

To address this problem, theologian Thomas Aquinas uplifted the Christian character quality of temperance, calling it "a special virtue." He saw how self-restraint should extend to all areas of life.

For the believer, temperance, or moderation, does not derive from sheer human willpower. Instead, it comes from the Holy Spirit who gives us self-control: "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control" (Gal. 5:22-23). Self-control is the Spirit-produced quality that enables us to be "temperate in all things" (1 Cor. 9:25).

Overindulgence in food, rest, work, recreation, ministry, and a variety of "good things" can be corrected only through the balance of self-control. Take a few minutes to ask God to produce that special virtue in you.

If gaining the fruit of self-control
Is something you're trying to do;
Submit your will in everything
To the Spirit living in you. —Kieda

To gain self-control, give the Spirit control.

November 10, 2010 — by Anne Cetas

Where Do I Start?

Several years ago, I was driving down the freeway when my car died. I pulled over to the side of the road, got out of the car, and opened the hood. As I looked at the engine I thought, A lot of good this does me. I know nothing about cars. I don't even know where to start!

That's how we might sometimes feel about prayer: Where do I start? That's what the disciples wanted to know when they asked Jesus, "Teach us to pray" (Luke 11:1). The best place to look for instruction is in the example and teaching of Jesus. Two questions you may have are:

Where should we pray? Jesus prayed in the temple, in the wilderness (Luke 4), in quiet places (Matt. 14:22-23), in the Garden of Gethsemane (Luke 22), and on the cross (Luke 23:34,46). He prayed alone and with others. Look at His life, follow His example, and pray wherever you are.

What should we pray? In the Lord's Prayer, Jesus taught us to ask that God's name be honored and that His will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Ask Him for your daily provisions, for forgiveness of sin, and for deliverance from temptation and evil (Luke 11:2-4).

So if you're looking for a good place to start, follow the example of the Lord's Prayer.

The Lord has shown us we can pray
Wherever we may be;
And when we say, "Your will be done,"
His work on earth we'll see. —Sper

If Jesus needed to pray, how can we do less?

November 11, 2010 — by Mart De Haan

Selfless Love

On December 4, 2007, a 19-year- old soldier serving in Iraq saw a grenade being thrown from a rooftop. Manning the machine gun in the turret of his Humvee, he tried to deflect the explosive—but it fell inside his vehicle. He had time to jump to safety. Instead, he threw his body over the grenade in a stunningly selfless act that saved the lives of four fellow soldiers.

This almost unexplainable act of self-sacrifice may help us understand why the Bible tells us that there is a kind of love that is more honorable than having great knowledge or faith (1 Cor. 13:1-3).

This kind of love can be hard to find—leading the apostle Paul to lament that more people care for themselves than for the interests of Christ (Phil. 2:20-21). That's why he was so grateful for Epaphroditus, a co-worker who "came close to death, not regarding his life" in order to serve others (v.30).

If we think we could never put our own life on the line for others, Epaphroditus shows us the first step with his selfless example. Such love is neither normal nor common, and it doesn't come from us. It comes from the Spirit of God, who can give us the desire and ability to feel for others some of the inexpressible affection God has for us.

To give up yourself for others
Seems like such a tough thing to do;
But that's how you can know for sure
That God's love is working through you. —Branon

You can measure your love for God
by showing your love for others.

ang tagal ko palang di na-update 'to...

December 5, 2010 — by David C. McCasland

Preparation And Expectation

When our children were young, we observed Advent (the time beginning on the fourth Sunday before Christmas through Christmas Eve) by making a wreath and lighting candles each night after supper. We sang a carol and read a short Bible passage about the birth of Christ. This was a special time of preparing our hearts to celebrate Christmas.

But Advent is more than that. When Christians first started practicing it in the fourth century, they viewed it not only as preparation for celebrating Jesus' birth but also as a time of looking forward to His second coming. They found hope and cheer in the sure promise of His return.

The gospel of Luke describes "the glory of the Lord" that shone around the shepherds when the angel announced the Savior's birth (2:9). Luke also records Jesus' promise that He will return "with power and great glory" (21:27). These two events frame the purpose for which the Son of God came into the world.

In Latin advent means "a coming." The weeks before Christmas can be a wonderful season of repentance and expectation as we celebrate our Lord's first advent in Bethlehem and anticipate His second advent when He returns in glory. Christ has come! Christ is coming again!

The first time Jesus came to earth,
Humble was His story;
But He has promised to return
With power and great glory. —Sper

Christ has come! Christ is coming again!

December 8, 2010 — by Marvin Williams

Living Low

Dwight L. Moody said, "When a man thinks he has got a good deal of strength, and is self-confident, you may look for his downfall. It may be years before it comes to light, but it is already commenced." This was true of King Uzziah.

Everything seemed to be going so well in his life. He was obedient, submitted to spiritual mentorship, and sought God's guidance during most of his reign. As long as he asked God for help, God gave him great success—evidenced by his many accomplishments (2 Chron. 26:3-15).

Uzziah's life was one of great power and human success until he became blinded by it. His pride was evidenced in several ways: he challenged God's holiness by trespassing the temple and presuming upon a position he would never be able to have (v.16); he viewed God's power as good but not absolutely necessary for his leadership (vv.5,16); he refused godly correction and counsel (vv.18-19); he bypassed his opportunity to repent; and he ignored, instead of feared, the consequences of his sin (vv.18-19).

When God gives us success in any area of our lives, let's not forget the Source of our success. May we choose humility, for God gives grace to the humble.

Is thy heart right with God,
Washed in the crimson flood,
Cleansed and made holy, humble and lowly,
Right in the sight of God? —Hoffman

God lifts us high when we choose to live low.

May ganitong thread pala. Ok to ah!  :)

I wanna share this one:

Whenever our prayers seem like some unanswered dream, and life seems to be getting out of hand, we have to believe to know that God will still there, to believe and to know that God still cares.
Our God always for us all has a better plan!
Many of us have tried to tell God what to do by giving Him a list of our demands, as if we knew just what was best, but when it all comes down to the test.
When sorrow seems to surround us and suffering hangs heavy on
Our head, we have to believe that tomorrow brings
A wholeness and healing.
God always knows our needs and always has our backs as we have to learn to just believe what God has said.
Our God always for us has a better plan!
When what we've done keeps us from moving on.
When the fear wants to make itself at home in our hearts.
By remembering that forgiveness brings wholeness and healing.
When we have finally learned to trust that God is true and just, and that God will always keep us forever in His hands.
God's plan will always be, whatever's best for us.
For our God always for us has a better plan!

With Love
MzGloria

God has a better plan :)

December 30, 2010 — by Dennis Fisher

Life Is Like Riding A Bicycle

In a letter to his son Eduard, Albert Einstein gave this advice: "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving." The great physicist's advice is wise and practical.

This wise counsel can apply to the Christian life. Many believers by faith keep moving ahead through painful and trying circumstances. But when they experience a personal moral failure, they lose their balance and fall. Their regret and feeling of unworthiness of God's forgiveness may then keep them down and they no longer move ahead in their spiritual life.

The Bible gives us many examples of those who have experienced serious personal failure. Abraham lied to Pharaoh about his wife, Sarah (Gen. 12:11-17). Jacob deceived his father to acquire Esau's blessing (Gen. 27:18-29). Moses disobeyed God by striking the rock instead of speaking to it (Num. 20:7-12). Despite their failures, we are told: "all these . . . obtained a good testimony through faith" (Heb. 11:39).

These biblical characters are lifted up as examples because after they fell, they turned back to God and began to follow Him again. Have you lost your spiritual balance through a sinful choice, which is keeping you down? Repent and follow the God of second chances once again.

I've strayed, O Lord, and turned aside,
I've disobeyed Your voice;
But now contrite of heart I turn
And make Your will my choice. —D. De Haan

Our God is a God of second chances.

December 31, 2010 — by Joe Stowell

Rearview Mirror Reflections

I've always thought that you can see the hand of God best in the rearview mirror. Looking back, it's easier to understand why He placed us in the home that He did; why He brought certain people and circumstances into and out of our lives; why He permitted difficulties and pain; why He took us to different places and put us in various jobs and careers.

In my own life, I get a lot of clarity (though not perfect clarity—that's heaven's joy!) about the wise and loving ways of God as I reflect on the ways He has managed my journey by "the works of [His] hands" (Ps. 92:4). With the psalmist, it makes me glad and strikes a note of joy in my heart to see how often God has assisted, directed, and managed the outcomes so faithfully (Ps. 111).

Looking ahead, though, is not always so clear. Have you ever had that lost feeling when the road ahead seems twisted, foggy, and scary? Before you move into next year, stop and look in the rearview mirror of the year gone by, and joyfully realize that God meant it when He said, "'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' So we may boldly say: 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear' " (Heb. 13:5-6).

With the promise of God's presence and help in mind, you can move ahead into 2011 with utmost confidence.

Shall not He who led me safely
Through the footsteps of this day
Lead with equal understanding
All along my future way? —Adams

God's guidance in the past gives courage for the future.