Our Daily Bread

Started by judE_Law, October 23, 2010, 01:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

February 3, 2011 — by C. P. Hia

Good Wishes

In Singapore, the Chinese New Year season's social and business dinners often begin with a dish consisting of salads, dressings, pickles, and raw fish. The name of the dish, Yu Sheng, is a pun that sounds like "year of prosperity." It is traditional for those present to toss the salad together. As they do, certain phrases are repeated to bring about good fortune.

Our words may express our hopes for others for the year ahead, but they can't bring about good fortune. The important issue is—what does God want to see in us in the coming year?

In his letter to the Philippians, Paul expressed his desire and prayer that their love "may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment" (1:9). The church had been a great tower of support for him (v.7), yet he urged them to continue to grow to love others. Paul wasn't talking about intellectual knowledge but knowledge of God. Love for others starts with a closer relationship with Him. With a fuller knowledge of God, we can then discern between right and wrong.

Giving our best wishes to others for the coming year is fine. But our heartfelt prayer should be that we abound in love, so that we may be "filled with the fruits of righteousness . . . , to the glory and praise of God" (v.11).

Teach me Thy patience! still with Thee
In closer, dearer company,
In work that keeps faith sweet and strong,
In trust that triumphs over wrong. —Gladden

People with a heart for God have a heart for people.

February 4, 2011 — by Joe Stowell

When Royalty Comes To Town

My friend Tim Davis tells the story of being in Trinidad as a little boy when Queen Elizabeth came to visit their town. He recalls going with his missionary parents to join hundreds of others who gathered to greet the queen. Waving his little flag, he watched as the entourage came down the street—first the soldiers, then the mounted guard, and then the limousine from which she waved to the cheering crowd. He looked on as the queen drove out of town, leaving everyone to return to life as usual. In Tim's words, "Royalty came to town and nothing changed!"

For those of us who have accepted Jesus as Savior, there was a day when royalty arrived—in our heart. As Paul put it, our body is "the temple of the Holy Spirit" (1 Cor. 6:19)—a reality that has huge ramifications. His residence in our life is intended to transform us to live in a way that brings glory to Him. Our relationships, the way we serve our employer, how we use our money, how we treat our enemies, and everything else in our lives should reflect the wonderful reality that royalty lives within.

Has anything changed since King Jesus came into your heart? Does your world notice or do they think He was just passing through?

By this shall every person know
That we serve God above:
His Spirit dwells within our hearts
And fills us with His love. —D. De Haan

If Jesus has taken up residence in us,
the world should notice a lasting change.

February 8, 2011 — by Dennis Fisher

Space Scouts

Many of the first astronauts were once Boy Scouts. The scouts were good at capturing the imagination of young boys and instilling discipline to reach their goals—even if it meant reaching for the stars.

On July 20, 1969, the Boy Scouts were busy celebrating at a conference. During the gathering, the scouts were delighted to hear from former Eagle Scout Neil Armstrong, who sent them greetings from space. One of their own had grown up to realize a wonderful dream!

In some ways, the Christian home can be like a loving, spiritual scout camp. The Bible encourages parents to provide a positive growth environment for children in the home. Parents are exhorted to "bring [children] up in the training and admonition of the Lord" (Eph. 6:4). "To bring up" refers to nourishing children by providing resources for their physical, mental, and spiritual needs. "Training" includes concern about all aspects of a child's development. And "admonition" speaks of providing direction by well-chosen words uniquely suited to each child.

Let's strive to make our home a place where loving discipline enables the children in our charge to reach their potential for God's glory.

They are buds of hope and promise,
Possessed by Him whose name is Love;
Lent us here to train and nourish
For a better life above. —Crosby

What you put into your children's hearts today influences their character for tomorrow.

February 20, 2011 — by Philip Yancey

Who's The Audience?

I  used to view the worship service  in church as a time for entertainment. Speaking of folks like me, Sören Kierkegaard said that we tend to think of church as a kind of theater: We sit in the audience, attentively watching the actors onstage. If sufficiently entertained, we show our gratitude with applause. Church, though, should be the opposite of the theater. God is the audience for our worship.

What matters most takes place within the hearts of the congregation—not onstage. We should leave a worship service asking ourselves not "What did I get out of it?" but rather "Was God pleased with what happened?"

God took pains to specify details of animal sacrifice for the ancient Israelites in their worship. Yet He said that He didn't need their animals: "I will not take a bull from your house, nor goats out of your folds. For every beast of the forest is Mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills" (Ps. 50:9-10). What He wanted was their praise and obedience (v.23).

By focusing on the externals of worship, we too miss the point: The Lord is interested in a sacrifice of the heart, an internal attitude of submission and thanksgiving. The goal of worship is nothing less than to meet and please our God.

Lord, may our worship and our praise,
From hearts surrendered to Your ways,
Be worthy offerings of love
For all Your blessings from above. —Sper

At the heart of worship is worship from the heart.

Please take my heart and make it strong.

February 21, 2011 — by Dave Branon

Resolution

In May 1884, two young parents disagreed about what middle name to give their newborn son. The mom preferred Solomon; the dad, Shippe—both family names. Because John and Martha couldn't agree, they compromised on "S." Thus Harry S. Truman would become the only US president with an initial for a middle name.

Over 120 years later, we still know about this conflict—but we also know that a reasonable resolution was reached.

In the New Testament, we read about another disagreement that has lived on in history. This one was between two missionaries: Paul and Barnabas (Acts 15). Barnabas wanted to take Mark with them on a trip to check on some churches they had helped previously (v.37). But Paul did not trust Mark because of an earlier incident (v.38). Paul and Barnabas disagreed so sharply that they parted ways (v.39).

We still read about this argument 2,000 years later. What's important is not that it lived on in history, but that it didn't leave permanent relationship scars. Paul apparently reconciled with Barnabas, and in his final days asked for Mark to be with him because "he is useful to me for ministry" (2 Tim. 4:11).

Arguments happen. But let's make sure they are resolved. Grudges are a burden too heavy to carry.

Arguments can lead to grudges,
Which, if left, will cause a rift;
But if we bring resolution,
Our relationships won't drift. —Sper

A grudge is one thing that doesn't get better when it's nursed.

March 2, 2011 — by Dennis Fisher

Virtuoso

A major US newspaper has called Christopher Parkening "the leading guitar virtuoso of our day, combining profound musical insight with complete technical mastery of his instrument." There was a time, however, when Parkening gave up playing the guitar professionally. At the height of his career as a classical guitarist, he retired at age 30, bought a ranch in Montana, and spent his days fly-fishing. But early retirement did not bring him the satisfaction he had hoped for.

Then during a visit to California, he was invited to a church where he heard a clear presentation of the gospel. Of this he wrote: "That night I lay awake, broken over my sins. . . . I had lived very selfishly and it had not made me happy. . . . It was then that I asked Jesus Christ to come into my life, to be my Lord and Savior. For the first time, I remember telling Him, 'Whatever You want me to do with my life, Lord, I'll do it.'"

One of Parkening's favorite verses is 1 Corinthians 10:31, "Therefore, . . . whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." He has taken up the guitar again, but this time with the motivation to glorify God.

Each of us has been given gifts; and when we use them for God's glory, they bring satisfaction and joy.

The gifts we offer to the Lord
Are by His standards measured;
Our sacrifice and lives of praise—
Such gifts are highly treasured. —Sper

We were created to give God the glory.

March 3, 2011 — by Julie Ackerman Link

Who And How

Whenever I read the Gospels, I identify with the disciples. Like me, they seemed slow to catch on. Jesus kept saying things like "Don't you understand it yet?" and "Are you still so dull?" (see Mark 7:18). Finally, however, Peter "got it," at least one part of it. When Jesus asked, "Who do you say that I am?" Peter answered, "You are the Christ" (8:29).

Peter was right about the "who"—Jesus—but he was still wrong about the "how." When Jesus predicted His death, Peter rebuked Him for it. Jesus, in turn, rebuked Peter: "Get behind Me, Satan! For you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men" (v.33).

Peter was still thinking in human ways of establishing kingdoms. One ruler would overthrow another and set up a new government. He was expecting Jesus to do the same. But Christ's kingdom was going to come in a new way—through service and the sacrifice of His life.

The method God uses today hasn't changed. Whereas Satan's voice tempts us to gain power, the voice of Jesus tells us that the meek will inherit the earth (Matt. 5:5). To gain citizens for God's kingdom, we must follow the example of Jesus, who set aside selfish ambitions, served others, and called people to repent of their sin.

We say we love humanity,
But can we really claim
A readiness to sacrifice
For them in Jesus' name? —Sper

A Christian is an ambassador who speaks for the King of kings.

March 14, 2011 — by Mart De Haan

A Dream Of Answers Forgotten

A friend quit two jobs to become a full-time caregiver when his adult son was seriously hurt in a car accident. That same year his wife of over 30 years contracted a terminal illness and died.

Since then, he says he has no answers when his son asks "why" this happened to them. But he told me of a reassuring dream he had along the way. He dreamed that he was in a place that was awash with sunlight. There were crowds of people around him, and a man was answering all of his "why" questions. Each answer made so much sense that he clearly understood why he was not to know the answers now. Then he was with his son in the dream. But when he tried to help him with his questions, he couldn't remember the answers. But even that seemed okay. And then he woke up.

My friend's experience reminds me of another friend of God who suffered with unanswered questions (Job 7:20-21). Only when God finally broke His silence and gave Job a vision of Himself in the wonder of creation did Job find something that was better than answers (42:1-6). Only then did Job find peace in knowing that our God has good and even wonderful reasons to trust Him.

What God is doing you may not know now,
But someday you'll understand why;
Questions that taunt you and trouble your mind
Will one day have heaven's reply. —Hess

What's better than answers to our why questions?
Trusting a good God who has His reasons.

March 25, 2011 — by Joe Stowell

Failures Anonymous

It's my duty to grill the burgers, brats, steaks, or whatever else my wife has on the menu. And while I'm not the greatest chef when it comes to outdoor cooking, I love the unforgettable aroma of grilling over a charcoal fire. So the mention of a "fire of coals" in John 21:9 catches my attention. And I find myself wondering why John would include this detail in the story about Jesus calling a failing Peter back to serve and follow Him.

In verses 1-3, it's apparent that Peter had reopened his fishing business. Just a few days before, Peter was warming his hands over a charcoal fire when he denied Jesus to save his own skin (John 18:17-18 ESV). So why not go back to fishing?

While Peter and his cohorts were casting nets, Jesus built a fire on the beach. Coincidence? I doubt it! And as Peter approached Jesus, I wonder if the pungent aroma of the burning charcoal brought back memories of that other fire where he had failed Christ. Yet Jesus in His mercy took the initiative to call Peter back into His service.

Think of it: Jesus is willing to forgive our failures and call us into His service. After all, if only perfect people qualified to serve Him, He wouldn't have anyone to choose from!

Although we are imperfect,
The Lord can use us still,
If we confess our sins to Him
And seek to do His will. —Sper

Being imperfect doesn't disqualify us from serving God;
it just emphasizes our dependence on His mercy.

Jesus is willing to forgive our failures and call us into His service. After all, if only perfect people qualified to serve Him, He wouldn't have anyone to choose from!

gusto ko to..

April 4, 2011 — by C. P. Hia

An Attached Fuel Hose

Felipe Massa of Brazil should have won the Formula One Grand Prix in Singapore in September 2008. But as he drove off from a refueling stop while in the lead, the fuel hose was still attached. By the time his team removed the hose, he had lost so much time that he finished 13th.

The apostle Paul warned Timothy of another kind of attachment that would cause him defeat—"the affairs of this life" (2 Tim. 2:4). He urged Timothy not to let anything slow him down or distract him from the cause of his Lord and Master.

There are many attractive things in our world that are so easy to get entangled with—hobbies, sports, TV, computer games. These may start off as "refueling" activities, but later they can take up so much of our time and thought that they interfere with the purpose for which God created us: to share the good news of Christ, serve Him with our gifts, and bring glory to Him.

Paul told Timothy why he ought not be entangled with this world's affairs: So that he could "please Him" (v.4). If your desire is to please the Lord Jesus, you will want to stay untangled from the world. As John reminds us, "The world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever" (1 John 2:17).

For Further Study
If you have questions about your life's purpose in this
world, read online Why In The World Am I Here?
at www.discoveryseries.org/q0502

Although we live in this world,
we must declare our allegiance to heaven.

May 4, 2011 — by Dave Branon

Two Words

In the annals of US advertising history, one of the most efficient slogans ever is the California milk producers' two-word question, "Got milk?" With that phrase, the group captured almost everyone's attention. In surveys, the slogan was recognized by more than 90 percent of the people polled.

If "Got milk?" is so good at reminding people to drink "cow juice," perhaps we can create some two-word slogans to remind ourselves to live more godly lives. Let's turn to James 4 and try it. This passage gives four specific guidelines.

1. Give in! Verse 7 tells us to submit to God. Our sovereign God loves us, so why not let Him run the show? Submission helps us resist the devil. 2. Get close! Verse 8 reminds us of the value of drawing near to God. It's up to us to close the gap between us and God. 3. Clean up! Verse 8 also reminds us to make sure our hearts are clean. That happens through confessing our sins to God. 4. Get down! James says we need to be humble before God (v.10). That includes viewing our sin as something to weep over.

Give in! Get close! Clean up! Get down! These pairs of words may not look as good on a T-shirt as "Got milk?" But they sure will look good on us.

Lord, help me live a godly life
Of faith and love and purity
So those who watch my life will see
Reflections of Your work in me. —Sper

The most powerful testimony is a godly life.