Japan Earthquake

Started by carpediem, March 12, 2011, 04:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I read somewhere that the current leaking radiation is not as life-threatening as people make it out. Of course, prolonged exposure should pose serious threats, but nothing short of another Chernobyl event should get you terribly worried, imho.

saladu ako sa mga naiwang engineer para maayos yung problem sa nuclear reactor. hindi na nila inisip yung risk para lang maligtas ang karamihan, kahit part pa ng work nila yun.

^trabaho din nila naman yun, dba? kanila responsibilidad. pero tama ka naman, it's easy to decide to escape at crisis situations especially when your life is at risk.

New power line almost ready at Japan nuke plant

TOKYO – A nearly completed new power line could restore electric cooling systems in Japan's tsunami-crippled nuclear plant, its operator said Thursday, raising hopes of easing the crisis that has threatened a meltdown.
Tokyo Electric Power Co. spokesman Naoki Tsunoda said the new power line to Fukushima Dai-ichi is almost complete. Officials plan to try it "as soon as possible" but he could not say when.
Meanwhile, conditions at the plant appeared to worsen Wednesday, with white smoke pouring from the reactor complex and a dangerous surge in radiation levels forcing workers to retreat for hours from their struggle to cool the overheating reactors.
The chief of the International Atomic Energy Agency said he would go to Japan as soon as possible to assess the danger. He called the situation serious and urged the Japanese government to provide better information to the agency.
The new line would revive electric-powered pumps, allowing the company to maintain a steady water supply to troubled reactors and spent fuel storage ponds, keeping them cool. The company is also trying to repair its existing disabled power line.
The word came as international concern mounted over the deteriorating situation at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant, where the danger from the reactors has nearly overshadowed the human tragedy of last week's magnitude 9.0 earthquake and subsequent tsunami that pulverized Japan's northeastern coast and is feared to have killed more than 10,000 people.
The 180 emergency workers have been working in shifts to manually pump seawater into the reactors because last week's earthquake and tsunami disabled main and backup power for electric-powered cooling pumps.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

Disturbing tong video na to:

Girl prays to CAUSE Japanese earthquake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcikNCsilHk

^ I'd rather not go into religious opinion in this thread, but I can't help and comment on how dangerous a religious fundamentalist can become. This is just a relatively mild case, as she just prayed for this. Imagine if a fundamentalist actually take action.

The disaster also highlighted the moral dilemma theists have on the Problem of Evil.

Nakita ko sa People's Tonight na jaryo na merong namataang UFOs sa Japan before the earth quake..

Sabi na nga ba eh.

^^ yeah.. pero sana UFO na dapat yun.para ASTIG!!! Tpos pakakawalan pala nila si Baltan sa dagat. At maglalaban sila ni Ultraman.

@Elgimikero: Re: New power line almost ready at Japan nuke plant.

This made me feel better. Sana di na matuloy ang meltdown.

Quote from: Luc on March 17, 2011, 08:13:42 PM
@Elgimikero: Re: New power line almost ready at Japan nuke plant.

This made me feel better. Sana di na matuloy ang meltdown.

i am praying Luc na sana nga hindi...

na-touch ako sa News kanina..

habang yung ibang foreigner ay nagsisi-alisan na sa japan..
yung apat na Pinoy Care Giver na ininterview.. ayaw umalis..
kasi yun ang sinumpaan daw nilang trabaho.
saka down na down na raw ang mga japanese ngayon, ngayon pa ba daw nila iiwan..

grabe, iba talaga mga Pinoy!
bilib ako!!!!

^wow ngayun ko lang na click un link. touching talaga. would i have done the same? i guess that's why filipinos are really a preferred working force / blue collar jobs.

sana talaga jude good news na naman for japan ang ibabalita. for the past few day, the news just makes your heart heavier. :(