Classical music

Started by carpediem, March 27, 2011, 02:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
All about classical music

I'm an idiot. I want to learn to appreciate classical music. Where should I start?

Where can I download classical music?

How do I know if a particular rendition (don't know if the right term) is authentic?

^ Thanks for the link.

Do you have a favorite classical music composer?

Can someone explain the following terms and hopefully give some examples? I know I can just search for their definitions, but usually the definitions would just further complicate with other terms that are not easily understandable for a layman.

- sonata
- concerto
- canon
- symphony
- minuet

Ahaha, pa like na din ng thread na ito.

Sonata - yung mga piece na "kinakanta" usually by one instrument. parang isang short song (walang lyrics). ganun lang.

Concerto - ang alam ko, eto yung tinutugtug na parang isang attraction ng orchestra. If i'm not mistaken, for example, a Violin concerto would be may isang "star" of the orchestra na magaling mag violin, and they play together with the orchestra. A cello concerto would be a star cello player. Kung baga, parang may "lead singer" na ina-accompany ng orchestra.

Canon - famous composition by Pachelbel :D believed to be one of the most basic chord pattern, and one of the most overplayed.

Symphony - nakalimutan ko ito. ito ata mga matataas na compositions na may several parts? im not sure.

Minuet - di ko alam to.

Favorite ko si Mozart, Beethoven, at si Claude Debussy. :D Sa modern classical talents, favorite ko si Yanni, ewan ko na ba kay Maxim :P

"Nodame no Cantabile" - the liveaction

^Dito ako natuto mag-appreciate ng Classical music. That, and I had a phase na idol ko talaga si Yanni. :P

Also, I was a huge O2-Jam addict. (Even participating in tournaments). Maraming classical pieces doon.

pak!

soo classy ito na topic.

add this your list

Howl's Moving Castle - Carousel of Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPRO38BZ3dk&feature=related

^Elgi, ang ganda! Masepra nga ito on my free time, and if i find the patience. Hehe.

Thanks Luc for the explanations. Nagresearch din ako konti.

Here's Wikipedia's definition of canon:

"A canon is a contrapuntal composition that employs a melody with one or more imitations of the melody played after a given duration (e.g. quarter rest, one measure, etc.)"

I think you are referring to Pachelbel's Canon in D Major.

Other examples of canon are Bach's Crab Canon (the same when played forwards and backwards) and the Endlessly Rising Canon.

For minuet:

"A minuet, also spelled menuet, is a social dance of French origin for two people, usually in 3/4 time."

The most popular minuet I know is Bach's Minuet in G Major.

Came across the following clips from a Jay Chou movie

Four Hands Piano Solo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItX5-oOjTcg
Piano Battle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XLO2IaOwZk

I've also got a several CD's full of classical music. :-)

Quote from: carpediem on March 28, 2011, 08:35:26 PM
I think you are referring to Pachelbel's Canon in D Major.

ahh, thanks for clarifying. I seem to have heard of different 'Canon's before but only Pachelbel's really stuck. :D

Quote from: fox69 on March 29, 2011, 12:03:24 PM
YANNI!!!!!!! im a big fan...i have at least 15 of his CDs...grabe LUC..sobrang mahal ko si YANNI kasi maraming mahahalagang moments ng buhay ko soundtrack ko si Yanni..pag nalaman mo ang personal life  ko maiintindihan mo ako...HAIL YANNI :P :P :P

^how unusual naman, Yanni as soundtrack of your life? Hmm.. Pwede na rin. Sa akin kc, iba't-ibang mga songs, at napaka-broad. From Goo Goo dolls, to Slapshock, to Utada Hikaru, to name a few.

Pero uu, galing talaga ni Yanni.

Wow. 15 talaga? :P

^^I love Jazz Music. But I didn't indulge on it too much because I know it is way out of my league. I will never have the talent to play jazz - is what I think. But I still reserve jazz for those lazy afternoons where I don't want to think about anything in particular.

Si Bill at si Diana lang kilala ko fox =P Yun nga, di ako mag-indulge. I will always appreciate jazz, and the people who play it. Pero unlike the rest of the genre I listen to, I'll probably not buy a cd. Frustrated kc ako, kailan pa kaya ako matutong magtugtug ng jazz. Grabe skill level kailangan dyan.

Btw, do you know of a radio station that plays mostly jazz? Matagal na ako naghahanap ng isa. Lalo na'ng nawala na Nu107.