Homophobia

Started by ctan, July 11, 2010, 02:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I have been a registered PGG forum user just recently and one thing I have noticed is that there is a silent yet prevailing issue about HOMOPHOBIA. It may not have been discussed in an outright manner, however, the posting attitudes, language, and flow of conversation carry a subtle blood war topic on Homophobia. To begin with, the American Heritage Dictionary defines homophobia as "aversion to gay or homosexual people or their lifestyle or culture" and "behavior or an act based on this aversion."

Question #1: Are straight PGG users homophobic?
I could not answer for all of us, as I do not know the extent of their hearts with regards to this topic. However, I can give an answer and represent those who think like me in the forums. So for me, I do not think PGG straight members are homophobics. I believe in the sanctity of sexual preference. There is a choice, and straight men choose women. Our choice to have a girlfriend and marry a woman has nothing to do with prejudice towards the third sex. If choosing is prejudism, then let it be called prejudice in all purity and honesty. A lot of us here have been very friendly with the third sex, and if a joke has been said regarding the them, I believe they are innocent and are only reactive in nature. To be homophobic is to be full of aversion towards the third sex. Aversion comes in different forms - hostility, mockery, ostracism, and the likes. There is no one so far here in PGG who have been aversive towards the third sex.

Question #2: Is the initiative of our admin (Chris) with regards to his advice on refraining from posting topics that are off to non-homosexuals a homophobic move?
For me, that is not homophobic. His idea was just right as there are a lot of straight PGG members here. If the PGG forums will be filled with homosexual-related posts, then this is a turn off for straight members. Naturally, we flock to groups where we can identify with, and naturally again, straight men would flock to topics or places where we can actually relate with. The move is not an aversion to homosexuality. Instead, it is a two-pronged sword. First, it continues to encourage straight men to be involved in the forums. Second, it protects the third sex, from people who inadvertently bash the homosexual population.

i agree with some of your opinion.. but i'd like to share my point of view regarding this issue..

i honestly think that it'll be impossible to make this forum an "all straight guy" forum.. meaning, no matter how "straight" the topics or the thread you post are.. it won't stop gays, bisexuals or even the girls from reading, replying, or joining this site.. even if you put a subtitle on the name of this forum like.. uhm... say... "Pinoy Guy Guide Forums - strictly for straight men only" which is ridiculous.. lol!
truth is, the only thing the ADMIN can do is to delete post which are foul(maybe to other gender or to those who have other "sexual preference").. or cancel the account of those who says nasty things or bashing other people in the forum...
by the way... sino ba ang mga nagre-reklamo? meron ba? baka gusto niyong sabihin ang side niyo para naman maintindihan ng lahat ang nais niyong mangyari.. parang "chismis" lang kasi.. sa nakikita ko naman, mukha namang "masigla" kahit papano yung forum.. may iba't ibang pananaw mga tao, which is "healthy"... hndi tayo parang robot lang na magpo-post at magre-reply lang ng iisang opinyon, which is boring.. diba?

There's no one here that's aversive towards the third sex. Their existence is a given fact of life. As a straight man believing in the prerogative about sexual preferences, I respect them. It's also a given fact that not all people will like all the topics that have been posted here, but it can't be a reason to bash (be it directly or indirectly) some topics/members in the forum. There's a reason that an admin (with all his standards) is there.

Please do keep in mind that this is a forum in the internet. A constantly evolving one. And different (if not all) kinds of people (o sige, men) are flocking in this site. Reading. And registering.

In regards to the admin's decision to "advice" the posters here to refrain from posting topics that are non-homosexual in nature, I am with him. This is his blog, and forum. As users, we have to abide.

Regardless, if you don't want the changes in the system it's better to go out.

ON A LIGHTER NOTE:

Being one of the middle-ager posters here in PGGF, I am not, in any way, insecured or bothered about the "baguhans" here. Ewan ko lang sa iba. It's a good thing that they are actively posting. It's also a good thing that the PGGF online community is constantly growing. But, always keep in mind the guidelines/reminders posted in the Announcements Section.

At sana, wag ng magpost that incite more conflict. We want the forum to be a happy and peaceful zone.

^well said. you have my respect Yoso.

Sorry about what I posted. It was an observation from me, and in my judgment is just fitting to be opened up in a guys' forum. As I have mentioned, the issue is not being tackled loudly. It is a silent, but a prevailing issue. Many would deny the fact that they have been homophobic, naturally because they claim they aren't. But when you try to read between the lines, the jokes, and the rest, homophobia lingers subtly.

Anyway, I agree with you judE_Law and Mr.Yos0 that this forum could never be a place for straight men only. As mentioned in the other threads, many could claim being straight, yet deep within, an Eve is born. So there. I've said my piece and I hope that PGG will indeed be a forum characterized by non-prejudice and respect. :-)

Quote from: ctan on July 12, 2010, 01:16:32 AM
Sorry about what I posted. It was an observation from me, and in my judgment is just fitting to be opened up in a guys' forum. As I have mentioned, the issue is not being tackled loudly. It is a silent, but a prevailing issue. Many would deny the fact that they have been homophobic, naturally because they claim they aren't. But when you try to read between the lines, the jokes, and the rest, homophobia lingers subtly.

Anyway, I agree with you judE_Law and Mr.Yos0 that this forum could never be a place for straight men only. As mentioned in the other threads, many could claim being straight, yet deep within, an Eve is born. So there. I've said my piece and I hope that PGG will indeed be a forum characterized by non-prejudice and respect. :-)

thank you ctan!  ;)

Quote from: judE_Law on July 11, 2010, 01:33:47 PM
i agree with some of your opinion.. but i'd like to share my point of view regarding this issue..

i honestly think that it'll be impossible to make this forum an "all straight guy" forum.. meaning, no matter how "straight" the topics or the thread you post are.. it won't stop gays, bisexuals or even the girls from reading, replying, or joining this site.. even if you put a subtitle on the name of this forum like.. uhm... say... "Pinoy Guy Guide Forums - strictly for straight men only" which is ridiculous.. lol!
truth is, the only thing the ADMIN can do is to delete post which are foul(maybe to other gender or to those who have other "sexual preference").. or cancel the account of those who says nasty things or bashing other people in the forum...
by the way... sino ba ang mga nagre-reklamo? meron ba? baka gusto niyong sabihin ang side niyo para naman maintindihan ng lahat ang nais niyong mangyari.. parang "chismis" lang kasi.. sa nakikita ko naman, mukha namang "masigla" kahit papano yung forum.. may iba't ibang pananaw mga tao, which is "healthy"... hndi tayo parang robot lang na magpo-post at magre-reply lang ng iisang opinyon, which is boring.. diba?

korekok.... lets enjoy na lang this site

let's just be openminded.. hehe..
enjoy posting! ;)

yang mga homophobic n yan eh gay inside. hahahaaha!!

in my family eh madameng homos.. 2 gays and 3 lesbians.. but I dont mind being with them specially sa king mga gay cousins.. Actually,  mas gusto kong kalaro ung mga gay cousins q kase madale silang ibalabag sa kama or i-choke or i-grapple. at gusto namn nila at game sila. So enjoy, they enjoy. teenager paq nito at fan aq ng WWF (WWE na ngayon).

Kya ayun, d aq ilang sa mga gays. (Minsan p nga eh masmatino ang mga gays kesa sa mga straights on special cases.)

UP!

very interesting topic.