☾ The ☆ Astronomy ☄ Thread ☽

Started by carpediem, April 26, 2011, 11:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anything about astronomy.

I am personally not knowledgeable, but I frequently find articles about astronomy fascinating. I'll just post any interesting stuff I may find here.

Feel free to discuss, or even philosophize.

Just don't post about UFO sightings and alien conspiracy theories.

interesting thread... maghintay muna ko ng musings ng ibang tao. wala akong idea kung ano ipo-post e.. hehe

Has anyone ever seen one of our neighboring planets in real life? Ako hindi pa. :(

^Venus and Mercury are sometimes visible when the first light of sunset and sunrise hits the dark sky. :D

Quote from: ctan on April 27, 2011, 12:31:48 AM
^ let me add Jupiter and Mars. :-)

di ko pa ito nakita doc.

pero i once spotted Saturn near the constellation Libra.

OT: iba pumasok sa isip ko when i read heavenly bodies. sorry medyo tinotopak hahaha

So how do you know na planet ang nakikita mo, not a star? And how do you locate them?

Remember the smiley sky last year (ata)? One of the eyes was Jupiter. :-)

Mars can be seen in the Philippine night sky around the month of August. It's your month Luc. :-)

^planets move. stars don't. no, you won't see them move right away, there are certain days (for fast planets like venus and mercury)  and certain months (slower planets) that they are not in location. and in as much the same, we are supposedly able to view a certain sky on a certain season. this is more applicable to other hemispheres kc sa tropics, more or less magkaparehas lng sky natin the year round.

^^ not all the time. :-) they move because they have orbits. hehehe.

Hmm parang di pa ako nakakita ng Mars din. Madali lang ang Venus ma spot. It's that brightest "star" in the morning at a very small angle near the sun. Mercury is near venus. It's smaller and nearer to the sun. By daytime, di mo na sila ma-appreciate.

Planetary alignment is a phenomen. I'm not sure when that last happened, but people of different race and religion relate it to a great omen. I didn't really bother searching more on that.

hehehe.

when i was younger, gradeshool siguro ako nun, i have with me a sky map - constellation, stars and planets, na lagi kong ginagamit almost every night para mag observe sa night sky. mas visible kasi ang night sky sa province kesa dito sa manila.

^that is so true doc. if there's one thing i really love about the province, it's their night sky, where it's clearer and far from the bright lights of the city. you see more stars that way.

nung 1st yr college ako, muntik na akong sumali ng isang astronomy club dito sa cebu, parang sister club lang ng Ateneo Astronomy club sa manila. kaso di ako natuloy.

Quote from: Luc on April 27, 2011, 01:05:54 AM
^that is so true doc. if there's one thing i really love about the province, it's their night sky, where it's clearer and far from the bright lights of the city. you see more stars that way.

nung 1st yr college ako, muntik na akong sumali ng isang astronomy club dito sa cebu, parang sister club lang ng Ateneo Astronomy club sa manila. kaso di ako natuloy.

parang AstroSoc ng UP? cool. I joined that org in college. Nyahahaha.

Parang ganon nga doc. Wala kc ganyang club sa college na pinapasukan ko, pero yung friend ko sa Ateneo niyaya nya akong magjoin kc daw may real passion ako noon di tulad ng iba daw na sumasali lang para cool points.

Matagal na din yun, ngayon iniisip ko lang yan pag may pagkakataon ako makapag-stargazing.