☾ The ☆ Astronomy ☄ Thread ☽

Started by carpediem, April 26, 2011, 11:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

have u ever wonder if our asteroid belt is actually just shattered pieces of an old planet?

Quote from: marvinofthefaintsmile on April 27, 2011, 10:00:56 AM
how bout ung yellow moon at red moon? i saw these kind of moons.
i think these are just refractions of light because of the atmosphere fin. but i heard that fog and a dominant color of light in our atmosphere also affect how we see our moon.

Quote from: carpediem on April 27, 2011, 11:40:22 AM
Malapit na daw mag supernova ang Betelgeuse.
It was a red giant to begin with which is a later part of a star's life cycle. What's cool is, we will never see it in our lifetime dying, or even my great great grandchildren's.

Quote from: marvinofthefaintsmile on April 27, 2011, 12:09:00 PM
have u ever wonder if our asteroid belt is actually just shattered pieces of an old planet?
there's a theory on that fin pero it's unsupported. i'd like to think it was a planet too!

moon... saan ba to galing?

1. The Fission Theory: The Moon was once part of the Earth and somehow separated from the Earth early in the history of the Solar System. The present Pacific Ocean basin is the most popular site for the part of the Earth from which the Moon came.

2. The Capture Theory: The Moon was formed somewhere else, and was later captured by the gravitational field of the Earth.

3. The Condensation Theory: The Moon and the Earth condensed together from the original nebula that formed the Solar System.

4. The Colliding Planetesimals Theory: The interaction of earth-orbiting and Sun-orbiting planetesimals (very large chunks of rocks like asteroids) early in the history of the Solar System led to their breakup. The Moon condensed from this debris.

5. The Ejected Ring Theory: A planetesimal the size of Mars struck the earth, ejecting large volumes of matter. A disk of orbiting material was formed, and this matter eventually condensed to form the Moon in orbit around the Earth.

(copy pasta)

kung papipiliin kayo ng thery dyan, ano pipiliin nyo?

I'm aware of the Theory 1,4, and 5.. Yeah.. laking butas nga nung sa Pacific Ocean..

pero kung totoo yung theory number 1, ang bizarre nun!

imagine, how did it happened? a chunk of the earth to rise up to the heavens and became the moon. ang weird XD

^^ napingas iyon ng isang malaking planeta na nakaumpog sa earth siguro dahil sa nawala xa sa orbit or something.

#3 ! :D para lang silang siblings ni earth ;D

medyo OT:
naalala ko yung isang dialogue sa family guy..

brian's stupid girlfriend: get this! Ever wonder why you never see the sun and the moon at the same time?
peter: oh my god! they're the same person
brian's stupid girlfriend: I know! right?
(paraphrasing)

hahah

hmm, maybe 4 or 5, then 2 - captured by earth

Quote from: Luc on April 27, 2011, 01:06:26 PM
Quote from: carpediem on April 27, 2011, 11:40:22 AM
Malapit na daw mag supernova ang Betelgeuse.
It was a red giant to begin with which is a later part of a star's life cycle. What's cool is, we will never see it in our lifetime dying, or even my great great grandchildren's.

Why? Wouldn't it be cooler if we could witness it going nova? It would be like having two moons.

I think merong ganitong pic n nkuha sa china.. ung me dalawang araw..

An obligatory post, which I've also posted in "Interesting Reads on Philosophy" -

The Pale Blue Dot

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

-- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M