ANONG MADALAS NYONG GINAGAWA KAPAG NASA BAHAY LANG?

Started by jazaustria, October 09, 2011, 08:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
^ what book of him would you recommend?
fast-paced na? madali kasi akong ma-bore. haha.
pero pag nagustuhan ko. hindi ko tinitigilan until matapos ko.

Quote from: darkstar13 on November 08, 2011, 09:55:47 AM
^ what book of him would you recommend?
fast-paced na? madali kasi akong ma-bore. haha.
pero pag nagustuhan ko. hindi ko tinitigilan until matapos ko.

Lolita. You will be boggled. 300+ pages is not boring.

Haruki Murakami is great as well (another author), though translating his thoughts in English, which is originally in Japanese, may or may not completely express everything. Norwegian Wood is one of his best-sellers.

If you want fast-paced and not boring, definitely: Franz Kafka.

Never heard of such writers.
Hindi naman talaga ako bookworm.
In fact, I hate reading.
Back in highschool, Catcher in the Rye lang ang binasa ko, out of maybe 12+ na required reading.

Only russian writters I am familiar with are Fyodor Doystoyevski and Anton Chekov. ;)
Will check Kafka.

Quote from: darkstar13 on November 08, 2011, 10:05:15 AM
Never heard of such writers.
Hindi naman talaga ako bookworm.
In fact, I hate reading.
Back in highschool, Catcher in the Rye lang ang binasa ko, out of maybe 12+ na required reading.

Only russian writters I am familiar with are Fyodor Doystoyevski and Anton Chekov. ;)
Will check Kafka.

I'm having an idea where you came from. Catcher in the Rye as required reading, mmm...

Crime and Punishment is wonderful!!! Worth every page. You also forgot Leo Tolstoi. Pushkin is also a great Russian novelist.

In truth, I'm only reading fiction books to enlighten me, since except for Bob Ong and Jessica Zafra, I can't recall of some book written in Tagalog that is for worthwhile reading. I only love reading by the fact I should learn something relevant from it, but reading nonsense news in the everyday newspapers makes me commiserate for the trees that are cut just to produce paper.

Hehe. Haven't read Anna Karenina or War and Peace, but I do recall one of his short stories, "God Knows The Truth But Waits",
a story about a man named Makar Semyonich (hope I got it correctly) who was imprisoned for a crime he did not commit.
Quite a nice story. ;)

Yeah, marami kaming required readings, most of which ay dinaya ko by reading Barrons instead. Haha.
Nung fourth year, we were bombarded with weekly one-page-max reaction papers on various short stories.
I can still remember how my teacher is fond of Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson. We had no idea how to pronounce his name.
Haha. Those were the fun days. Sobrang galing ng teacher namin sa analysis.

As for Jessica Zafra, I think she was the one who wrote these lines (paraphrased) : 'I do not want to wake up at 40 with a bitter realisation that I wasted my life on a job I hate because I was forced to choose a carrer during my teens'.

I, however, I am guilty of 'patronizing' 'chick-flick' novels, yung mga 100+ pages lang, cosmo yata ang publisher. ;)

Parang dapat sa ibang thread na ito ;)

Quote from: darkstar13 on November 08, 2011, 10:31:28 AM
Hehe. Haven't read Anna Karenina or War and Peace, but I do recall one of his short stories, "God Knows The Truth But Waits",
a story about a man named Makar Semyonich (hope I got it correctly) who was imprisoned for a crime he did not commit.
Quite a nice story. ;)

Yeah, marami kaming required readings, most of which ay dinaya ko by reading Barrons instead. Haha.
Nung fourth year, we were bombarded with weekly one-page-max reaction papers on various short stories.
I can still remember how my teacher is fond of Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson. We had no idea how to pronounce his name.
Haha. Those were the fun days. Sobrang galing ng teacher namin sa analysis.

As for Jessica Zafra, I think she was the one who wrote these lines (paraphrased) : 'I do not want to wake up at 40 with a bitter realisation that I wasted my life on a job I hate because I was forced to choose a carrer during my teens'.

I, however, I am guilty of 'patronizing' 'chick-flick' novels, yung mga 100+ pages lang, cosmo yata ang publisher. ;)

Parang dapat sa ibang thread na ito ;)

It's Aksionov, if I'm not mistaken. I must admit I cried upon reading it because it seems just so unfair!

When we were in high school (btw I'm from a science high school), we almost dismissed literature when in fact it's the one I'm most interested about.

No, I think this sticks to the topic. Though, if you decide to have a thread about bookworms, then, I'd be glad to share my thoughts in it. :)

Haha. Si Makar pala yung killer. Yung pangalan ng killer pa ang naalala ko. ;)
I googled it, Aksionov nga yung nakulong ;)

Mali rin pala ang title ko, God SEES the Truth But Waits pala. Hehe.

I think you would like After Twenty Years (if you haven't read it):
http://www.literaturecollection.com/a/o_henry/44/

Depende naman yun sa teacher eh.
I am lucky to have the best teacher nung fourth year, and she really challenged us in so many ways I never thought I could be challenged in an English high school subject. :) she even reviewed us for UPCAT kapag maaga kami natapos sa lessons.

Does 'Batis ng Diwa' ring a bell?

Quote from: darkstar13 on November 08, 2011, 11:03:58 AM
Haha. Si Makar pala yung killer. Yung pangalan ng killer pa ang naalala ko. ;)
I googled it, Aksionov nga yung nakulong ;)

Mali rin pala ang title ko, God SEES the Truth But Waits pala. Hehe.

I think you would like After Twenty Years (if you haven't read it):
http://www.literaturecollection.com/a/o_henry/44/

Depende naman yun sa teacher eh.
I am lucky to have the best teacher nung fourth year, and she really challenged us in so many ways I never thought I could be challenged in an English high school subject. :) she even reviewed us for UPCAT kapag maaga kami natapos sa lessons.

Does 'Batis ng Diwa' ring a bell?

i'll check the hyperlink later :)

yeah, my senior English teacher was far beyond compare. she has a Doctorate but she doesn't really mind: what's striking is her deep sense of humility. and because of her, I became the de-facto editor of almost all theses of my friends back in college. no kidding. though i didn't manage to pass the UPCAT (which is one of my quasi-frustrations) I still strive for this so-called intelligence.

Nope, I'm not from Manila Science :) And even Philippine Science. I'm nearly stupid I feared for my life passing the board exams.

Uy, alam nya, hehe.
We used to hate singing that song.
Now, I kinda missed it. I never thought I would even cry after hearing Lupang Hinirang lately.

I guess that explains your being Grammar nazi. ;)

Sino bang hindi takot bumagsak sa boards?
Ako man, I had a tragic board exam experience. I really thought bagsak na ako. Haha.

Quote from: darkstar13 on November 08, 2011, 11:20:14 AM
Uy, alam nya, hehe.
We used to hate singing that song.
Now, I kinda missed it. I never thought I would even cry after hearing Lupang Hinirang lately.

I guess that explains your being Grammar nazi. ;)

Sino bang hindi takot bumagsak sa boards?
Ako man, I had a tragic board exam experience. I really thought bagsak na ako. Haha.

you know what? i've really thought you were from Ateneo High and started to activate my cynical mode. hahaha. j/k.

I have a lot -- terribly lot -- of great friends from MaSci (if I guessed it right) because we speak the same language. Nerd somehow but the core is still manageable to do some wild bloopers.

I'm being a grammar nazi because I hate jejemons - and self-conscious guys - speaking horrible English that reading it is will leave you aghast. One of the reasons I dis-engaged temporarily on Facebook.

Mmmm... I guess we will have a lot to talk about on the EB. I'm really hoping the other guys will not kick me out of the table for talking topics too way uncommon.

Haha.
I hate jejemons too.
Ever since nauso ang cellphone, hindi pa ako nag-abbreviate or nag-text speak.
I fear too much na mamisinterpret ang texts ko, since words are already subject to varied misinterpretations,
tapos nang nauso pa ang jejetext, sobrang nainis ako dahil feeling ko nabalewala lahat ng effort ko all these years. haha.

O well. tama ang hula mo. ;)

As for EB, if maraming pupunta, sa tingin ko, walang avenue for such talks.
Unless marami talagang oras, (Christmas Party, *cough*) then  I guess we have a lot to talk about ;)

Quote from: darkstar13 on November 08, 2011, 11:41:10 AM
Haha.
I hate jejemons too.
Ever since nauso ang cellphone, hindi pa ako nag-abbreviate or nag-text speak.
I fear too much na mamisinterpret ang texts ko, since words are already subject to varied misinterpretations,
tapos nang nauso pa ang jejetext, sobrang nainis ako dahil feeling ko nabalewala lahat ng effort ko all these years. haha.

O well. tama ang hula mo. ;)

As for EB, if maraming pupunta, sa tingin ko, walang avenue for such talks.
Unless marami talagang oras, (Christmas Party, *cough*) then  I guess we have a lot to talk about ;)

I've only texted in full spelling when I got my QWERTY phone. But I'm infuriated with a lot of people that still type in text-speak in the comfort of the full-fledged keyboard!!!

Yeah, I suppose I'll have to dance with the swing at the EB. That's the way it should be. Then, we'll have the nerdy talk later.

As for why I'm still conversing in English: try to ask the doctor. :D

I already read:

tUESDAYS WITH MORRIE
dan brown books aside from deception point, nabobore ako dun
girl with the dragon tattoo - stieg larson
Twilight series (lol, book ng ate ko)
self help books (social skills by John Robert Powers)
rich dad poor dad
maximize your day
hush hush
the secret by rhonda byrne
vampire diaries - dahil sa series nun sa tv haha!
great expectations by dickens
count of monte cristo by alexandre dumas - ALL TIME FAVORITE
starbucks experience

eto pa lang books ko.... borrow ako paulo coelho!!! I heard his books are really good.... =)

Quote from: jazaustria on November 08, 2011, 11:56:33 AM
I already read:

tUESDAYS WITH MORRIE
dan brown books aside from deception point, nabobore ako dun
girl with the dragon tattoo - stieg larson
Twilight series (lol, book ng ate ko)
self help books (social skills by John Robert Powers)
rich dad poor dad
maximize your day
hush hush
the secret by rhonda byrne
vampire diaries - dahil sa series nun sa tv haha!
great expectations by dickens
count of monte cristo by alexandre dumas - ALL TIME FAVORITE
starbucks experience

eto pa lang books ko.... borrow ako paulo coelho!!! I heard his books are really good.... =)

have mercy, you read TWILIGHT?!
yeah, Dumas is great!

and good grief, you're online!