Style for Men over 50

Started by mic2011, January 12, 2012, 04:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should men over 50 wear that will feel comfortable, yet stylish, but not too eye catching?

clothing
3 (75%)
fashion
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

What should men over 50 wear that will feel comfortable, yet stylish, but not too eye catching?

I'm not sure if this is the forum to go to, but I have searched for websites regarding this question, and, most of the sites for men's fashion are do not really include hot and humid countries the Philippines, and it's less sites for mens fashion over 50.

polo and jeans lng ok na..siguro wag lng yung bright colors na polo/polo shirt..at mas ok kung plain lng or wala ng print..dati yung plaid polo inaassociate natin na pang matanda pero nowadays fashion na yun for young men at parang di na ata babagay sa over 50 yung mga checkered na polo..

I think pwede kang tumingin sa Arrow na brand.. or sa Muji na brand.. My senior manager wears those products eh and it looks good on him.

Thank you for your replies. Since it's really warm in the Philippines, I tend to wear shorts, and tees during the weekend, I wear tailor made shorts so that it fits my lower body, and it's usually of linen fabric since it's cooler on the skin. If you compare the price of tailor-made shorts and off the rack shorts, the difference is not much, you just need to find a quality fabric that is cheap.

As for the Tee's I wear cotton v-necks, and, loafers without socks. Sometimes I wear oxfords without socks too.
On weekdays, I wear linen, light wool or soft cotton fabric pants, usually of lighter shades, and I usually have them re-fitted by a tailor. 
Pants, should not flap of fold at the bottom when wearing shoes. It should always drape down smoothly, plus, it really looks nice to see.

As for the shirts, fitted long sleeves usually tuck-outs.
There are two types of shirts: tuck-in, and tuck-out. Tuck-ins are longer, and tuck-outs are shorter (because you do not need to tuck it in).

My thinking about clothing is that it should always look good on you, fit you properly, be as comfortable as possible.

Polyester tend to absorb heat, and it feels very warm. Linen and cotton are very good because it breaths air to the skin. Linen tend to wrinkle faster than cotton. Cotton is really good.

also, don't wear dark colors like black as it absorbs more heat.

Yes, black colored fabrics tend to absorb heat, so I don't wear it during the day. I do wear darker colored fabrics whenever I visit places where it is usually cooler, like Baguio, or Tagaytay, and, I also wear dark colored pants at night time where temperature tends to cool down a bit especially during the first two months of the year. I just make sure that the thickness of the fabric is tropical weight or light weight.

since, it will be summer soon. You can tend to choose brightly colored polos and shorts. plus shades

poging pogi ka na nyan sir mic  ;D

dami na mag manghaharass sayo sa work nyan  :P

Thank you for your inputs and comments.

We dress according to how we perceive ourselves. There is no right or wrong way to do it. As long as you feel comfortable with who you are, that is what really matter.

I am just sharing my opinion about what I think men's style (for generation X'ers) should be especially if you live in a tropical country like ours. Maybe because of the hot summer days, we feel like almost undressing up to our bare essentials, but even then, we can still be fashionable about it.

Flip-flops is our official summer footwear. The between-the-toe slipper is good for backyard barbeque and the beach. Sandals should be used for all other outings, a simple leather that criss-cross and hugs the foot is ideal. Keep your toe nails clipped and cleaned
(Wearing socks with sandals defeats the purpose of wearing sandals in the first place. Just my opinion :) )

When I wear shoes, I don't wear socks. If you want to wear socks, invest in a toe sock, or knot sock, an alternative to ankle socks. (just make sure the socks are thin so they don't suffocate your feet).

i agree

whenever i went to work i never used regular socks i go for ika nga ultra thin hehe its like it was never there  ;D

Mic/Mike - I know you emailed me and took me a while to respond, but here's the write-up:
http://www.pinoyguyguide.com/2012/03/a-mans-guide-on-how-to-look-your-best-at-any-age.html

actually kahit ano basta nababagay sa edad. Meron kasi mga nasa 50's feeling teenager or young dahil sa get up  ;D. Sa nga ni Bea sa PBB dati, act your age hehehe

Usually, I noticed mature men always wear pants kahit nasa malls or galaan. I seldom saw them wear shorts unless at the beach or swimming pools of course. May mga nasa 50's kasi ang panget tingnan magshorts sa malls hinde bagay kasi kita na mga varicose veins sa legs (no offense meant).

Wag na magsuot ng mga shirts na lalong magpapatanda sa kanila like checkered ones tapos dull colors. It will make them more old.

In short, simplicity is the key

I really had to jump in here.  I am retired but still like to keep up with a sense of style.   WHAT REALLY GRIPES ME IS TO LOOK AT THE ADS FOR MEN'S CLOTHING.  It's not often that you will find a man over 50 in an ad that only shows him in a suit, white shirt, and tie or the dreaded khaki pants (slightly baggy) and a red plain shirt.  Someone should start a fashion magazine for senior men.