programming

Started by carpediem, January 10, 2011, 10:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
@maykel - AJAX and jQuery I think.

LINQ I am not sure - it's an MS addition in .NET. Unless you are going to code in .NET, it won't be useful. Although I heard they say it's nice, at some point parang may nagsabi na hindi na nila itutuloy sa future .NET versions. I don't know if true. But it is known that MS has a not so good track record in supporting language features and technologies.

Quote from: carpediem on February 18, 2011, 11:53:52 AM

Abstraction is merely a way to hide the implementation details of certain processes or steps. It is a way to manage complexity in code.

@carpediem

It is also a way of retaining information relevant to a certain class wherein we cannot leave out any function that is already declared abstract from the parent class, as all the methods are required to utilize :)

^ Nope. You are talking about the OO concept of inheritance. The term abstract class is not really related to abstraction.

Quote from: carpediem on February 18, 2011, 12:01:46 PM
@maykel - AJAX and jQuery I think.

LINQ I am not sure - it's an MS addition in .NET. Unless you are going to code in .NET, it won't be useful. Although I heard they say it's nice, at some point parang may nagsabi na hindi na nila itutuloy sa future .NET versions. I don't know if true. But it is known that MS has a not so good track record in supporting language features and technologies.

Thanks sa insight carpediem. siguro magagamit ko din ang LINQ since loyal sa .NET ang company ko. haist!!!! ano kaya ang magandang unahin sa tatlong yan

^ AJAX, just for the concepts and basics. No need to get too deep, because there are frameworks that simplify the implementation, like jQuery. Thus jQuery next.

LINQ only if you want to code a lot in .NET.

All of these coming from a non-web developer (at least in profession).

^^ yeah, i think IN nmn ngyn ang AJAX.. db combination ito ng Java at XML.. Asynchornous Java And XML = AJAX?

Quote from: carpediem on February 18, 2011, 01:23:43 PM
^ Nope. You are talking about the OO concept of inheritance. The term abstract class is not really related to abstraction.

Nope I'm quite referring about abstraction per se. I dont know how abstraction is carried out in other languages though. Inheritance begins with the keyword "extends" so it can be present at most times.

In php it's like this:

In games all playable characters can use all abstract methods. However non-abstracts are optional.

<?php

abstract class character{

abstract public function attack();

abstract public function item();

public function magic();

}

// this script below will return a syntax error if all abstract functions declared above are not used.

class Human extends character{

public function attack(){
       echo 'dealt 100 damage';
   }

public function item(){
       echo 'used healing potion';
   }

// The whole script will run free from errors. Why? because the method "magic" is not abstract
      and it is okay to not to call the method.
}

?>

Quote from: marvinofthefaintsmile on February 18, 2011, 02:26:38 PM
^^ yeah, i think IN nmn ngyn ang AJAX.. db combination ito ng Java at XML.. Asynchornous Java And XML = AJAX?

JavaScript marvin hindi java hehehe....
and AJAX is not a programming language, it is a technique.

The "abstract" keyword used to describe the functions in the "abstract class" Character is just incidental. The Human class is required to supply the implementations of the "abstract functions" because it inherited these functions from the parent class, or the parent class delegated the implementation details to its child classes.

An abstract function delegates the implementation to child classes. A virtual function (e.g. Magic()) gives implementation details, but allows child classes to modify it, allowing polymorphism.

An abstract class is just a class that you cannot instantiate, because it contains abstract functions.

Thus, the usage of the "abstract" keyword there is not really abstraction in the strict concept of the term.

There is an essence about the abstract keyword, if we look at the synonyms, one is "concept" hence it is deemed essential :]
Therefore my comments and yours are right based from characterization.

Uh. Never mind. Just bear in mind that different OO languages tend to define things in their own ways, and thus mix up a lot of terminologies. Different terminologies may actually mean the same, while some terminologies get implemented in different ways in different languages. For example: base class vs parent class, class methods vs static methods, instance methods vs member functions, attributes vs members vs instance variables, abstract classes vs interfaces, etc.

If programming languages were tools:

If programming languages were boats
If programming languages were religions

Search for other "if programming languages were" in Google.

^ nice  post.. by the way, what can you say about ruby? in your own opinion.

any comments about that language. im still studying that language, but lately, naka focus ako sa .NET.
but willing to learn ruby.

^ Ruby is quite an elegant language. Very similar to Python, it is one of those cool languages right now that makes you productive and happy. :) Its most popular web framework is called Rails.

It's worth it to learn the language.

tried it before but unfortunately, naubusan ako ng time na yun.

tried it with netbeans. thanks carpediem.

thanks, but ang alam ko.. mabilis sila magupdate.. siguro dahil medyo bago palang sila.

I'll give some time para makapag focus ulit diyan.. thanks :)