What's your religious affiliation?

Started by Mr.Yos0, July 11, 2010, 11:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: fox69 on July 17, 2010, 12:28:50 PM
Quote from: pinoybrusko on July 17, 2010, 12:07:18 PM
Quote from: carpediem on July 17, 2010, 11:10:49 AM
matagal na

hahaha straight answer palagi. Care to share your thoughts about this? Kahit maliit na kwento is fine  :D

honestly, im really curious about atheists that's why im hoping carpediem will share his thoughts/beliefs/experiences about his being one...

There is no story to tell really. The existence of a Christian God just does not appeal to me. Maybe there is a "god", or maybe there are even "gods". That is why I said I am an agnostic atheist.

I have had several conversations with some of my friends who label themselves as agnostics. Just like carpediem, they "are not sure" if there is a/are god/s. However, I think that they are only confused because there is something in the existence of a supernatural being that leads them to question that a supernatural being does not exist. In other words, part of my agnostic friends' being considers the existence of a god, however, they can't rationalize it's existence so they resort to convincing themselves to believe that a god could not exist. Thus the confusion.

Anyway, I think that atheism is a religion in itself. A more reliable source for looking up to what religion really means is not Mr. Wiki, but rather the Encyclopedia of Religion. It defines religion as "the organization of life around the depth dimensions of experience — varied in form, completeness, and clarity in accordance with the environing culture." Atheism is an organized school of thought, and I believe it sprung up from the negative experiences of the spiritual. Moreover, the encyclopedia talks about religion as "a push, whether ill-defined or conscious, toward some sort of ultimacy and transcendence that will provide norms and power for the rest of life." An atheist's principles and beliefs must have a foundation... a basis for which he/she decides to stand up for. That foundation I believe is one superior factor, an ultimacy, in which an atheist would live by. It can be Science, or Philosophy, or whatever that is.

That's just my thoughts on the topic of atheism. :-) I hope I learn more from you carpediem. :-)

most atheists are scientists, philosophers and those who experience real life threatening situations unanswerable by faith and blame God for misery and frustrations in life.

Quote from: ctan on July 17, 2010, 03:28:00 PM
I have had several conversations with some of my friends who label themselves as agnostics. Just like carpediem, they "are not sure" if there is a/are god/s. However, I think that they are only confused because there is something in the existence of a supernatural being that leads them to question that a supernatural being does not exist. In other words, part of my agnostic friends' being considers the existence of a god, however, they can't rationalize it's existence so they resort to convincing themselves to believe that a god could not exist. Thus the confusion.

Anyway, I think that atheism is a religion in itself. A more reliable source for looking up to what religion really means is not Mr. Wiki, but rather the Encyclopedia of Religion. It defines religion as "the organization of life around the depth dimensions of experience — varied in form, completeness, and clarity in accordance with the environing culture." Atheism is an organized school of thought, and I believe it sprung up from the negative experiences of the spiritual. Moreover, the encyclopedia talks about religion as "a push, whether ill-defined or conscious, toward some sort of ultimacy and transcendence that will provide norms and power for the rest of life." An atheist's principles and beliefs must have a foundation... a basis for which he/she decides to stand up for. That foundation I believe is one superior factor, an ultimacy, in which an atheist would live by. It can be Science, or Philosophy, or whatever that is.

That's just my thoughts on the topic of atheism. :-) I hope I learn more from you carpediem. :-)

Yes of course Wikipedia cannot be considered as authoritative or even accurate. But anyone can give their own meaning to the word "religion".

Consider however this

http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/ath/blathm_rel_religion.htm

"If atheism is a religion, then just what isn't a religion?"

Quote from: carpediem on July 17, 2010, 04:23:21 PM
Quote from: ctan on July 17, 2010, 03:28:00 PM

Yes of course Wikipedia cannot be considered as authoritative or even accurate. But anyone can give their own meaning to the word "religion".

Consider however this

http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/ath/blathm_rel_religion.htm

"If atheism is a religion, then just what isn't a religion?"

nice observation carpediem.

Quote from: fox69 on July 17, 2010, 03:18:16 PM
^^^.can i probe deeper?
Pun intended? :P

Quote from: fox69 on July 17, 2010, 03:18:16 PM
when did you realize that the existence of a Christian god does not appeal to you? any real-life experience/s which led you to this? thanks  ;D

Eons ago. I do not (edit: erratum) mean to offend the believers here, but since you'd like to know, I'll just say that it does not appeal to logic... my logic at least.

Quote from: pinoybrusko on July 17, 2010, 03:37:29 PM
most atheists are scientists, philosophers and those who experience real life threatening situations unanswerable by faith and blame God for misery and frustrations in life.
I do not know about others. But one thing is sure for me, my belief is not due to blaming God. (How can you blame something which you think does not exist in the first place?)

Just so that those who are not very clear on the terms gnostic vs agnostic, atheist vs theist, here is a good explanation

http://freethinker.co.uk/2009/09/25/8419/

As I've said, I'm an agnostic atheist. So far, it seems to me all of the believers here are gnostic theists. What I'd like to hear from is someone who is an agnostic theist or a gnostic atheist.

to all the theist and atheist... i respect your opinion/belief...
but you might wanna give this a try..
its a blog/an article by Marilyn Adamson who used to be an atheist:

http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

"Does God exist? If you want to know, investigate Jesus Christ. We're told that "God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

God does not force us to believe in him, though he could. Instead, he has provided sufficient proof of his existence for us to willingly respond to him. The earth's perfect distance from the sun, the unique chemical properties of water, the human brain, DNA, the number of people who attest to knowing God, the gnawing in our hearts and minds to determine if God is there, the willingness for God to be known through Jesus Christ."

Quote from: fox69 on July 17, 2010, 05:14:56 PM
Quote from: judE_Law on July 17, 2010, 05:13:16 PM
to all the atheist... i respect your opinion/belief...
but you might wanna give this a try..
its a blog/an article by Marilyn Adamson who used to be an atheist:

http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

"Does God exist? If you want to know, investigate Jesus Christ. We're told that "God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

God does not force us to believe in him, though he could. Instead, he has provided sufficient proof of his existence for us to willingly respond to him. The earth's perfect distance from the sun, the unique chemical properties of water, the human brain, DNA, the number of people who attest to knowing God, the gnawing in our hearts and minds to determine if God is there, the willingness for God to be known through Jesus Christ."

brother jude_Law,  second account mo ba si solomon? hehehe

haha... wala akong planong gumawa ng second account dito fox.. aito lang ako, wala ng iba! hehehe..

Is There a God? - The Question
"Is there a God?" This question is answered by asking another, "how did we get here?" 20th century science has demonstrated, with certainty, that the universe is not eternal; the universe had a beginning. Actually, mankind has contemplated this issue for millennia, long before science proved a beginning. In all that time, man has conceived of only two possible solutions -- either Someone made the world, or the world made itself.

Is There a God? - Creation
"Is there a God?" Unless we can demonstrate the world is capable of creating itself, God is the default. The incredible design that permeates all things implies a Designer. Natural laws (cause and effect, thermodynamics, gravity, etc.) imply a Lawgiver. Personal creatures imply a Personal Creator. Since everything we observe in the universe is an effect, there must have been a First Cause. Unless we are able to explain satisfactorily how each of these things exist, without resorting to a supernatural force, and find empirical evidence to support our conclusion, a Creator is default. Furthermore, any derived conclusion must be within the bounds of natural law, as natural law is a part of the universe and remains unbroken within the universe.

Is There a God? - Atheism
Is there a God, or isn't there a God, depends on our ability to disprove God. The burden of proof rests upon atheism to validate its position. Currently, the common alternative to Special Creation via a Personal Creator is the Big Bang Model of Origins. This is the accepted theory today. It is a wonder how this theory came to be accepted, as it violates two of the three Laws of Thermodynamics, and the Law of Cause and Effect. Furthermore, as retrograde motion is observed throughout the universe, even within our own solar system, the Big Bang violates the Law of Conservation of Angular Momentum. Beyond these violations of natural law, the Big Bang is unable to explain uneven "voids" and "clumps" throughout the universe. Plus, there remains the question, "where did the Big Bang come from?" This question remains unsolved, even in the minds of atheists. A few atheists hypothesize that the universe is eternal and only appears to have had a beginning. This contradicts quite a few empirical evidences and observations, as well as violating natural law.

Is There a God? - The Implications
"Is there a God?" is not a difficult question. The question that seems most perplexing is, "why are we determined to explain away God?" Let's give credit where credit is due. It seems that if there is a God, then we would be His creatures, and therefore, accountable to Him. Of course, this is not acceptable to a determined portion of mankind's intelligentsia. These "scholars" have a good control of the majority through arenas such as the public school system and the broadcast media. We are not exposed to both alternatives. We're not taught the problems with evolution, naturalism and materialism. We are simply taught the Big Bang is fact. The result is that we are not educated, we are indoctrinated. Unfortunately, the ultimate result is that we and our children are taught that there is no Divine Lawmaker, and therefore, there is no absolute law or morality. Everything in today's society, including moral codes and civil laws, are merely relative. "Survival of the fittest!" is the rally cry. No one stops to consider why or how morality developed, or that it seems to only function as a means for the survival of the weakest. Because we are taught there is no God, what would cause us to consider that perhaps there is a God and He instituted morality? Evolution is unable to account for the development of the moral code inherent in all of us. We simply ignore this truth, just as we seem to be ignoring God altogether. Society suffers tremendously as a result of our children being taught we share a common heritage with rocks and plants. Individuality, meaning and purpose no longer mean anything. And we wonder why our kids act like animals today.

And so it seems that this thread is starting to be derailed as I have predicted.

Quote from: judE_Law on July 17, 2010, 05:24:39 PM
Unless we can demonstrate the world is capable of creating itself, God is the default. The incredible design that permeates all things implies a Designer. Natural laws (cause and effect, thermodynamics, gravity, etc.) imply a Lawgiver. Personal creatures imply a Personal Creator. Since everything we observe in the universe is an effect, there must have been a First Cause.
This is the "Watchmaker analogy", or the "Eye analogy". Just read the Criticism section of Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analogy#Criticism

Quote from: judE_Law on July 17, 2010, 05:24:39 PM
Is there a God, or isn't there a God, depends on our ability to disprove God. The burden of proof rests upon atheism to validate its position.
I disagree. The burden of proof rests on the believers.

If someone were to tell you that he has a dwende, who do you think has the burden of proof? Is it you who have to disprove him, or him who has to prove his dwende to you?

Similarly, let us say you do not believe anything at first, and have no concept of "God". A Muslim then told you that Allah is the creator of everything and you should worship Allah. Is the burden to disprove Allah on you?

By the way, all men is born an atheist. (Well ok, probably Jesus was an exception. But that is another story.  :))

the fact that how universe is created is a big question mark to the atheists already.

^^ hindi ako masyadong nagwi-wiki eh... may time kasi na mali rin ang info nila o kaya pananaw lang din ng iba yung andun.. pero hindi ko naman sinasabi na hindi totoo o mali lahat ng info..

pagnagsimula ka nang hanapin ang meaning ng buhay marerealize mo na lang na there is a God...God is love ... so kung wala kang love wala kang God... di ito pwedeng paghiwalayin...