What's your religious affiliation?

Started by Mr.Yos0, July 11, 2010, 11:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
ang tanong, mayaman nga sila pero masaya kaya sila??..

life is not about wealth and charity doesn't have a price..

we can also be "good" by just giving a penny to a starving child in the street..to God, it's enough, as long as it comes from the heart..

Firstly, one doesn't need to be a believer to do good (or to be good, like what the pic says).

Second, if one is a believer, he is not automatically good.

Third, there are nonbelievers who are happy.

Lastly, whether Warren Buffett and Bill Gates are happy or not, one thing's for sure: they make millions of people happy through their charity work.

Quote from: carpediem on November 23, 2011, 06:24:03 PM
Firstly, one doesn't need to be a believer to do good (or to be good, like what the pic says).

Lastly, whether Warren Buffett and Bill Gates are happy or not, one thing's for sure: they make millions of people happy through their charity work.
What a brilliant thinking! Nice.

Well, hindi naman yan sa religion or sa dami ng good works at dami ng taong napapasaya, nasa faith yan ng isang tao, paniniwalang may Diyos siyang kinikilala at sinasamba..  :)

^ tama..at tingin ko hindi rin sukatan kung lagi kang nagsisimba (para sa mga catholic) o nagdarasal..as long as di nawawala yung faith mo sa Kanya..

and just want to add.
There are claiming believers who are really not good at all.

Quote from: marvinofthefaintsmile on November 23, 2011, 11:38:37 AM

Religion.. you get rich without capital and can avoid taxes. I was then reminded of a priest in Lucban who was able to build a mansion worth 5million but he doesn't have a job nor a wealthy family background to back that up.
First and foremost you can never say how good a person is just because they have donated millions of dollar to a certain charitable institution. I, personally, can say that they are charitable, that's it.

but it is still best if you're a believer. Good or not, you're in the right path. Bad things can be corrected and forgiveness are given unlike an unbeliever, he does good only for himself and to others but no bearing with God.

People are missing the point.

Simply put, one can be good without believing. Morality does not come from God.

Quote from: pinoybrusko on November 25, 2011, 06:46:23 PM
unlike an unbeliever, he does good only for himself and to others but no bearing with God.

Now isn't it better to be good for goodness's sake, and not because you don't want to burn in hell?

Quote from: carpediem on November 26, 2011, 08:16:20 PM
Now isn't it better to be good for goodness's sake, and not because you don't want to burn in hell?

I AGREE

for me, goodness is a result of a transformed life. and goodness does not actually assure one of a spot in heaven.

Quote from: MaRfZ on November 23, 2011, 08:57:53 PM
Well, hindi naman yan sa religion or sa dami ng good works at dami ng taong napapasaya, nasa faith yan ng isang tao, paniniwalang may Diyos siyang kinikilala at sinasamba..  :)

tama. Religion for me is just a grouping of people, but what matters is your relationship mo kay God. Yes, helping people or doing good things count, but what really counts is pleasing God. You are here not to please people but to please God. Well I liked the explanation and philosophy dun sa 3 richest persons, but who knows, anything can change. Maybe when Gates' and Buffet's wealth vanish, it is possible for them to seek God, if the same thing happens to Pat Robertson, who is a known Christian and evangelist (siya ata yung founder ng 700 Club Asia), it is possible that he might turn away from God. It's a matter of Faith and building/re-building ones faith.

Quotefor me, goodness is a result of a transformed life. and goodness does not actually assure one of a spot in heaven.
Tama ka dyan. Sa palagay ko hindi talaga iyan sapat, goodness is another thing from RIGHTEOUSNESS. Doing what is good is different from doing what is right. Yung tatlong taong nabanggit sa itaas, they are doing good things, but they are not doing the right things. Kayo na bahala mag-distinguish, hahaha..tinatamad na ako mag-type. Yan ang mahirap kapag wala magawa tapos gutom eh,kung ano-ano ang nasasabi. hehehe

Quote from: vortex on November 28, 2011, 03:18:56 PM
Tama ka dyan. Sa palagay ko hindi talaga iyan sapat, goodness is another thing from RIGHTEOUSNESS. Doing what is good is different from doing what is right.

I agree that "good" and "right" are not the same (same thing with "bad" and "wrong"). Now define what is righteousness, and what makes doing something right.

I would say that what is "right" is more relative than what is "good". What is right for Christians may not be right for Muslims and vice versa. Actions that are "good" however, like charity, love, compassion, are more universal.

Quote from: vortex on November 28, 2011, 03:18:56 PM
Yung tatlong taong nabanggit sa itaas, they are doing good things, but they are not doing the right things.

So what have they done wrong?

QuoteQuote from: vortex on November 28, 2011, 03:18:56 PM
Yung tatlong taong nabanggit sa itaas, they are doing good things, but they are not doing the right things.

So what have they done wrong?
Well from my point of view, yung sa unang dalawa, mabuti yung ginagawa nila na nagse-share sila ng wealth nila sa iba, pero mali ang hindi sila maging related kay God.
Sa huli naman, tama yung may relationship siya kay God pero hindi naman tama yung idea na hindi siya mag-share ng kung anong meron siya. Hindi ko alam kung ano pa yung ibang bagay na ginagawa nila, but on my point of view, magka-iba ang paggawa ng mabuti sa paggawa ng tama. Iyun lang. hahaha.