What's your religious affiliation?

Started by Mr.Yos0, July 11, 2010, 11:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: pinoybrusko on July 21, 2010, 03:08:59 PM
Atheists still respect other people even they dont believe in God, right carpediem?  ;D

since atheists believe that God does not exist, do they believe that the universe were made by intelligent men including the mountains, oceans, etc?
Yes atheists still respect other people. It is just that most theists lump all atheists together as if they all believe in the same things. ;D The only definitive thing about atheists is that they don't believe in God(s). Period.

For your second question, as far as I am concerned, I do not believe the universe was made by intelligent men.

Quote from: judE_Law on July 21, 2010, 04:07:26 PM
Archaeology is consistently proving the historical accuracy of the Bible.
Archaeology only gives evidence on historical accounts. :)

Quote from: carpediem on July 21, 2010, 04:35:14 PM
Quote from: judE_Law on July 21, 2010, 04:07:26 PM
Archaeology is consistently proving the historical accuracy of the Bible.
Archaeology only gives evidence on historical accounts. :)

exactly! and evidence are proofs of ascertaining the truth.

would you mind answering these questions?

1.If God does not exist, then from where comes humanity's universal moral sense?

2.If man is nothing but the random arrangement of molecules, what motivates you to care and to live honorably in the world?

3.How can something as small as a brain understand extremely complicated aspects of the universe, even though it is (supposedly) just a bunch of chemical reactions and electrical signals? But at the same time, this brain can't create another brain like itself, so how can nature, that has no brain, create a brain?

4.Everyone knows Mount Rushmore, Banaue Rice Terraces was the result of intelligent design. Do you think the human body is the result of intelligent design?

5.Is it possible that your unbelief in God is actually an unwillingness to submit to Him?

6.Does your present worldview provide you with an adequate sense of meaning and purpose?

7.Is there any evidence that would satisfy you and persuade you to become a believer, or are you just going to believe what you WANT to believe?

Quote1.If God does not exist, then from where comes humanity's universal moral sense?

Morality does not need God.

Try to answer the question by Socrates, "Is what is morally good loved by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is loved by God?"

Quote2.If man is nothing but the random arrangement of molecules, what motivates you to care and to live honorably in the world?

Motivation is not required for man to do good, although motivation does help, a lot.

Quote3.How can something as small as a brain understand extremely complicated aspects of the universe, even though it is (supposedly) just a bunch of chemical reactions and electrical signals? But at the same time, this brain can't create another brain like itself, so how can nature, that has no brain, create a brain?

The watchmaker analogy again. I'll just get the criticism from Wikipedia:

There are three main arguments against the Watchmaker analogy. The first is that complex artifacts do not, in fact, require a designer, but can and do arise from "mindless" natural processes (as in the "Infinite Monkey Theorem"). The second argument is that the watch is a faulty analogy. The third argument is that the watchmaker is arguably a far more complex organism than the watch, and if complexity proves intelligent design, then the question arises: who designed such a complex designer?

Quote4.Everyone knows Mount Rushmore, Banaue Rice Terraces was the result of intelligent design. Do you think the human body is the result of intelligent design?

The human body is the result of millions of years of natural selection.

Quote5.Is it possible that your unbelief in God is actually an unwillingness to submit to Him?

No, my unwillingness to submit is not what makes me not believe.

Quote6.Does your present worldview provide you with an adequate sense of meaning and purpose?

Hmm... so are you saying one should believe because if not his life will be without meaning or purpose?

Quote7.Is there any evidence that would satisfy you and persuade you to become a believer, or are you just going to believe what you WANT to believe?

I am not a teenager who acts or behaves the way I do just because that is the way I want to act or behave.

I will become a believer if evidence would provide me no reason for doubting. :)

i think your post did not directly(in  true essence) answer my questions..

in fact, you just defend your beliefs...

Quote from: carpediem on July 21, 2010, 04:28:49 PM
Quote from: pinoybrusko on July 21, 2010, 03:08:59 PM
Atheists still respect other people even they dont believe in God, right carpediem?  ;D

since atheists believe that God does not exist, do they believe that the universe were made by intelligent men including the mountains, oceans, etc?
Yes atheists still respect other people. It is just that most theists lump all atheists together as if they all believe in the same things. ;D The only definitive thing about atheists is that they don't believe in God(s). Period.

For your second question, as far as I am concerned, I do not believe the universe was made by intelligent men.

if you say that you don't believe in God it also means that God doesn't exist, right? Then who made the universe then?

Quote from: pinoybrusko on July 21, 2010, 07:26:53 PM
if you say that you don't believe in God it also means that God doesn't exist, right? Then who made the universe then?

Not necessarily  ;D

There's a subtle difference between these two statements:
1. I do not believe there is a God.
2. I believe there is no God.

The first statement is more agnostic while the second is atheistic.

Who made the universe? I do not know. It might not be created by any entity. It is not necessary that there should be a creator.

haha ... basta walang pikunan sa exchange of views a... even kasi sa mga hindi naniniwala sa Diyos ... God still has a way of revealing himself through His creation ...

i like this discussion.

from what i see is that "people" put in a "God" to stand as the ultimate creator or watchmaker. but it seems from carpediem's views, there is yet to be proven where all/everything started. both are probable though.

this is also my favorite site thus far...it balance things in our lives

Quote from: joshgroban on July 21, 2010, 10:02:02 PM
haha ... basta walang pikunan sa exchange of views a... even kasi sa mga hindi naniniwala sa Diyos ... God still has a way of revealing himself through His creation ...

tama josh.. mayroong paraan ang Diyos para i-reveal niya ang sarili niya sa bawat isa..

Quote from: carpediem on July 21, 2010, 08:43:41 PM
Quote from: pinoybrusko on July 21, 2010, 07:26:53 PM

Not necessarily  ;D

There's a subtle difference between these two statements:
1. I do not believe there is a God.
2. I believe there is no God.

The first statement is more agnostic while the second is atheistic.

Who made the universe? I do not know. It might not be created by any entity. It is not necessary that there should be a creator.

I think everyone deserves to know who created the universe. Malabo naman yun pag walang creator di ba?

Quote from: pinoybrusko on July 24, 2010, 02:34:39 PM
I think everyone deserves to know who created the universe. Malabo naman yun pag walang creator di ba?
It could be created, it could be just there. Or it could be created by a natural process. They are still looking for the answers.

^ Pwedeng it occured naturally..

If you're someone who don't believes on a supreme being, the genesis of the universe is unknown/uncertain.

of course, Universe is created naturally. Ang labo naman ata yung pag nanggaling sa evolvement because of thousands of light years.

How about the people? How can you say where it all started? That a man came from Ape? You really believe in the Evolution of man? If you believe man came from Ape, bakit yung ibang Apes hinde naging tao  ;D

I think it is more acceptable that there is a supreme being who creates the universe and the people to take care of the universe and other living things.