Media - TV, Radio, Newspaper

Started by ctan, October 12, 2010, 03:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ctan on October 12, 2010, 03:25:18 PM
Ressa leaves Kapamilya network.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/view/20101012-297246/Ressa-leaves-Kapamilya-network

Bakit daw?

hula q lng... pero ito eh ung dahil ginisa xa after nung hostage taking.. (mga bobong militar na isinisisi sa media ung kabobohan nila. sisihin nila si fred lim at ung presidente nating kumkain ng hipon sa chinese restaurant.)

Maria Ressa's letter to ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs

(Below is an internal e-mail by Maria Ressa, head of ABS-CBN's News and Current Affairs, officially released by ABS-CBN Corporate Communications on Oct. 11.)

Dear Team,

There is a time and place for everything in our lives. My time and place as head of ABS-CBN News & Current Affairs is nearing its end.

My contract ends on Jan. 3, 2011, and I will not be renewing. I have nearly six months of accumulated leaves so I will go on terminal leave beginning Nov. 15.

It's time for me to move on, but it's important we transition properly and prepare our organization – and its new leader – for the challenges ahead.

Ging Reyes will be taking over as news head. She will be arriving in Manila on Oct. 18 to begin our transition. Home-grown ABS-CBN, she has more than twenty years experience as a journalist, the last eight years as North America bureau chief. Please give her your full support as she takes the helm of our multi-platform operations.

I want to thank you for six amazing, incredible years where we took risks together to help define the future of journalism and our nation. We decided to take a stand and say no to corruption; to embrace the growth of social media; and to join hands with citizen journalists to patrol our votes and our nation . Thank you for your trust and support, for following me even when I tilt at windmills.

Journalism faces challenging days ahead. Value and protect your editorial independence. I wish you clarity of thought, stamina, and courage to fight for what is right and avoid the compromise of mediocrity.

You have taught me so much about what it means to be a Filipino. While my time with this company is ending, one of the most precious things it has given me are our friendships, which I hope will continue to grow even when I'm no longer with ABS-CBN.

My very best,

Maria

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/insights/10/11/10/maria-ressas-letter-abs-cbn-news-and-current-affairs-team

;D

I think sayang siya. Mas magaling siya eh. Ewan ko lang kung ganun din kagaling yung papalit sa kanya na si Ging something from North America bureau...

Basta yung reporter na taga north america naka base.... I heard siya daw ang papalit...

For good health, follow the 80-20 principle

By Ime Morales
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 11:25:00 10/11/2010
Filed Under: Asia Australia - North Asia, Health

MANILA, Philippines—A professor who lived near Cochin in India was diagnosed with six blocks in his heart arteries some years ago. He was ordered by his doctors to undergo a bypass surgery. Instead, his friends and family checked him into a Nature Cure Yogashram in Kerala.

After 30 days, the professor came out completely healed. He has followed the health principles he learned in the hospital and has been enjoying good health since.

The Nature Cure Yogashrams of Rev. Dr. Thomas Maliekal, ND, PhD have helped more than 50,000 patients since the first one was established in 1981. Patients with blockages in their arteries, those who were unable to walk, people with arthritis, women who haven't gotten their periods in years, people who suffered from infertility, heart disease, high blood pressure, asthma, diabetes, stones, ulcers, cancer (primary stage), tumor, obesity, drug/alcohol addiction, tuberculosis—these were just some of the patients who were cured without medicine and without surgery at these Nature Cure Yogashrams. They come from all over the world and they check out not only with healed bodies and a happier state of mind, but more importantly, with a better understanding of how the body works. Dr. Maliekal chuckles, "These people are alive today, they are in good shape, and are very happy."

Dr. Maliekal's story

Some 30 years ago, Rev. Thomas Maliekal, a Catholic priest, suffered from severe health problems including asthma, migraine headaches, and obesity. Another priest encouraged him to start a nature cure diet and explained to him how to change his lifestyle for better health. Rev. Maliekal followed the advice and was eventually cured. He kept the lifestyle and has since enjoyed three decades of almost perfect health.

"I was suffering, yet this suffering was easily cured without the need for medication, without any side effects and with very little expense," the priest explains. Conventional medicines almost always give side effects, are expensive, and sometimes cause more ailments. When he got cured, Rev. Maliekal tried to help other people. He started to learn more about naturopathy, through his guru, naturopathy courses, and hands-on experience. He expanded his study to include yoga, magnet therapy, physical exercises, herbal therapy, and nutritional therapy.

Patients started coming to him for health advice and medical help. Old people and patients with so-called incurable illnesses came to him and got better, "so I thought I'd open a place where more people can be cured through diet, exercise, and other natural methods," he says. It was then that the St. Tresa's Nature Cure Yogashram was born, a hospital that operates upon the basic principle of naturopathy: The body has a special and natural structure, which is 80 percent alkalinity and 20 percent acidity. When this natural balance is kept, the body's health is likewise maintained. It is a very simple method, but definitely life changing.

Today, Rev. Dr. Thomas Maliekal runs two residential naturopathy hospitals in Kerala: St. Tresa and Cardinal Padiyara, which was established five years after St. Tresa. There is already a third one in Chandrapur near Bombay, the Amala Nature Cure Yogashram. "People come and stay for 15 to 30 days to learn about how to change their lives, to practice, and get well," he explains. At these nature cure hospitals, patients are encouraged to attend classes and learn about naturopathy principles. They are also encouraged to meditate, pray, and keep their faith in God.

The 5 elements

The human body is composed of five elements: akasa (ether), vayu (air), agni (fire), jel (water), and pritvi (earth). When kept in balance, the presence and combination of these elements assist the body in its functions. These elements also help the body get rid of toxins.

1. Akasa. Emptiness is power. Ether or, essentially, empty space in the body is created through fasting and prayer. When a person fasts, the emptiness created helps the body remove the accumulated waste in the system. Rev. Dr. Maliekal encourages everyone to fast at least once a week. A person could do this by eating raw vegetables and fruits only, including juices and water; by having less meals than what he normally has in a day; or, if he is ready, by taking in water only. Fasting has some considerations and is ideally done under the close supervision of a naturopath.

2. Vayu. Air is obtained through exercise. Daily exercise like yoga and tai chi is recommended. Rev. Dr. Maliekal also emphasized the importance of wearing light colored clothing made from cotton, as opposed to synthetic materials. "So that the air passes through and the body maintains a connection with the sun, light and the cosmos," he explains.

3. Agni. The body draws light energy from the sun, so it is important to spend some time in the sun every day. A mild sunbath from 20 to 30 minutes a day is recommended. Exercises, meditation, or prayer can be done during this time. Light cotton clothes are best for these activities.

4. Jel. There are various ways to use water for health: drinking; washing, bathing or cleaning; or by using water as therapy. At Rev. Dr. Maliekal's Yogashrams, therapeutic baths include the hip bath, spine bath, full bath, mud bath, and steam bath. Massage is also recommended.

5. Pritvi. The earth produces our food. It is important to make sure that our daily diet is composed of 80 percent alkaline, and 20 percent acidic foods. The satvic diet (positive or alkaline diet) is made of vegetables including greens, sprouts, and fruits. The rajasic diet (semi-acid, semi-alkaline) includes cereals, grains, nuts, and seeds. The thamasic diet (or negative diet) is made of food items that are unnecessary, and those that cause sickness. Examples of these acid forming foods are: those cultivated with chemical fertilizers, junk food, sugar and its products, pickles, drinks that contain tannin and caffeine, non-vegetarian foods, carbonated beverages, canned or preserved foods, synthetic food items, and bakery items.

Follow the 80-20 rule at every meal, that is, one part rice for every four parts of veggies. "If you do this every day, you can be perfectly healthy and your illnesses will disappear... that's all," Rev. Dr. Maliekal assures everyone.

The right way to eat and drink

Rev. Dr. Maliekal stressed the importance of chewing well, until solid becomes liquid, before swallowing. He also advises against drinking liquids while eating solid food. "Take your liquids half an hour before eating, or one hour after," he says. When one's appetite is good, it is best to eat during the day only. At night, liquid food like soup can be taken, or fruit be eaten two hours before sleeping. Incidentally, a fruit (one variety at a time) should be taken alone at a meal, for best results.

When drinking, don't gulp your drink in but slowly sip it. A person may drink warm or normal temperature water, but never cold drinks because these stop digestion and lead to gassiness. As a general rule, avoid food and drinks that are too hot or too cold.

Rev. Dr. Thomas Maliekal's Model Diet

6 a.m. – Drink pure water or vegetable juice like cucumber (which could "melt" blocks in arteries, according to Rev. Dr. Maliekal)

6:30 a.m. – Meditation and exercises

8 a.m. – Eat fruits

11 a.m. – Take some vegetable juice, vegetable soup, or coconut water. May be taken with honey, muscovado sugar.

12 nn – Have some rice or wheat bread (1/3) with green leafy vegetables (1/3), and cooked vegetables (1/3). Don't take fruits with the meal.

2 p.m. – Have a glass of water

4 p.m. – Eat fruits or nuts

6 p.m. – Have cooked veggies, soup, and whole wheat bread

8 p.m. – Have some soup, honey water, or water with lemon juice

9 p.m. – Bedtime

Note: If your produce is not organic, simply clean them by soaking in warm salt water or warm vinegar water from 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then rinse them using clean water.

5 Power Recipes

Daily Drink
Mix vegetable juice (cucumber, zucchini, carrot, etc.) with juice of green, leafy vegetable (mint, parsley, malunggay, pechay, spinach, oregano, basil, etc.). Experiment with the combinations to get the taste you want.

Peanut Milk
Mix peanut and water in a blender. Great for growing children. You can also add some coconut milk.

Daily Dessert
Mix papaya, coconut milk, and muscovado sugar in a blender. You may also use honey instead of muscovado, and add raisins or other fruits.

Mango Chutney
Mix mango, raw coconut (firm), greens, salt, onion, and chili. You may also fry the coconut to get a variation in taste.

Best Salad
Mix orange slices with shredded coconut and muscovado sugar. You may also add/substitute papaya, grapes, or other fruits.
Rev. Dr. Thomas Maliekal flew in from India to speak at the 1st International Ayurveda, Yoga and Wellness Convention and Expo in UP Diliman last September 25. The event was organized by the Missionaries of the East and Fr. Jacob Gnalian's Sandhi Ayurveda Clinic and Research Center (www.ayurvedamanila.com). For more information about naturopathy and Rev. Dr. Thomas Maliekal, visit his website at www.naturecurecochin.org.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/news/breakingnews/view/20101011-297127/For-good-health-follow-the-80-20-principle

;D

na-try ko ang fasting, mas magaan ang pakiramdam ko after. nakakatakbo ako ng mas malayo kung a month before ng takbo, may 1 week fast ako.

Nonoy! Hehehe! Bakit ka nagpost about fasting??? Haha!

Quote from: ctan on October 13, 2010, 12:16:20 PM
Nonoy! Hehehe! Bakit ka nagpost about fasting??? Haha!

di mo ba binasa ang post ni jambee? may part dun na fasting.

jambee, iniignore ni kuya cocoy post mo.

Quote from: noyskie on October 13, 2010, 12:03:14 PM
na-try ko ang fasting, mas magaan ang pakiramdam ko after. nakakatakbo ako ng mas malayo kung a month before ng takbo, may 1 week fast ako.

naku, mahirap yan.. hinde k magkakalaman pag nagfafasting ka.. worse, papayat ka lalo kase kakainin ng katawn mo ung mga natitira mong muscle pra masustain ang functions ng mga more important organs..

Quote from: marvinofthefaintsmile on October 13, 2010, 02:47:26 PM
Quote from: noyskie on October 13, 2010, 12:03:14 PM

naku, mahirap yan.. hinde k magkakalaman pag nagfafasting ka.. worse, papayat ka lalo kase kakainin ng katawn mo ung mga natitira mong muscle pra masustain ang functions ng mga more important organs..
yan lang naman ay kung may iba akong pinaghahandaan.

Hahaha! Wala kayang fasting! Hahaha! Meron ba? Wala! Wala! Wala! Hahaha!

UN cites Albay as Model for Disaster Risk Reduction
By MADEL R. SABATER
October 12, 2010, 7:58pm

MANILA, Philippines — United Nations (UN) Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has cited the province of Albay as a model for good practices on disaster risk reduction for this Thurday's commemoration of International Day for Disaster Reduction.

"Today, on the International Day for Disaster Reduction, we recognize what local governments and communities are doing to protect themselves while building more sustainable towns and cities," Ban said in a message.

Ban said Albay is among the role "models with good practices," along with Hyogo Prefecture in Japan; Bangkok, Thailand; Bonn, Germany; Mexico City, Mexico, and Mumbai, India.

Albay was among the local governments which initially signed on to the UN's campaign on climate change in Bonn, Germany in May. It was among the first to commit to a 10-point checklist to step up investment in urban planning, infrastructure and building safety; to reinforce drainage systems to reduce flooding; and to install early warning systems, among other measures, under a two-year UN campaign dubbed, "Making Cities Resilient: My City is Getting Ready."

It was Albay governor Joey Salceda who initiated a climate change action as part of a strategy towards economic and social development, urging other local governments to do the same.

Albay is home to 1.3-million people. It has gone through major volcanic eruptions and typhoons, including supertyphoon "Reming" (international name: Durian) in 2006.

For its part, the European Union (EU) cited grants amounting to 2.1-million euros (approximately P127-million) for disaster risk reduction projects in the country this year.

"Disaster preparedness saves lives. The EU has for many years worked to support disaster Risk reduction efforts by helping national and local government agencies, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and communities to take effective and sustained measures to help communities prepare themselves against natural disasters," EU Ambassador Alistair MacDonald said.

"Here in the Philippines, the recent adoption of the Disaster Risk Management Act and of a Strategic National Action Plan (SNAP) for disaster risk reduction will help greatly in ensuring that communities are better prepared for the worst that the weather can bring. The EU is proud to have contributed through its local and international partners to models institutionalized by the Act, and to the preparation of the SNAP itself," MacDonald said.

The seven new projects to be funded by the EU will be implemented in the next 15 months, including capacity-building activities with local government units, strengthening of early warning systems and public information campaigns.

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/281865/un-cites-albay-model-disaster-risk-reduction