Pinoy Pride?

Started by carpediem, October 29, 2010, 04:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Recently I have stumbled across the term "Pinoy Pride" being used to refer to a certain phenomenon I have long been familiar with. No, it is not about some truly remarkable things that Filipinos have made. Rather, it is, shall I say, quite disturbing. It is how Pinoys focus on superficial things, on how they try to inflate some minor achievements to exaggerated proportions, sometimes to cover up mistakes. It is how Pinoys dwell on mediocrity. It is how Pinoys act onion-skinned on criticisms.

Just consider a few recent examples of this "Pinoy Pride" at work:

- Pinoys consider getting 4th runner up in a beauty pageant as a major, major achievement that compensates for the hostage fiasco. (Pambawi daw.)
- Pinoys getting fixated on a local boxer or singer who got some worldwide recognition. (Not that the achievements are not respectable.)
- Pinoys trying to identify some bit of Pinoy blood in Hollywood celebrities, or establishing some Pinoy association of certain high profile foreign personalities.
- Pinoys going gaga on some superficial feel-good news, for example a OFW maid returning a lost wallet.
- Pinoys overreacting on foreign reporters or satirist who criticized them, and embarking on an online hate campaign.

People are trying to find hope and achievement in the midst of all the hopelessness we're getting here in Manila.

it may be small things, but if it can inspire and be source of strength and positivity, why not highlight them?

at least we are fighting and in these mini achievements, it puts our country back in the world map.

Finding hope and really taking steps to achieve something is one thing; dwelling on mediocrity and submitting to the "pwede na" attitude is another. Sadly most Filipinos do the latter.

dagdag mo pa ang pagiging famous ni Pacman at Charice internationally

kahit papaano masasabi mo hinde 100% losers ang pinoys  :D

I have a friend who is now based sa Edinburg. She is really disappointed with the reputation Filipinos have... Despite the victories of Pacquiao, Charice, Arnel Pineda, Lea Salonga, etc in the international scene, Filipinos are still viewed by many foreign nationals daw as maids, yayas, or katulong in foreign lands. Ang nakakadagdag pa daw ng sama ng loob is that Filipinos are dying to get a foreign citizenship as they themselves think lowly of their kapwa Filipinos.

Quote from: ctan on November 01, 2010, 12:33:36 PM
I have a friend who is now based sa Edinburg. She is really disappointed with the reputation Filipinos have... Despite the victories of Pacquiao, Charice, Arnel Pineda, Lea Salonga, etc in the international scene, Filipinos are still viewed by many foreign nationals daw as maids, yayas, or katulong in foreign lands. Ang nakakadagdag pa daw ng sama ng loob is that Filipinos are dying to get a foreign citizenship as they themselves think lowly of their kapwa Filipinos.

europeans view it that way kasi  most jobs naman sa europe ay mga maids or DH ang work like sa italy, france, spain, sweden, monaco, netherlands, UK, etc  ;D  

Ok lang iyon basta kaya makapagpatayo ng isang malaking house and spacious lot sa Pinas na para kang nasa Italy din  ;D bale wala na ang pride importante ang future mo  :D

yung mga pinoy dying for foreign citizenship are opportunists, they have good job and environment abroad, why turn back if you can apply for foreign citizenship? E dun sila mas guminhawa ang buhay. You can't blame them, most filipinos just wanted a comfortable life for themselves and for their family in any way or solution they know.

Quote from: carpediem on October 31, 2010, 09:51:59 PM
Finding hope and really taking steps to achieve something is one thing; dwelling on mediocrity and submitting to the "pwede na" attitude is another. Sadly most Filipinos do the latter.

yes. the saddest part of all.

Quote from: ctan on November 01, 2010, 12:33:36 PM

i have personally experienced this. Kala mo kung sinong mayaman na naglalakad sa kalye ng Amerika, noong nagtawag ng kasama, gumamit naman ng "psstt" method. niyek, Pilipino ka rin pala. pero kung matahin niya ang kanyang kapwa Pilipino (dahil obvious naman na Pinoy ako), akala mo kung sinong hollywood star na naglalakad sa rodeo drive.

that i can say is not pinoy pride.

btw, there is a youtube game, filipino tag, which i think is an attempt to relate themselves with their bloodline despite growing up from a different country...

Here's another one in the making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLu39XF1gGY

Just look at how many Pinoys are commenting there. Compare that to the number of views. You can actually feel some raging over this video. It just proves how onion-skinned Pinoys are.

hindi ako napikon dito. natawa ako sa katangahan nila mag impersonate. kasi hindi naman Filipino accent yan, more like chinese. BWAHAHAHA!

seriously, chinese who do not know how to speak proper english talk and actually sound that way, in their manner of enunciation.

^ Yup, more like east asians who cannot speak english well.

Anyway, just look at how Pinoys insult people of other nationalities, masmalala pa. For example, see the video DJ Bombay of Michael V. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96g__AvW8fw, and the video Butsekik - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN-W0gcpPWo.

How hypocritical and racist Pinoys are.

The video has been removed by the user. Too bad the Korean actress gave in to the Pinoy Internet mob and apologized.

oo nga removed na. at nag apologize pa. basta pag internet, mahusay talaga pinoy. haha

Pinoy Pride?

sa net, it's about LGBT parade  ;D haha

I sometimes think that maybe we have almost entirely forgotten or given-up our own roots and took most pride instead in successfully imitating the spanish culture and uncle sam's way of living. The more foreign, the better.