Top 20 Universities in the Philippines

Started by ctan, October 30, 2010, 10:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Got this from another blog. As of 2007, a survey by the PRC and CHED showed the top 20 universities from all over the Philippines. The basis of the survey is the national licensure examinations from 1999 to 2007.

1. University of the Philippines ( Diliman Campus / Luzon )
2. University of the Philippines ( Los Banos Campus/ Luzon )
3. University of the Philippines ( Manila Campus / Luzon )
4. Silliman University ( Dumaguete City / Visayas )
5. Ateneo deDavao University ( Davao /Mindanao )
6. Ateneo de Manila University ( Manila / Luzon )
7. University of Sto . Tomas ( Manila / Luzon )
8. Mindanao State University ( Iligan Institute ofTech/ Mindanao )
9. Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila ( Manila/Luzon )
10. Saint Louis University ( Baguio City / Luzon )
11. University of San Carlos ( Cebu City / Visayas )
12. Xavier University ( Cagayan de Oro / Mindanao )
13. Mindanao State University ( Main / Mindanao )
14. Urios College ( Butuan City / Mindanao )
15. Polytechnic University of the Philippines ( Manila / Luzon )
16. De La Salle University ( Manila / Luzon )
17. Mapua Institute of Technology (Manila / Luzon )
18. Adamson University ( Manila / Luzon )
19. Central Mindanao University ( Bukidnon/Mindanao )
20. University of Southern Philippines ( Davao /Mindanao )

ah ewan sa mga blog... basta ang alam ko...

Centro Escolar University is the first university in the Philippines to be given an ISO:9001 certification on its campuses.

ISO 9001 is an international standard that gives requirements for an organization's quality management system (QMS).

The objective of ISO 9001 is to provide a set of requirements that, if effectively implemented, will provide you with confidence that your supplier can consistently provide goods and services that:

■Meet your needs and expectations and
■Comply with applicable regulations

The requirements cover a wide range of topics, including your supplier's top management commitment to quality, its customer focus, adequacy of its resources, employee competence, process management (for production, service delivery and relevant administrative and support processes), quality planning, product design, review of incoming orders, purchasing, monitoring and measurement of its processes and products, calibration of measuring equipment, processes to resolve customer complaints, corrective/preventive actions and a requirement to drive continual improvement of the QMS. Last but not least, there is a requirement for your supplier to monitor customer perceptions about the quality of the goods and services it provides.  

Time and time people post these top XXX universities so they can feel good about their universities and show how elite they really are. They just won't be content with how they are lucky to be educated unlike the rest of the masses.

Quote from: John The Baptist on October 31, 2010, 02:03:25 PM
Time and time people post these top XXX universities so they can feel good about their universities and show how elite they really are. They just won't be content with how they are lucky to be educated unlike the rest of the masses.

John The Baptist might be referring to me since I was the one who started this thread. Anyway, it didn't even cross my mind to think how elite I am to be educated as such as compared with the rest of the masses. Who would ever think of that way except for people who aren't happy with their education. People who do not have the school spirit.

This thread is started for discussion's sake dude. Those who got their education from schools posted above may feel a bit high and elated, but what would that count if where you are right now doesn't speak of excellence and being on top?

Education is not luck for me, so no one needs to feel lucky. Education is a product of will, a clear plan, a very good motivation. It does not come by chance as implied by luck or fortune. You get educated because you want to, you give your time to be educated. Public elementary and highschool is free, so the offer for education is for everyone. Not for the lucky ones.

When people start the word TOP it already gives the impression of  I'm better than you. And if you put it in a ranking it gives an instinct that MY SCHOOL IS BETTER THAN YOU. It then becomes a second implication that I'm smarter than you.

That's why I loathe these rankings. There is a inside arrogance building up.

It is still luck. You are still born to a family that doesn't have 8-9 kids who lives under the bridge and begs for change in the middle of manila road. Education may be free but the situation around it (lack of food, transportation, uniforms, book) isn't free. some of these kids would like to study but can't because of their situation and would resort to child labor just to live.

That's it dude. That is how to join the discussion. :-) Anyway, just remember that in forums, we talk about the topic per se, and let us refrain from giving ad hominems. :-)

Going back to your points of contention, governing bodies rank different universities for various reasons. One, students need to be advised as to which university to choose from. And whether we accept it or not, prospective students would want to go to reputable schools. One of the ways where students can get an overview of this is through these "top universities" surveys. Pangalawa, universities need these rankings so as to draw prospective students into enrolling into their school. Third, rankings are made to evaluate how the school is performing. As to reasons why people keep on posting this ranking, firstly, it is a topic of discussion. If you get pissed off because for some reason, your school isn't on the top, or your school is not in the number 1 position, or whatever it is, then there is a PRIDE problem with you. Rankings are mostly done in an objective manner. For this particular case, this is based on licensure examinations perfomance. Secondly, knowing that your school is doing well in terms of ranking elicits school spirit. When school spirit is high, students and alumni of that school will try hard to contribute to the school's success. Yes, PRIDE is part of school spirit because in the first place, you have to be proud of your school. And of course, I do not deny the fact that if your school is number 1 in this ranking, licensure examinations-wise, your school is BETTER than number 2.

Public schools are divided into AM and PM classes. Going to school is still a free offer for everyone.

Quote from: ctan on October 31, 2010, 03:22:14 PM
Rankings are mostly done in an objective manner. For this particular case, this is based on licensure examinations perfomance.

is that an objective measure?

Quote from: angelo on October 31, 2010, 09:27:32 PM
Rankings are mostly done in an objective manner. For this particular case, this is based on licensure examinations perfomance.

Yes

hello John the Baptist, welcome to PGG. I just remember one user here, si Solomon parang ikaw kung magpost  ;D post lang ng post  :D

Quote from: pinoybrusko on November 01, 2010, 12:11:48 PM
hello John the Baptist, welcome to PGG. I just remember one user here, si Solomon parang ikaw kung magpost  ;D post lang ng post  :D

Thank you.  Another biblical name? I guess this forum is Blessed by God :D

WOw.. pasok pala school ko dyan.. Haha!  ;D

Quote from: ctan on October 31, 2010, 11:54:21 PM
Quote from: angelo on October 31, 2010, 09:27:32 PM

Yes

i do not think so. but if that blogger says so, then so be it.

Matagal na to napag pistahan sa pex. 2 years ago pa.. sa palagay ko may new version na niyan. (Pero ganun din nasa listahan).

Papaano yung mga univs. na nag-oofer ng mga courses na hindi naman kinakailangan ng board exams? say, business courses?

Quote from: Mr.Yos0 on November 02, 2010, 12:13:59 AM
Matagal na to napag pistahan sa pex. 2 years ago pa.. sa palagay ko may new version na niyan. (Pero ganun din nasa listahan).

Papaano yung mga univs. na nag-oofer ng mga courses na hindi naman kinakailangan ng board exams? say, business courses?

uu nga paano yung mga courses ng walang board exam so hinde accurate ang list  ;D. ano ba dapat ang basis to know the top university in our country?