Questions on Protestantism...

Started by ctan, November 23, 2010, 11:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Aw, my bad. Diba hindi kayo naniniwala sa Trinity?

Hmm.. I think hinde.. Kase merong charuch ang Latter Day Saints sa Green Meadows at sa bandang Aurora Boulevard. Malalaking simbahan ito at bonggang-bongga ang church nila. Masmaganda pa sa mala Disneyland style na Iglesia ni Kristo. (Nung bata aq I though Disneyland ang church nila.)

Quote from: Mr.Yos0 on November 25, 2010, 02:22:00 AM

Trinity is a very basic faith of catholicism... when we talk about catholic wag agad nating isipin na roman catholic... catholic means universal...a church founded by the Lord jesus Christ ... one  faith one baptism.. tao lang nagdivide nito... i think thats why im proud of the church where i belong... no biases... priest can marry and people can just express themselves in worship...

The reformation churches - protestant churches believe in the Trinity. The Trinity is one of the basis of faith ng church. :-)

Unitarians pala hindi naniniwala sa trinity.

anong major differences ng mga protestants sa roman catholic?

I'll post lang siguro yung basic differences. I'll be speaking on behalf of the reformation churches.

1. Salvation is by GRACE alone through FAITH alone. Good works is a by-product of being saved. Note: Salvation is being justified, saved from eternal damnation in hell, and receiving eternal life with God in heaven. I think in Roman Catholic (RC), to receive salvation, one must receive the 5 different sacriments. Am I right?

2. Mary is a Bible character to us. In RC, there is veneration of Mary.

3. Although in different denominations, there are also different church polity and government structure, we do not have a Pope. And we do not believe that the RC pope is the vicar of Christ.

4. We do not have statues/graven images of different Bible characters.

5. When we say "saint", we refer to the Christian. Saints are those who follow Christ with all their heart, soul, mind and strength.

6. We also have a communion. We call it "The Lord's Supper", or some reformation churches call it "Communion". We do not do it every Sunday. Most do it during the 1st Sunday of the month, while others seldom do it. We do not believe trans-substantiation, as RC does. We believe that we partake of the Lord's Supper/Communion in remembrance only of what Jesus and the Disciples did.

7. We do not have novenas.

8. Each member of the reformation church is encouraged to individually read and study the Bible.

9. We do not do the sign of the cross.

10. Our pastors can marry.

What's a protestant's idea of a hell like?

Quote from: carpediem on November 25, 2010, 10:12:55 PM
What's a protestant's idea of a hell like?

actually carpediem, although most protestants agree to the Biblical description of hell, there are some factions who believe in Annihilationism, meaning, when a person dies, he ceases to exist, lost into existence thus would not enjoy the eternal presence of God after death. however, that is the unorthodox belief. so i'd rather say, that reformationists believe in this description of hell:
- Mark 9:48, "place where their worms do not die and fire is not quenched"
- Revelations 20:14, "lake of fire"
- Matthew 13:50, "furnace of fire... weeping and gnashing of teeth"
- Revelations 14:11, "the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever and they have no rest day and night"

Ok. Protestants also do not believe in purgatory and limbo right?

ah yeah, one of the differences. :-)

hhmm.. same ang belief nmin ng protestant. born again me.

Which kinda reminds.. ung isang friend q sa victory church eh ikinahihiya siyang sabihin na "born again" xa. I find  that thought stupid..

also, we dont believe n hinde mappunta sa langit ung mga kaluluwang nasa impyerno n kht na ipagdasal mo pa xa.

What's a protestant's idea of a heaven like?

I'm not an expert, but this is what I read in the Bible:

REVELATION 21

1 Then I saw "a new heaven and a new earth,"[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Look! God's dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 'He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

5 He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

6 He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

9 One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, "Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb." 10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. 11 It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. 12 It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. 13 There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west. 14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

15 The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls. 16 The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia[c] in length, and as wide and high as it is long. 17 The angel measured the wall using human measurement, and it was 144 cubits[d] thick.[e] 18 The wall was made of jasper, and the city of pure gold, as pure as glass. 19 The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, 20 the fifth onyx, the sixth ruby, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth turquoise, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst.[f] 21 The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass.

22 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. 24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. 25 On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there. 26 The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it. 27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Quote from: joshgroban on November 25, 2010, 10:03:07 AM
Quote from: Mr.Yos0 on November 25, 2010, 02:22:00 AM

Trinity is a very basic faith of catholicism... when we talk about catholic wag agad nating isipin na roman catholic... catholic means universal...a church founded by the Lord jesus Christ ... one  faith one baptism.. tao lang nagdivide nito... i think thats why im proud of the church where i belong... no biases... priest can marry and people can just express themselves in worship...

hmmm....priests that can marry are from an Aglipay Church, tama ba Josh?

iba iba ang versions ng Bible kaya marami na din ang nagsulputang mga congregations and big organizations. Iba iba din ang interpretations ng mga pastors, ministers, priests sa mga verses sa Bible.

But the important thing as I remember mentioned by my professor in Philosophy, Bible is summarized as "to love God first and to love our neighbors". From there it springs all other good practices that teaches a believer.