Proud to be a Filipino

Started by judE_Law, January 23, 2011, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
post niyo dito yung mga latest achievements ng mga Pinoy sa buong mundo, sa anumang larangan.

eto, mainit-init pa... kanina lang..

2011 Ford's Supermodel of the World Winner

Philippines - Danica Magpantay

DANICA FLORES MAGPANTAY is the winner of the 2011 EDITION OF FORD SUPERMODEL OF THE WORLD CONTEST HELD IN NEW YORK CITY.
Danica is the first Filipina to win this prestigious award. Another Filipina, Charo Ronquillo, who is now an international supermodel, placed second in this contest back in 2005.

Ford Models Supermodel of the World is the largest and most prestigious international modeling competition. Established by Eileen Ford in 1980, Supermodel of the World held its first event at the Sporting Club in Monaco. Since its conception, the annual competition has expanded throughout the globe, with licensed competitions taking place in countries such as Argentina, the Bahamas, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Kenya, Lithuania, Panama, Serbia, Spain, Switzerland, the United States, and many more. Currently the competition boasts more than 60,000 contestants from over 40 countries worldwide. A recent partnership introduced MySpace into the competition as an online scouting resource. As a result, more than 100,000 entrants were submitted in the span of one week. This legendary scouting program has discovered some of the greatest talent in the industry, including Renee Simonsen (1982 winner), Nataliya Gotsii (2003 winner), Chanel Iman (2005), Jacquelyn Jablonski (2007), Alexina Graham (2007), Hyoni (2007 winner), and many more.

Read more: Ford Models Supermodel of the World 2011 - the Fashion Spot http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f96/ford-models-supermodel-world-2011-a-115285.html#ixzz1BpKD8b3s

Pinay makes it through American Idol audition

MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin - A young Filipina singer was among the best who auditioned last night on popular FOX talent show, American Idol. 

Fifteen-year-old Thia Megia wowed judges Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez and Randy Jackson with her rendition of Adele's "Chasing Pavements". 

During her segment on Idol, the Mountain House, California high school student said that she originally planned on auditioning next year. 

"But when I heard about the age reduction (from 16 to 15 years old), I just immediately booked a flight and hotel and we just flew straight to Wisconsin.  I knew there was going to be an audition in California but I couldn't summon the patience to wait," she said.

Once she walked in and introduced herself, Lopez immediately noted that Megia had a name of a movie star. 

After her audition piece, Lopez commented: "I love you.  You're the total package."

Tyler said: "I love your voice.  I thought it had character."

Megia is going to Hollywood, after receiving 3 votes from the judges.

Megi was a semi-finalist on America's Got Talent, a talent show on NBC, in 2009.  She guested on Balitang America last March to promote her local shows in the Bay Area.

from http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-filipino/01/28/11/pinay-makes-it-through-american-idol-audition?utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=abscbnnews&utm_source=twitterfeed

;D

Filipinos listed among Oscar nominees Manila Bulletin
MANILA, Philippines - Two artists with Filipino blood earned nods at the prestigious 83rd Academy Awards: rising actress Hailee Steinfeld and cinematographer Matthew Libatique. The 14-year-old Steinfeld, who received rave reviews for her performance in the Coen Brother's ''True Grit,'' is up for a Best Supporting Actress trophy. She is nominated alongside Amy Adams and Melissa Leo (both from ''The Fighter''), Helena Bonham Carter (''The King's Speech''), and Jacki Weaver (''Animal Kingdom''). Steinfeld beat 15,000 other hopefuls who auditioned for the part of Mattie. In her feature-film debut, she stars together with multi-awarded actor Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon. Apart from Steinfeld's nomination, ''True Grit'' also scored nine other nods including for Best Actor (for Bridges), Best Picture, Best Director and Best Screenplay. The California native's mother, Cheri, is a Filipino interior designer while her father, Peter, is a Jewish personal fitness trainer. Steinfeld told Today that she was asleep at home when the announcement of the Oscar nominees was made on Jan. 25. ''I [just] heard my mom and dad screaming in the other room. They came in my room with flowers. It was very exciting. It's incredible. I'm in shock. The film overall is incredible. To be a part of it all was amazing. I'm so proud of it all,'' she related. Young sensational singer Justin Bieber, with whom she presented an award at the recently concluded Golden Globes, congratulated Steinfeld over his highly-followed Twitter account. ''met at the Globes and she is super talented. CONGRATS to Hailee Steinfeld for being 14 and getting nominated for an OSCAR for TRUE GRIT!'' he exclaimed. Aside from the Oscar nod, Steinfeld is also nominated in the same category at the British Academy Film Awards (BAFTA), among others. The London Film Critics Circle, British Academy Film Awards (BAFTA) and the Screen Actors Guild, meanwhile, selected her as one of the nominees for Best Actress. Considered as one of the most promising young stars in Hollywood, Steinfeld is a favorite among fans to star in the film adaptation of ''The Hunger Games.'' ''That's definitely an honor. I didn't even realize that people were mentioning my name. And, again, it's every actor's dream to be recognized for something that they love to do, and to get recognized for that is pretty amazing. I thank the people out there who think that...'' she previously told MTV News. Libatique, on the other hand, merited a nod for his work in the psychological thriller ''Black Swan.'' He goes head-to-head with Wally Pfister (''Inception''), Danny Cohen (''The King's Speech''), Jeff Cronenweth (''The Social Network''), and Roger Deakins (''True Grit''). ''Black Swan,'' which is nominated in five Oscar categories, is one of the several projects he has collaborated with director Darren Arofnosky, a fellow alumnus at the American Film Institute (AFI). They earlier teamed up for ''Pi,'' ''Requiem for a Dream,'' and ''The Fountain.'' Libatique's works can also be seen in Spike Lee's ''She Hate Me'' and ''Inside Man,'' as well as Joel Schumacher's ''The Number 23'' and ''Phone Booth.'' Although his parents are both Filipinos, Libatique was born in Elmhurst, Queens in New York. He started out shooting music videos (such as Tracy Chapman's ''Give Me One Reason,'' The Cranberries ''Just My Imagination'' and The Cure's ''Taking Off'') before crossing over to film.

wow, these news makes me more proud that I'm a Filipino. :-)

Nat Geo lists Palawan among best places to visit

National Geographic Traveler listed Palawan in the Philippines among the "20 Best Trips of 2011."

One of the world's most respected publications praised Palawan for its "limestone karst cliffs, coral atolls, mangrove forests, sugar-white sandy beaches, and extensive fringing reefs [that] create one of the Philippines' most biodiverse terrestrial and marine environments."

Top spots of Palawan were also highlighted in the National Geographic website:

"On the main island (also named Palawan) near Sabang, hike the three-mile (five-kilometer) Monkey Trail to Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park's navigable underground river. The five-mile (eight-kilometer) coastal rain forest route is home to long-tailed macaques, blue-naped parrots, and other indigenous wildlife.

"In the province's northern Calamianes islands, Coron Island is considered one of the world's top scuba diving destinations, offering World War II-vintage wreck diving and snorkeling in calm, crystalline waters. Nearby Culion Island, a former leper colony surrounded by sea grass beds and coral reefs, is an emerging ecotourism destination worth a day trip."

Nat Geo first heralded Palawan "one of the best destinations in the world" back in 2007, for its "incredibly beautiful seascapes and landscapes."

Apart from its magazine, the National Geographic Channel has also put its spotlight on Palawan, the fish and wildlife sanctuary of the Philippines since 1967, on some its programs, such as "Word Travels."

Fil-Am star pitcher Tim Lincecum lands GQ's February cover, named one of the coolest athletes of all time

The San Francisco Giants' Tim "The Freak" Lincecum.

Filipino-American pitcher Tim "The Freak" Lincecum has landed the cover of GQ's February 2011 issue. The 26-year-old player for the San Francisco Giants was named one of the "25 Coolest Athletes of All Time" alongside Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Tom Brady and more.

According to CBS San Francisco, the GQ list features "sports icons past and present, those most remembered and revered; athletes who played the game like it was an expression of who they were, while teaching the fans how to be big-time with grace, style, and swagger."

In November last year, Lincecum led the Giants to victory in the World Series Game 5 against the Texas Rangers, winning the best-of-seven series, 4-1. He has received the Cy Young award in the National League twice.

Quote from: maykel on February 01, 2011, 01:30:28 PM
Fil-Am star pitcher Tim Lincecum lands GQ's February cover, named one of the coolest athletes of all time

The San Francisco Giants' Tim "The Freak" Lincecum.

Filipino-American pitcher Tim "The Freak" Lincecum has landed the cover of GQ's February 2011 issue. The 26-year-old player for the San Francisco Giants was named one of the "25 Coolest Athletes of All Time" alongside Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Tom Brady and more.

According to CBS San Francisco, the GQ list features "sports icons past and present, those most remembered and revered; athletes who played the game like it was an expression of who they were, while teaching the fans how to be big-time with grace, style, and swagger."

In November last year, Lincecum led the Giants to victory in the World Series Game 5 against the Texas Rangers, winning the best-of-seven series, 4-1. He has received the Cy Young award in the National League twice.

post mo pic niya  :D

Quote from: judE_Law on January 29, 2011, 11:30:02 AM
Nat Geo lists Palawan among best places to visit

National Geographic Traveler listed Palawan in the Philippines among the "20 Best Trips of 2011."

One of the world's most respected publications praised Palawan for its "limestone karst cliffs, coral atolls, mangrove forests, sugar-white sandy beaches, and extensive fringing reefs [that] create one of the Philippines' most biodiverse terrestrial and marine environments."

Top spots of Palawan were also highlighted in the National Geographic website:

"On the main island (also named Palawan) near Sabang, hike the three-mile (five-kilometer) Monkey Trail to Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park's navigable underground river. The five-mile (eight-kilometer) coastal rain forest route is home to long-tailed macaques, blue-naped parrots, and other indigenous wildlife.

"In the province's northern Calamianes islands, Coron Island is considered one of the world's top scuba diving destinations, offering World War II-vintage wreck diving and snorkeling in calm, crystalline waters. Nearby Culion Island, a former leper colony surrounded by sea grass beds and coral reefs, is an emerging ecotourism destination worth a day trip."

Nat Geo first heralded Palawan "one of the best destinations in the world" back in 2007, for its "incredibly beautiful seascapes and landscapes."

Apart from its magazine, the National Geographic Channel has also put its spotlight on Palawan, the fish and wildlife sanctuary of the Philippines since 1967, on some its programs, such as "Word Travels."

indeed. a great place to relax and appreciate the environmental beauty of PH.

wow palawan! sana makapunta ko this summer.

CONGRATULATIONS "THE FILIPINO FLASH" NONITO DONAIRE!!!

WE ARE PROUD OF YOU!!!

NEW WBC, WBO BANTAMWEIGHT CHAMPION!!!