Some religious comparisons

Started by carpediem, January 23, 2011, 02:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Religious comparisons and discussions in this thread.

Just an infographic on the views of Roman Catholicism, Buddhism, Islam, and Judaism on matters about sex and sexuality.

This looks interesting, the Catholic Church is really straightforward on issues but lenient in applying laws. Everyone else is very strict with their laws.

They say Roman Catholicism is the strictest among the Christian denominations, however the Catholics are the slackest among the Christians. Agree or disagree?

Does Roman Catholicism become strict because the Catholics are slack, or are Catholics slack because Roman Catholicism is strict?

Quote from: carpediem on January 23, 2011, 02:11:10 PM
Just an infographic on the views of Roman Catholicism, Buddhism, Islam, and Judaism on matters about sex and sexuality.

i dont like the word condemned for  romans 8:1 says....there is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus.... i think roman catholic are just strong  as far their stand is concerned

^ I guess it's more of "Disallowed", since the other end of the spectrum is "Allowed".

I actually find it surprising that Islam seems to be more lenient as shown. Can anyone confirm? (May Muslim ba dito?) Maybe the enforcement is just stricter in Islam, and the punishments more severe.

I have muslim friends from saudi arabia and they have strict laws on premarital sex and homosexuality.
They do stone women who give the family shame.

^ Yes, like adultery for example, in which stoning is also the punishment in the Bible, until it is sort of forgiven by Jesus with the quote "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

Speaking of adultery, it is not illustrated in the infographic. I would guess it is "condemned" in all Abrahamic religions.

I'm from Mindanao and I have a lot of Muslim friends. Yes, homosexuality is strongly condemned in their religion. Premarital sex is also generally not allowed but the "liberal" (quoted since no Muslim is actually liberal) are neutral about it.

From the Abrahamic religions, I agree that adultery is strongly condemned. It traces back to the Pentateuch laws.

babalik at babalik sa how we practice the thngs that we believed in.... kasi talamak sa muslim ang  pangmomolestya lalo na sa mga di nila kalahi kahit sa kapwa lalaki....so pano naman yung parusa na pinapataw nila sa gumagawa nito... the standards that you set will be the standards na ipapataw din sayo...again and again...he who has no sin let him be the one to cast the first stone... but then again who hasnt

The pic below is an old one. It depicts the public's perception of Muslims, Christians, Jews, and Buddhists, according to their Google searches (by the suggestion feature).

Some of those characteristics illustrated were already outdated. However many still stand true and you can see my experiment below. Apparently Google has censored search suggestion for "why are muslims".

why are jews:
hated, so cheap, rich, liberal, so smart, democrats, so rich, the chosen people, so successful, so liberal

why are jews so:
cheap, smart, rich, successful, hated, liberal, funny, powerful, greedy, good with money

why are christians:
so judgemental, so mean, so ignorant, against holloween, persecuted, republican, hated, against gay marriage

why are christians so:
judgemental, mean, ignorant, intolerant, hypocritical, fat, weird, narrow minded, happy

why are catholics:
hated, against birth control, democrats, so strict, against abortion, not christians, against condom, wrong, baptized as babies, hypocrites

why are catholics so:
strict, judgemental, ignorant, concerned about sin, close minded, uptight, traditional, awesome, concerned about sin amazon

why are protestants:
wrong, called protestants, against catholics, called huns, so anti cathlic, against the pope, ignorant

why are protestants so:
anti catholic

why are protestants and catholics:
against each other

why are buddhists:
so happy, vegetarians, bald, so selfish, pacifists, robes different colours

why are buddhists so:
happy, selfish

why are hindus:
upset with avatar, vegetarian, cremated, polytheistic, so upset with avatar, called hindus, not allowed to eat beef, angry

I also tried atheists, even though atheism is not a religion.

why are atheists:
so awesome, so angry, so intolerant, angry, hated, so smart, smarter, so ignorant, wrong

why are atheists so:
awesome, angry, intolerant, smart, ignorant, hated, intelligent, smug, bitter

with regards to stoning those who commit sin i think its so inhumane.....and also an old practice ...kung ngayon to gagawin....dami na sigurong walang asawa hehe.... tsaka bias din... sa lalaki di naman masyado..... iba standards pas nanlalaki ang babae parang ang bigat bigat patawarin ng mga religion na kasapi sila....

The current news on suicide got me thinking of the views of different religions regarding it.

Based on my understanding, it would seem to be like this:
Condemned - Christianity, Islam, Judaism
Condemned in most cases - Buddhism, Hinduism

We don't condemn suicide... neither do we condone it. :-)

^ Ok. But there are many Christian denominations. My impression is that generally it is condemned by the Christian community.