Languages and Thoughts

Started by carpediem, May 29, 2011, 11:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've read several discussions on languages and how they shape human thought and world view and I want to start a discussion here.

The hypothesis is called linguistic relativity. The strong version of the hypothesis states that language determines thought and that linguistic categories limit and determine cognitive categories. The weak version states that linguistic categories and usage influence thought and certain kinds of non-linguistic behavior.

I believe we are all at least bilinguals here. Some are tri- and multilingual.

Do you think that the languages you speak affect or determine your thoughts?

Do you think differently when you switch from using one language to another?

Do you think that some languages are "more powerful" in some aspects than others?

Here's an article (PDF) that presents several interesting examples and findings that support the hypothesis.

http://psychology.stanford.edu/~lera/papers/sci-am-2011.pdf

Didn't read the pdf, but I will find time to. What I know though, is that being multi-lingual is relative to high intellect.

I do however find that certain people speaking a common language have some sort of similar behavior tendencies. If this is a matter of upbringing, or culture, or for the sake of argument - language, this I'm unsure.

Also, I seem to have a different thought process when switching languages. But I wonder if that's just a matter of translation.

Do you think that the languages you speak affect or determine your thoughts? No

Do you think differently when you switch from using one language to another? No

Do you think that some languages are "more powerful" in some aspects than others?
No

Language don't affect my thoughts. Thoughts came from your mind and Language is required to communicate with other people and not to communicate with yourself

^ try to read the linked article :)

I feel that Filipino is already too Anglicized, that I think bilingual Filipinos who speak both Filipino and English most probably would not feel any difference.

Hmm.. I don't really know. I could probably say more if I knew more languages, or knew a completely different language. In my case, I am only fluent in three. It would be unfair to judge other languages which basics are the only ones I'm familiar with.

My mind becomes preoccupied with translation, but my thought process tend to stick with my 1st language.

Although I do believe that there might be other languages whose expressions are somehow more powerful than others.

I personally think that there are languages more powerful or expressive than others, at least in certain aspects.

For example, English is more expressive in scientific fields, that's why when I "do science", I automatically switch my thinking process to use English.

I think Filipino is clunky for science and math and many other fields.

Accents on the other hand ... xD xD xD

Somehow, I think that languages do affect one's thought process. Kasi na-observe ko lalo na kapag conversations, iba't ibang lahi, iba't ibang region, may distinct sense of humor. What may be funny for one group may not be funny to other groups because the way a funny antic is communicated is different.

Language is also related to culture, and culture affects one's worldview. A culture that puts so much value on cows, may find it sacrilegious for someone to say "holy cow!", while the one who said it, blurted it out as an expression only.

Certain languages may also be "superior", as what carpediem said. In science and other technical fields, there are languages without direct translations to certain terms. That is why, most resort to the languages that has a direct translation of the term so that a statement becomes objective and scientific.

I remember an erstwhile discussion in a now defunct forum that there is no equivalent for the word "efficient" in Filipino (Tagalog), and that this seems to say something about Filipino culture.

No. I think first (and then determine the suitable language to express it better) before I speak. So for me its the other way around, my thoughts determine the language I speak.

Do you think differently when you switch from using one language to another?

Yes, language one is more 'care-free' but language two is more 'sharp'. That's how I could describe it. Hehe

Yes, I personally find that there are some things that are difficult to express or explain using a particular language which can be done easily when conveyed through a different language.

I realized this is very applicable to humor. Humor in every language differs. If you are well versed in that language, you'll find it funny, but with another language, it's a whole different humor.

Also related: Do deaf-mute people think differently? Do they think differently using sign language?

tama. may iba't ibang mga languages na kayang mag-express efficiently sa iba't ibang fields.

Yes, somehow, I do believe.. siguro judging by how other languages simply/complicatedly describe and interpret things.

Quote from: carpediem on June 02, 2011, 10:29:03 PM
Also related: Do deaf-mute people think differently? Do they think differently using sign language?
They think largely through visualizations?

Quote from: carpediem on June 02, 2011, 10:29:03 PM

I don't want to sound very biased pero I think mas may limitations ang sign language as compared to spoken language. Or is it just because mas sanay ako sa spoken words for communication? Hmmmm...