No Smoking in Public Places

Started by MaRfZ, May 30, 2011, 11:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
What's your view regarding this?

Give the government 5 mos, mawawala din yan.

MANILA, Philippines - Starting next week, smokers will be unwelcome in public places along major and secondary roads of the metropolis.

Officers from the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), together with the 17 local government units (LGU) of Metro Manila, will prohibit lighting up in bus terminals, waiting sheds, schools, hospitals, recreational places and inside public utility vehicles starting May 30 as part of a joint campaign to protect Filipinos from secondhand smoke.

The smoking ban came just in time for the World No Tobacco Day celebration on June 1. New York-based Bloomberg Philanthropies has approved a P9.5-million grant for the program.

"We'll be launching an information campaign so people will know that smoking will be prohibited in certain areas of main roads of the metropolis," Dr. Loida Alzona, division chief of MMDA's public health safety and environment protection, said in an interview on ANC's "Top Story" on Friday.

MMDA's "environmental enforcers" will issue warnings to those who will be caught violating the provisions of Republic Act 9211 or the Tobacco Regulation Act of 2003 for the month of June.

Alzona said penalties, which include fines and community service, will take effect in July.

While it supports the smoking ban in areas like schools, hospitals and public facilities, the Philippine Tobacco Institute (PTI) said it is against the smoking ban in major and secondary roads in Metro Manila.

PTI argued that the roads are not included in RA 9211's list of prohibited places, and hoped that the MMDA will reconsider its decision to implement the anti-smoking campaign.

Data from the Department of Health (DOH) and the World Health Organization showed that smoking kills 10 Filipinos every hour, or 80,000 every year. -- With a report from ANC

Source:
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com

Mahirap nga siguro itong gustong gawin ng MMDA pero siguro para saken, dun na lang sa public vehicles tulad sa jeep. Nakakainis yun mga naninigarilyo kasi sa loob ng jeep pati na din yun driver.

Quote from: hypebeast on May 30, 2011, 11:53:18 PM
Give the government 5 mos, mawawala din yan.

it's not the government's sole responsibility. for it to be successful, dapat maki-cooperate din ang smokers. if i was a chain smoker, i would cooperate. simply because meron nag-effort para gawin ang ordinance na ito and because may respeto ako sa non-smokers.

but no, complying to the ordinance is the least of my concerns. i decided to quit since august 2010. i just hope that people will follow.

Impossibleng maging successful to. not unless every one will decide to stop smoking even our president.

on the contrary, ako napaka positive ng outlook ko for this rule.
sana naman talaga making considerate talaga ang mga smokers. if they do not care, then talagang go sa no-smoking law

hindi ako against sa mga naninigarilyo... pero sana nga naman, intindihin niyo na hindi lang kayo ang tao sa mundo.

Quote from: judE_Law on June 05, 2011, 10:20:41 PM
hindi ako against sa mga naninigarilyo... pero sana nga naman, intindihin niyo na hindi lang kayo ang tao sa mundo.

Quote from: angelo on June 05, 2011, 09:07:46 PM
on the contrary, ako napaka positive ng outlook ko for this rule.
sana naman talaga making considerate talaga ang mga smokers. if they do not care, then talagang go sa no-smoking law

agree ako dito..

ayoko lang naman yun naninigarilyo sa loob ng jeep at bus.
sobrang nakakainis yun ganun.