how to deal people in the province who cannot appreciate fashion...

Started by vittoluis, April 26, 2012, 02:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi guys! I'm a guy who was born in a province that is just an hour away to Manila. I have lived in Makati for years and abroad as well, so I got influenced of so many cultures. I appreciate every fashionable idea that I get and it's too easy for me to adopt it as long as it fits my body structure, personality, complexion and height. When I stayed in Makati and other countries, I always get praises from other people and it's flattering and sometimes they just ignore it. When they don't like what I'm wearing, usually I don't hear anything from them or sometimes i just get a look that says i don't care if you look stupid. But after a few years, I decided to work in my hometown to live simply. But sometimes I cant help myself and wear fashionable clothes and accesories. I confident that if I will wear it in manila it's just ordinary. but in my hometown, people always recognizes anything that i wear (even a simple jeans and shirt and shoes matters to them) and it irritates me so much. It's okay to hear them once in a while, but it's really irritating to hear them everyday! i think it's too long already but i just wanna hear your opinions guys. it would be a big help for me and i will appreciate any info from you guys! gracias!

where is your hometown? province?

I would say, just ignore them

yeah, i think that's the best thing that i should do. it's just irritating to hear them everyday since some of those are my oldies officemates. thanks for the comment. :)

can't really agree or disagree because i'm not sure what your style choices exactly look like.

Also, what's appropriate for the environment is still a factor. When I went to Tokyo I was in awe at how cool and different the street styles were. I thought I already dressed well on Manila standards pero nagmukha akong boring sa city square with my "normal" Manila clothes. If I took one of them and brought him to Manila with what he was wearing, a lot of people might not like it.

If you bring a very stylish London bloke with pegged trousers, bright socks, two-tone brogues and a blazer with pocket square to downtown L.A., baka mabugbog yun dun.

If you love your style so much and are unwilling to adjust, then you have to ignore what everyone is saying and they'll just eventually learn to accept it. Or move to Manila. Or talk to them about how their constant prodding annoys you--baka naiinggit. Or be a bitch about it and tell them how awful they look in their clothes (kidding).

Or you can look at what their norm is, then learn to infuse your personal style subtly; wag sabay sabay ang mga trendy accessories dahil baka mabigla lahat. And look at your fit; if there's anything that is globally stylish, it would be an excellent fit.

i'll just ignore them. i have my fair share of sticking like a sore thumb since highschool at barkada ko pa ang madalas mag-criticize sa akin the way i don't conform with the norm or should i say with their standards na usual preppy - polo shirt, jeans and sneaker/topsiders. my style back then leans toward punk/brit rock... mabibilang lang sa daliri kung ilan lang kaming ganoon mag-suot sa school namin, it like having a cult hehehe bottomline i just ignored their bickering then eventually noong college and until now i became our barkada's official-go-to-guy when it comes to fashion, cars and watches. the most recent conversation with one of my barkada was about:
- best place to have his civic FD painted and kitted with mugen RR goodies.
- pick the model for his first panerai
- bang for the buck tailor for his suits
- he wants to up the ante of his shoe game which i had him started with basic chuck x varvatos collab and nice brogue to go with his slim suit.

thanks johnny denim and hiei!!! :) this is actually the first time that i joined a forum and i so much appreciate your comments. makes a lot of sense! i got overwhelmed of your posts, i didn't expect that there would really be people like you who would care to answer my question seriously. thanks a lot.

i just realized that i really have to adjust my style and wear something that is not so foreign... but actually, i already adjusted my style to "simple but elegant"... i think their main problem is ENVY. they cant accept the fact that i can spend more of my income to fashion stuff just for the sake of fashion which they dont do or cant do maybe. i know their lifestyle and definitely they are not that type who will buy fashion mags or search google for what's in and what's not. i just have to ignore them right?! and wear what im comftable of wearing! thanks :)

^post ka ng pics para makita ang style mo. just cover your face kung nahihiya ka.

hi incognito! :) i realized just now that this forum could help me a lot to show my style first before wearing it haha. i find u guys credible when it comes to style that is appropriate here in our country.anyways maybe i could share it soon with u guys.

i asked that question because i was so irritated with their comments everyday when it comes to my shoes and bags and hairstyle etc. (we have a uniform actually) i change my hairstyle, shoes and bags everyday so that i could show them that u could be fashionable, stylish and  stand out kahit lahat kayo is parepareho ng suot everyday because of the uniform.sometimes kasi it's so boring to see yourself wearing the same clothes everyday kaya your accessories could express your personality and feelings in a way db?

but thAnks a lot for asking Incognito... appreciated! :)

Quote from: vittoluis on April 26, 2012, 02:16:23 AM
Hi guys! I'm a guy who was born in a province that is just an hour away in Manila. I have lived in Makati for years and abroad as well, so I got influenced of so many cultures. I appreciate every fashionable idea that I get and it's too easy for me to adopt it as long as it fits my body structure, personality, complexion and height. When I stayed in Makati and other countries, I always get praises from other people and it's flattering and sometimes they just ignore it. When they don't like what I'm wearing, usually I don't hear anything from them or sometimes i just get a look that says i don't care if you look stupid. But after a few years, I decided to work in my hometown to live simply. But sometimes I cant help myself and wear fashionable clothes and accesories. I confident that if I will wear it in manila it's just ordinary. but in my hometown, people always recognizes anything that i wear (even a simple jeans and shirt and shoes matters to them) and it irritates me so much. It's okay to hear them once in a while, but it's really irritating to hear them everyday! i think it's too long already but i just wanna hear your opinions guys. it would be a big help for me and i will appreciate any info from you guys! gracias!
-yes! dude i agree of what you've said about of being fashionable when you're in province,we do have same experiences,it's too irritating,
i always ignore of what they saying,who cares! haha!
anyway when i'm in city i can be fashionable as well but in province i just wear too simple,

we should ignore them''' haha

Wag mo na lang pansinin. Kung dun ka naman komportable sa suot mo eh di hayaan mo na kung ano man sasabihin nila. :D

anu ba ang pakielam nila sayo. hindi naman sila ang nagsusuot kundi ikaw so bakit sila magiging affected? i may be wrong but im sensing some insecurities from them. Hindi mo naman sila inaano sa suot mo. Hindi naman siguro offensive yung suot mo so why get affected? Mga insecure ang mga tawag sa mga taong ganun. I would just advise you to ignore them.

Other people just don't want Bakasyonistas/Manileno's with the same scary look as Lady Gaga has. Behead me if i'm wrong.

thanks mang juan, geo and syndicate for the comments.

mang juan and geo... correct, ignore na lang. i know insecure lang talaga siguro and maybe talagang iba lang talaga ang tastes nila. actually konti pa lang ung ngcomments before pero nakuha ko n ung answer... ignore. masyado lang siguro ko narindi sa mga sinsabi nika almost everyday.

syndicate... im not that type of dresser... that's the reason why i asked this question. i just keep my outfit simple, pero they still say something. one example, my all black outfit for a corporate ocassion, sa salon daw ako ngwwork or sa perfume section daw ng dept store. my white shoes daw doesnt look good daw s uniform, pero ang dami nmn ngwwhite shoes s office and mas maganda nmn ung shoes ko s kanila. a simple edgy hairstyle is a big deal din. things like those... i like achromatic colors so that i wont get to much attention, i dont wear weird clothes. i think it's my height (5 11) and my fierced looking eyes(i have deepset eyes) that gets their attention. some are oldies as well kaya siguro di na sila makrelate s fashion of the new generation. :)

An all black outfit may be too severe, even for a Manila corporate setting. I would recommend mild contrast using neutral tones. Several authors would for example recommend navy or grey suits over black for corporate, for the reason that all black is too imposing.

Also, white shoes are very tricky. What kind of shoes are we talking about here? White leather shoes? Are they of a glossy material? Are they pointy, round or square toe? Or are they sneakers? White sneakers or canvas shoes are very easy to wear with shorts/jeans/chinos. White leather shoes are dangerous territory, it's easy to go wrong. The combo White dress shoes with black pants is too stark, masakit sa mata. In fact i don't know kung saan bagay ang white dress shoes aside from beige or khaki trousers.

Trendy also doesn't mean stylish. Are you a fashion victim or sartorially conscious? Nobody here really knows. Incognito suggested you post pix to elicit objective opinion and I agree. That's how we can determine if the comments from the province are baseless and ignorant or if there truly is an opportunity to make improvements.