What's your religious affiliation?

Started by Mr.Yos0, July 11, 2010, 11:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ctan on July 27, 2010, 05:36:45 PM
Just some anecdotes from renowned scientists:

1. Stephen Hawking, a British astrophysicist said: "Then we shall... be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God."

2. Johannes Kepler, the one who formulated the Laws of Planetary Motion said: "I had the intention of becoming a theologian...but now I see how God is, by my endeavors, also glorified in astronomy, for 'the heavens declare the glory of God.'"

3. Isaac Newton, formulator of the 3 Laws of Motion said: " This thing [a scale model of our solar system] is but a puny imitation of a much grander system whose laws you know, and I am not able to convince you that this mere toy is without a designer and maker; yet you, as an atheist, profess to believe that the great original from which the design is taken has come into being without either designer or maker! Now tell me by what sort of reasoning do you reach such an incongruous conclusion?"

4. Michael Faraday also said: "Speculations? I have none. I am resting on certainties. 'I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day.'"

5. James Prescott Joule who described the First Law of Thermodynamics said: "It is evident that an acquaintance with natural laws means no less than an acquaintance with the mind of God therein expressed."

6. Louis Pasteur said: "The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator."

And yes,

7. Albert Einstein, who did not believe in a personal God said: "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." He also said, "I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangements of the books, but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God."

Like this one.  :D

Quote from: judE_Law on July 30, 2010, 07:08:48 PM
Quote from: ctan on July 30, 2010, 03:19:27 PM
Quote from: carpediem on July 30, 2010, 01:24:23 AM
@ctan: Off topic, do doctors withhold some findings from their patients? If so, why?

no. it is the patient's right to know. the applicability of being selecive does not apply in this aspect. when you try to analyze the context of my being selective, you will know why.

in the US.. that is their way..
but here in the philippines.. its the other way around.. mas nauuna pang malaman ng family yung sakit nung naka-ospital kesa sa tao mismo na may sakit.
tas tatanungin sa pamilya.. kung gusto bang ipaalam sa kanya yung totoo niyang sakit..

May mga factors pa kasi kung bakit hindi pa pina-paalam. It does happen.

Religion : Catholic
Relationship : Christian

Para kasi sa akin ang Chirstian is not a religion it is more on relationship with God. :)

Quote from: ctan on August 04, 2010, 12:19:45 AM
every friday nasa rob pioneer din ako. may cellgroup meeting kami dun. hehehe.

Nice... may CG pala kayo sa Rob Pioneer. nice.... :)

Quote from: ctan on December 23, 2010, 07:31:55 PM
Every thursday na ngayon maykel. :-)

nice... pede ba akong sumama kahit minsan.. :)

Quote from: MaRfZ on December 26, 2010, 06:33:09 AM
nice christian din pala si maykel?  :)

Opo. christian po ako... :)
hindi lang gaanong halata... :)

Quote from: ctan on December 26, 2010, 12:01:50 AM
sure!!! :-)
Thanks. Maybe next year eh makasama ako. I will inform you kapag pede ako..:)

Plan ko kasi next year is magchurch na ulit. It's been 6 mos na walang sunday service or any gathering eh.hehe

I agree with junjaporms... sa dami kasi ng religion sa bansa natin eh hindi mo madistinguish kung sinu ang kabilang sa mga sect na hindi nagcecelebrate ng Christmas. I think naging issue na yun before. Pinagbawal na sa airport ang paggreet ng "Merry Christmas".

^ I think iba naman yung case na pinagbabawal sa airport ang paggreet ng "Merry Christmas". Dahil nagiging bad habit and tradition na yung Merry Christmas sabay hingi ng pera o aginaldo. Imagine mo pag nakita ng mga forein visitors yan, baka next time may dagdag tagline na ang Pilipinas aside from "a nation of servants" -- "a nation of beggars".

Quote from: carpediem on December 28, 2010, 02:18:42 PM
^ I think iba naman yung case na pinagbabawal sa airport ang paggreet ng "Merry Christmas". Dahil nagiging bad habit and tradition na yung Merry Christmas sabay hingi ng pera o aginaldo. Imagine mo pag nakita ng mga forein visitors yan, baka next time may dagdag tagline na ang Pilipinas aside from "a nation of servants" -- "a nation of beggars".

ay ganun ba yun.. sori hindi kasi ako palabasa ng news... :)

if you say say "happy holidays!" parang sinabi mo parin na "merry christmas", for all we know wala namang "merry atheist day" tuwing december; christmas day lng.

^ di rin a. "holidays" kasi walang pasok karamihan.

^ yeah, and Winter Holidays, New Year's Day.  :)