READ AND PONDER

Started by joshgroban, January 26, 2011, 12:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
ito ay thread kung saan gusto mo lang magshare ng reading materials o information para sa iba.... anything under the sun pero sana it will educate and edify others

Stewardesses'  []  is the longest word typed with only the left hand.

And 'lollipop'  []  is the longest word typed

with your right hand.

(Bet you tried this out mentally, didn't you?)

No word in the English language rhymes with
month , orange, silver, or purple.
[][]

' Dreamt' is the only English word that ends in the letters 'mt'. 
(Are you doubting this?)

[]

our eyes  []  are always the same size from birth,
but our nose[] and ears
[]
never stop growing.

The sentence: 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog'
uses every letter of the alphabet.
(Now, you KNOW you're going to try this out for accuracy, right?)

[]

The words 'racecar,'  []  'kayak'  []  and 'level'  []are the same whether they are read left to right
or right to left (palindromes). 
(Yep, I knew you were going to 'do' this one.)

There are only four words in the English language which end in 'dous': tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.

(You're not possibly doubting this, are you ?)

There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order: 'abstemious' and 'facetious.'
(Yes, admit it, you are going to say, a e i o u)

TYPEWRITER    []  is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard. 
(All you typists are going to test this out)

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
    []

A goldfish  []  has a memory span of three seconds .

(Some days that's about what my memory span is.)

A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second. []

A shark  []  is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.

A snail  []  can sleep for three years. 
(I know some people that could do this too.!)

Almonds are a member of the peach  []  family.

An ostrich's eye[] is bigger than its brain.

(I know some people like that also .  Actually I know A LOT of people like this!)

Babies[] are born without kneecaps.

They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.

February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.
[]

In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.

[]

If the population of China walked past you, 8 abreast,
the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

[]

Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors

[]

Peanuts  []  are one of the ingredients of dynamite! []

Rubber bands[] last longer when refrigerated.

The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing. []

The cruise liner, QE 2,
[]
moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel that it burns.

The microwave  []  was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket. 
(Good thing he did that.)

The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls   []
froze completely solid .

There are more chickens []than people in the world.

Winston Churchill
[]
was born in a ladies' room during a dance.

Women blink[] nearly twice as much as men.

Now you know more than you did before!!

The Rain-Thomas Kinkade

[]
This is a Thomas Kinkade painting It's rumored to carry a miracle!
They say if you pass this on, you will receive a miracle.

I am passing this on because I thought it was really pretty,

and besides, who couldn't use a miracle?!

Handbook for Life

HEALTH:
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like beggar.
3. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is
manufactured in plants.
4. Live with the 3 E's — Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy.
5. Make time to meditate.
6. (Breathe)
7. Read more books than you did in 2009.
8. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
9. Sleep for 7 hours.
10. Take a 10-30 minute walk daily. And while you walk, smile.

PERSONALITY:

11. Comparing our lives to others is fruitless. We have no idea what their journey is about.
12. Replace negative thoughts with positive ones especially about things out of our control. Invest energy in the positive present moment.
13. Try not to over do. Understand limits.
14. Why take ourselves so seriously. No one else does.
15. Gossip drains precious energy.
16. Dream more while we are awake.
17. Envy is a waste of time. We already have all we need.
18. Forget issues of the past. Let go of our partners mistakes of the past. Focus on our present/future happiness.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
20. Make peace with our past so it won't spoil the present.
21. No one is in charge of our happiness except us.
22. Realize that life is a school and we are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons we learn will last a lifetime.
23. Smile and laugh more.
24. We don't have to win arguments. It's ok to agree to disagree.

SOCIETY:
25. Call your family often.
26. Each day give something good to others.
27. Forgive everyone for everything.
28. Spend time with people over the age of 70 and under the age of 6.
29. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
30. What other people think of you is insignificant compared to what you think of yourself.
31. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends & family will. Stay in touch.

LIFE:
32. Do the right thing!
33. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
34. (Higher powers) heal everything.
35. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
36. No matter how we feel, get up, dress up, and show up.
37. The best is yet to come.
38. When we awake alive in the morning, be thankful.
39. Our Inner most is always happy. Release your "Inner Happy" on the world every day!

from http://www.prana.com/blog/2010/01/02/handbook-for-life-2010/

;D

^^ I also find this helpful. I was then reminded of what fox said how colorful my life is. Hehehe!

Quote from: mang juan on January 26, 2011, 04:28:12 PM
Handbook for Life

HEALTH:
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like beggar.
3. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is
manufactured in plants.
4. Live with the 3 E's — Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy.
5. Make time to meditate.
6. (Breathe)
7. Read more books than you did in 2009.
8. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
9. Sleep for 7 hours.
10. Take a 10-30 minute walk daily. And while you walk, smile.

PERSONALITY:

11. Comparing our lives to others is fruitless. We have no idea what their journey is about.
12. Replace negative thoughts with positive ones especially about things out of our control. Invest energy in the positive present moment.
13. Try not to over do. Understand limits.
14. Why take ourselves so seriously. No one else does.
15. Gossip drains precious energy.
16. Dream more while we are awake.
17. Envy is a waste of time. We already have all we need.
18. Forget issues of the past. Let go of our partners mistakes of the past. Focus on our present/future happiness.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
20. Make peace with our past so it won't spoil the present.
21. No one is in charge of our happiness except us.
22. Realize that life is a school and we are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons we learn will last a lifetime.
23. Smile and laugh more.
24. We don't have to win arguments. It's ok to agree to disagree.

SOCIETY:
25. Call your family often.
26. Each day give something good to others.
27. Forgive everyone for everything.
28. Spend time with people over the age of 70 and under the age of 6.
29. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
30. What other people think of you is insignificant compared to what you think of yourself.
31. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends & family will. Stay in touch.

LIFE:
32. Do the right thing!
33. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
34. (Higher powers) heal everything.
35. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
36. No matter how we feel, get up, dress up, and show up.
37. The best is yet to come.
38. When we awake alive in the morning, be thankful.
39. Our Inner most is always happy. Release your "Inner Happy" on the world every day!

from http://www.prana.com/blog/2010/01/02/handbook-for-life-2010/

;D
really thoughts worthy to ponder

10 things all single people must do
By Amy Spencer

Here, we offer a checklist of experiences for single people to try before settling down.

1. Travel alone. Whether you're trying to find your way through the Paris Metro or the London Underground, haggling over a painting in Mexico or choosing where to bed down in the Badlands, traveling by yourself builds a confidence you simply can't get any other way. In an unfamiliar place, you have to make decisions by yourself, for yourself every day, which will build a self-reliance you'll always treasure — even when you become part of a twosome.

2. Wallow in the ache of a broken heart. Oh, the pain. The agony. The pints of Ben & Jerry's in front of the cable TV. Yep, getting dumped is beyond awful, but guess what? It's the only way that you'll develop the empathy you'll need to be a better partner in a relationship. Because if you're sensitive to the grief someone else has caused you, you're less likely to do the same to anyone else. So, consider this painful milestone a lesson in karma that'll serve you well as you travel through your dating days.

3. Spend a weekend with a married couple your age. On lonely nights, it's common for single folk to envision marriage as a cozy scene from a classic film or mail-order catalog. But by spending 48 hours with a real couple, you'll learn that in between the snuggling and pet names comes growling, bickering, silent treatments and maybe even a slammed door or two before they ultimately compromise. It will show you what married life is like, warts and all, so you won't over-idealize the two-becomes-one phenomenon again.

4. Don't come home all night. That's right, wild thing. Crash on a friend's couch, take your friends up on that offer of a last-minute trip... Once you have a mate, you can't just take off on your own without explanation. And, truthfully, you won't want to. So if you don't have someone you have to call and check in with every few hours, take this opportunity to check out!

5. Stand up for a cause you care about. Whether you volunteer to help register voters for the next election (why not start early?) or convince your neighborhood or apartment complex to start recycling, get fired up over an issue while you have the time to devote to it. It will remind you that while, yes, finding your soul mate is pretty important, there are other issues at stake in the world that could use your help. And besides, the big-heartedness you'll be cultivating is very attractive.

6. Have a real adventure. Learn to fly a plane, surf some big waves, or start your own business. Give yourself a thrill by doing something just for you, just for the experience — without having someone at home worrying about you or nagging you not to. Oh, and one more gift with purchase: Think about how much fun you'll have telling your next date about your daring experience.

7. Learn how to take care of yourself. Being solo shouldn't keep you from cooking for yourself, so learn how to make an impressive meal for one (even if it's mac and cheese with your own added favorite extra thrown in). While you're at it, learn how to back up your hard drive and sew on replacement buttons. You'll feel strong and self-sufficient — and you'll be armed with skills to share when you are in a relationship.

8. Buy something hugely impractical just because you love it. Once you're in a relationship, you'll start thinking about your partner before you purchase pricey items — not just "Will he or she hate it?" but "Is this where I want to be putting my money if we're saving for a wedding?" The single life means a single bank account and an excuse to blow a wad of cash without (some of the) guilt. So, make yourself happy and buy something you crave, whether it's an expensive vintage movie poster or a decked-out mountain bike.

9. Develop a hobby. Learn to woodwork, play acoustic guitar, speak French, DJ on turntables, or make digital short films for fun. Of course you can (and should) still have hobbies when you're dating someone, but your solo time is prime time to devote yourself to something that makes life more interesting for you — and makes you more interesting to others.

10. Be completely, utterly, wholly single for at least three months. Hopping wildly from one relationship to the next can do you a disservice. Why? Because you're never more ripe for self-reflection than when you're on your own — and the more you know yourself, the more likely you are to find someone who's right for the real you.

Amy Spencer writes about relationships and other topics for Glamour, Maxim, Real Simple and Cosmopolitan magazines. She personally swears by all of the above — though she admits to being a little too chummy with number 8 on the list.

parang kalungkot lang basahin kulas...hehe living alone lol

gusto ko yung no.10... the more you know yourself..the more youll find that someone.... marami kasi sa tin specially the singles....di nila nakikita ang mga changes at pangit na ugaling dapat nilang baguhin

Ahahah. Binasa mo din. :) i agree with you!

wow! para akong sinampal sa mukha..

Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends & family will. Stay in touch.

oo nga sa avy mo nga mukhang gusto mo pa iharap yung kabila e hahahaha

"How Good People Turn Evil" – Corruption in the Philippines
Posted on January 31, 2011 by Maria Ressa

http://www.mariaressa.com/how-good-people-turn-evil-corruption-in-the-philippines/

;D

[Verse of the Day]

Ephesians 4:2

With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love...

"The Rite" Roundup – UPDATED

January 28, 2011 by Elizabeth Scalia

It's not on my "must see" list, but then again, I am a crank who doesn't like going to the movies, anyway (although True Grit did lure me), but The Rite opens today and it seems many people are aching to explore a theme of exorcism, so here is a round-up of sorts:

Start with the book by Matt Baglio which uber-reader Julie Davis says "gets it right":

Undoubtedly, when the film is released, it will be sensational, but reading The Rite may deliver more authentic chills; without the CGI there is still imagination, and with a book there is something more: readers get to "watch over Father Thomas's shoulder" as it were, and to make the same spiritual journey, asking the same questions he asked, making the same discoveries. . .

One thing that keeps bothering me is the silly narrative that sends a seminarian "with doubts" to Rome to learn about exorcism:

One discrepancy Fr. Thomas pointed out was that he went to Rome as a 50-year-old seasoned priest with a desire to learn more about the rite of exorcism – hardly a cynical seminarian in the midst of a faith crisis. Despite the differences, however, he called the film "very good."

"The human side of the priesthood is very well developed," he said, adding that the portrayal of "the institutional Church comes out very positively."

I've read in several places that the film is an overall "win" for the church and the priesthood, which could use one. If Hollywood needs "a hottie in a cassock" for that to happen, so be it.

John Zmirak, over at Inside Catholic has some fun with a must-read post that had me laughing out loud but also pondering deeply. It is almost too-good to excerpt:

". . . it bothers me that so many of the movies promoted this way are not really "spiritual," much less Christian; they're simply bland and inoffensive.

The Catholic faith is neither. In fact, like really authentic Mexican food (think habeneros and fried crickets), it is at once both pungent and offensive. It offends me all the time, with the outrageous demands it makes of my fallen nature and the sheer weirdness of its claims. It asserts that, behind the veil of day-to-day schlepping, of work and laundry and television and microwaved burritos, we live on the front lines of a savage spiritual war waged by invisible entities (deathless malevolent demons and benevolent dead saints) whose winners will enjoy eternal happiness with a resurrected rabbi, and whose losers will writhe forever in unquenchable fire. Sometimes I step back and find myself saying in Jerry Seinfeld's voice: What's with all the craziness? Why can't I just enjoy my soup?"

What follows is even better than that, but as I say, difficult to excerpt. Go read it; I think it's probably the best essay on the film that I've yet read.

Steven Greydanus in Christianity Today has some thoughts on the Devil in Tinseltown but rates The Rite with an overall grade of "B".

Roger Ebert gives it a thumbs up in his interesting and thoughtful review:

Father Michael is not a saint. He enters the seminary as a way to get a four-year college education before taking his vows, and then tries to leave the novitiate. Discovering the cost of his education would then roll over into a $100,000 student loan, he reconsiders and agrees to attend a monthlong course in Rome. This sort of detail is more refreshing than shots of him silhouetted against ancient desert structures while monks intone Gregorian chants.

In Rome, he attends classes, debates scripture, and then is advised to spent some time with an experienced exorcist, Father Lucas Trevant (Anthony Hopkins). This too is from the book by Matt Baglio, although in the book, this priest is Italian. As Hopkins appears onscreen, "The Rite" slips into gear and grows solemn and effective. Hopkins finds a good note for Father Trevant: friendly, chatty, offhand, self-effacing, realistic about demonic possession but not a ranter. He takes the kid along while treating the apparent possession of a pregnant young woman.

That something happens to make people seem possessed I have no doubt. Diagnosing whether Satan is involved is above my pay grade. What I must observe is that demonic possession seems very rare, and the Church rejects the majority of such reports. Yet it approaches epidemic proportions in "The Rite," almost as if it were a virus. The film is like one of those war movies where everybody gets wounded but John Wayne.

Still, I found myself drawn in. It is sincere. It is not exploitative; a certain amount of screaming, frothing and thrashing comes with the territory. My own guess is that people get the demons they deserve. While true believers go into frenzies, the Masters of Wall Street more cruelly lose joy in their wives and homes.