☾ The ☆ Astronomy ☄ Thread ☽

Started by carpediem, April 26, 2011, 11:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc carl, there was a really good meteor shower last week, and another one 2nd week of may. Pero being in the tropics, it won't be as noticeable. :(

Quote from: Luc on April 29, 2011, 05:18:36 PM
Doc carl, there was a really good meteor shower last week, and another one 2nd week of may. Pero being in the tropics, it won't be as noticeable. :(

talaga??? haven't been in touch lately with my source of info re: meteor showers... haaay. got any news when's the next spectacular show?

Philippine sky observers: Check out the eastern sky later just before dawn and see this spectacular sky show! :) Clear skies!

@mang juan: ayaw lumutaw ang pic.

@doc cocoy: Eta Aquarid meteor shower - May 5. kaya lang nga best seen sa southern hemisphere, pero nakikita din daw nmn sa taga northern - kaya lang nga before dawn ito mag-p-peak.

talaga jambee? :-p

ue, dati nagigising pa talaga ako ng madaling araw para lang manood ng shower. :-)

^will try to catch it doc if i manage to wake up early.

Cosmologists say we are lucky to live in this era. If we were born later, we would not be able to observe and appreciate the celestial bodies, as they are rapidly accelerating away from us due to the expansion of the universe.

May 5 May 5 May 5 May 5. Hehehe. Para di ko makalimutan. Hehehe.

Quote from: Luc on May 02, 2011, 05:51:05 PM
doc, txt mo ako pag magsimula na. ;D

madali ka lang magising sa text message lang? hehe. sige sige. sana ako di rin makatulog niyan. haha.

PAGASA: 2011's finest planetary alignments to occur in May

Five planets will align at least three more times this month in what state astronomers considered as the "finest planetary conjunctions" of this year.

The Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said the planets will line up in the eastern horizon at 5 a.m. on May 9, 13, and 30.

"Mars, Jupiter, Mercury, Venus, Uranus and Neptune will be found lining-up above the eastern horizon ... (For) Uranus and Neptune (stargazers) will be needing a star map and a binocular or a modest-sized telescope for its proper viewing," PAGASA acting administrator Nathaniel Servando said in PAGASA's astronomical diary for May.

"Saturn will be visible in the evening sky throughout the month. The Ringed planet will be located among the background stars of the constellation Virgo," he added.

Also, he said the planets will lie among the background stars of the constellation Pisces, except for Neptune, which will be found at the constellation of Aquarius.

He said the first line-up already occurred last May 1.

Big Dipper

Servando also said that after sunset, the grouping of stars known as Big Dipper is well placed high in the northeastern sky.

"The North Star Polaris can easily be located under normal weather condition by using the reference or the pointing stars namely Dubhe and Merak. By using their distance, an imaginary line can be drawn downward passing to these two stars and counting five times," he said.

Polaris is the end point star of the handle of the Small Dipper while the curved handle of the Big Dipper is pointing towards a bright orange star Arcturus of the constellation Bootes. — LBG, GMA News

source: http://www.gmanews.tv/story/219654/nation/pagasa-2011s-finest-planetary-alignments-to-occur-in-may

I missed the meteor shower. It was this dawn. Hanggang 3am lang kinaya ko kagabi :(

Argh!!!! I missed the meteor shower!!! :'c :'c :'c

Waaaahh!!! I missed the best show of the Aquarids last May 6... huhuhuhuhu!!! :'c